• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DC Grantham leaving UGa for Louisville

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta get out of Dodge while the getting is good. Richt doesn't have many free passes left and while it's not his fault this year it's going to be tough to replace Murray. The name of the game for assistant coaches is long term quality employment and you have to think he has 5 years with Petrino at least if he can perform. Not sure he has that long at Georgia so the move for him is sound.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petrino said he'd let him borrow his "motorcycle" :wink:

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really only had one dominant unit at Georgia. I think he is a good DC though. I bet Georgia will replace him with a good one.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still cant believe randy shannon hasnt gotten another dc position. Nab him from arky.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this happens if Louisville doesn't make the jump to ACC.

It's now considered a lateral move.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had some time to think it through ...

1. For many Dawg fans, this is a blessing in disguise. Not many of us have been satisfied with him as a coach. He came in and got everyone fired up with his passion which was the polar opposite of Richt. But, the D has digressed each year. With all the talent we had last year, there was no excuse for our D. So, I don't think many tears will he shed.

2. Personally, I liked him and his passion. So, I don't like to see that go away.

3. I am not worried about any of our commits. No one committed to UGa is going to follow the DC to Louisville. This isn't like when Rodney Gardner went to Auburn and took several commits with him.

4. I can't see how we can do worse than we were this year. Granted, that had a lot to do with age ... we started 6-7 Freshman during the year. But, the D just never seemed to be set, and were always scrambling.

5. Richt is safe for a while. Those not Dawgs don't understand how entrenched Richt is with the alumni that counts. Fortunately, the grass is greener crowd isn't in control at UGa. This move didn't have anything to do with Richt's security.

6. In that our Defensive Back coach also left for "personal reasons" this seems to be a D house cleaning, but in a way that is letting them move on without the stain of being fired. I could be wrong, but I get that feel.

It will be interesting to see who we get.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had some time to think it through ...

1. For many Dawg fans, this is a blessing in disguise. Not many of us have been satisfied with him as a coach. He came in and got everyone fired up with his passion which was the polar opposite of Richt. But, the D has digressed each year. With all the talent we had last year, there was no excuse for our D. So, I don't think many tears will he shed.

2. Personally, I liked him and his passion. So, I don't like to see that go away.

3. I am not worried about any of our commits. No one committed to UGa is going to follow the DC to Louisville. This isn't like when Rodney Gardner went to Auburn and took several commits with him.

4. I can't see how we can do worse than we were this year. Granted, that had a lot to do with age ... we started 6-7 Freshman during the year. But, the D just never seemed to be set, and were always scrambling.

5. Richt is safe for a while. Those not Dawgs don't understand how entrenched Richt is with the alumni that counts. Fortunately, the grass is greener crowd isn't in control at UGa. This move didn't have anything to do with Richt's security.

6. In that our Defensive Back coach also left for "personal reasons" this seems to be a D house cleaning, but in a way that is letting them move on without the stain of being fired. I could be wrong, but I get that feel.

It will be interesting to see who we get.

UGA ranking of total D by year

2010 - 23rd
2011 - 5th
2012 - 32nd
2013 - 45th

Seems to have done pretty good to me.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA ranking of total D by year

2010 - 23rd
2011 - 5th
2012 - 32nd
2013 - 45th

Seems to have done pretty good to me.
Well, 5 > 32 > 45 is digressing, like I said. The most important defensive stat is we were 79th in scoring defense.

If, with the talent UGa has, being ranked at those levels is something you think is pretty good, then we just have to agree to disagree. I think 5 of our D players last year were starting or playing substantial time on Sunday this year ... and we were 32nd.

As I stated, I liked Grantham's passion. But, if you followed the Dawgs like I did, they just weren't coached very well. They didn't tackle well, and they always seemed not to be set and ready when the ball was snapped.

I'm not a grass is greener guy, so I would have been fine had he stayed ... he is a good coach. But, I think a new start for him and the Dawgs might be a good thing.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dawg fans seem to be fine with mediocrity. You guys are perfectly happy with high early rankings and tanking every single season.

Some friends of mine were discussing this earlier today. If Georgia was like say NY, or Boston, or Philly.......Richt would have been canned years ago. Those cities, those fans......they simply do NOT accept mediocrity.

Georgia fans seem perfectly content with Richt losing 2-4 games a year. At some point you guys will wake up and realize that you have to DEMAND excellence, and expect it. Richt has failed to deliver.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dawg fans seem to be fine with mediocrity. You guys are perfectly happy with high early rankings and tanking every single season.

Some friends of mine were discussing this earlier today. If Georgia was like say NY, or Boston, or Philly.......Richt would have been canned years ago. Those cities, those fans......they simply do NOT accept mediocrity.

Georgia fans seem perfectly content with Richt losing 2-4 games a year. At some point you guys will wake up and realize that you have to DEMAND excellence, and expect it. Richt has failed to deliver.
LOL :L

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA is going to make a push for Kirby Smart from the bammers.....so I am told.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that, but unless there is a coach in waiting type thing, I can't see it happening. And, I don't think I see the coach in waiting thing working, as Richt is pretty solid with the Alumni that matter. Plus the coach in waiting thing seems to be out of fashion right now. Seen Gibbs from Houston mentioned. Narduzzi from MSU has been mentioned, but not sure that a lateral move like that works unless he sees the SEC connection doing something to help him get a HC job.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that, but unless there is a coach in waiting type thing, I can't see it happening. And, I don't think I see the coach in waiting thing working, as Richt is pretty solid with the Alumni that matter. Plus the coach in waiting thing seems to be out of fashion right now. Seen Gibbs from Houston mentioned. Narduzzi from MSU has been mentioned, but not sure that a lateral move like that works unless he sees the SEC connection doing something to help him get a HC job.

Coach in waiting is definitely (or the equivocal nod under the table) being thrown around from what I understand. Some see Richt retiring in the not so distant future.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach in waiting is definitely (or the equivocal nod under the table) being thrown around from what I understand. Some see Richt retiring in the not so distant future.
Richt is only 53, so I can't see him volunteering to have a replacement sitting behind him. We shall see.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea i Think they are gonna try to take him from us. If he does go I got a feeling we will get Jeremy Pruitt from FSU to replace him.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i Think they are gonna try to take him from us. If he does go I got a feeling we will get Jeremy Pruitt from FSU to replace him.
It's kind of amazing the chain reactions that set off when a coach leaves.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of amazing the chain reactions that set off when a coach leaves.

Yea I know. I think only way Kirby would leave is if Richt is about to be fired or retire within next 3 or 4 years. Otherwise I think he stays at DC for bama until Georgia or Bamas head coaching position open.