• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Data study on decreasing musical diversity in pop hits ...

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Are Hit Songs Becoming Less Musically Diverse?

These guys analyzed a dataset from the Music Genome project.
The data is produced by music analysts, who score a song on 400 attributes that span genre, vocals, tempo, key, and instruments.
They found that over time, the attributes have been converging in chart hits. Discusses "Track-and-hook" where different instrumental tracks are produced by different teams, like an industrial setting. Also, the top 10 is being dominated by a smaller group of producers, creating more homogeneity.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music is garbage now. Especially in the country and hip-hop genres. It all sounds the same. Over produced, under talented.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music pretty much sucks right now. Country is geared towards fagboys, pop, well its pop and it has always sucked. But when I hear swatches of what my daughter listens too it all pretty much sounds the same

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music doesn’t suck right now, it’s just as good as it ever was, you just have to work harder to find it, or stick with bands from the era(s) you like.

Pop music sucks right now, which I’m pretty sure is what you mean anyway...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It annoys me when people call artists like Luke Bryan or Brady Paisley "country".

It's literally pop music with a dude wearing a cowboy hat and putting a slight twangy sound in his guitar. It's just the trend for pop right now... if it was the 80's. They'd have big hair and dress like Prince, The Flock of Seagulls or a hair metal band. They're pop idols. It's not country music. lol

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music doesn’t suck right now, it’s just as good as it ever was, you just have to work harder to find it, or stick with bands from the era(s) you like.

This, pretty much. Popular music from the center to the fringe is easily the shittiest it's ever been.

Independent or small label music is the arguably the best it's ever been, and the accessibility thereof is hands down the best it's ever been. The "work harder" part is misleading, because finding new music along the lines of bands you like has never been more accessible.

It's like beer. Pop music is fuggin Coors light. There are countless microbrews that are amazing.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is pretty much spot on. There's still some interesting stuff out there; you just won't find it on your local AM/FM radio dial.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the pop bands are hard at work making the next 'Surfin USA' and not the next 'Pet Sounds'