• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys vs. Redskins Rivalry WTF?

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please. Someone explain the whole Cowboys vs.Redskins rivalry. The two teams are not geographically close. And the whole "cowboys and indians thang is stupid on the face of it. Maybe I'm biased because I'm more of a college football fan.

But all that aside. I will hate the Cowboys because of Jerry Jones. End of story.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called history. Look it up.

They have played each other over 110 times. Same division.

The rivalry between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins is called the top NFL rivalry of all time and "one of the greatest in sports" by Sports Illustrated.The two franchises have won 31 combined division titles and ten NFL Championships, including eight combined Super Bowls. They are the two wealthiest franchises in the NFL. The rivalry started in 1960 when the Cowboys joined the league as an expansion team. During that year they were in separate conferences, but played once during the season. Since 1961, Dallas has been in the same division as the Redskins.

It isn't as long as some of the NFC North rivalries (Bears/Packers have played 188 games since 1933!) but it has still been a top match up for about 54 years now.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also has to do with when the Cowboys came into the league, George Preston Marshall, the owner of the Redskins at the time, fought tooth and nail to keep it from happening. The Redskins were the "team of the South" in their minds (and in practice when you consider they were the last team to integrate), and did not want another team poaching that territory. The owner of the Cowboys (sorry, I forget his name) purchased the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" and told GPM that he couldn't use the song. Not long after, an agreement was made and the Cowboys came to be and the Redskins got their song back.

However, what really made the rivalry take off was George Allen in the early 70's. The Cowboys had been really, really good, and the Redskins had not. Lombardi started the turn-around for the 'Skins in his one year in Washington, and Allen took them to the next level. The Cowboys were the team to beat in the NFC, and Allen set his sights on them and made it publicly known that he and his team were coming after the Cowboys. He instilled a sense of hate in his team and the town towards Dallas. They became the two best teams in the division over the next 20-25 years (with significant seasons from Philly, NY, and the Cardinals thrown in for good measure, and some bad Cowboy teams in the late 80's that led to even more success). It is by far the most successful long-term success in the Redskins' history, and it started with Allen gunning for and calling out the Cowboys.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a divisional rivalry. Cowboys and Indians. What more do you need.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was that dale Earnhardt dude anyway? Wtf is so special about him?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys/redskins has always been THE rivalry in the east, eagles fans try real hard but they have no history of success so they're just the little brother eating scraps from our NFC east table.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its because they have been historically good teams.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Jimmy Johnson's first year in Dallas, the Cowboys won ONE football game.....against the best team in the league....you guessed it.....It is what it is

Shield-Thread Killa

Tribal Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 876.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....

Did you notice the GRUDEN N CO....didn't use the word REDSKINS..

"Washington is bringing the all on blitz look" "Washington might want to leave MCCOY in for another week." Scardy cats..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to love these college guys coming onto the NFL board. I figured if they would understand anything it would be rivalries as that is pretty much what college football is based on with so much history. They can't think they are the only group that has that right? Every team has that one team that they just cannot wait to beat. For me even when the Raiders are horrible like they have been for the past 10 years I celebrate probably more than any other win during the regular season when the Broncos beat them. I can't stand that team. It is the same for the Redskins and Cowboys. They can't stand each other even if one of the teams or both of the teams stink. It is a great classic rivalry that has been historically the top rivalry in all the NFL.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....

Did you notice the GRUDEN N CO....didn't use the word REDSKINS..

"Washington is bringing the all on blitz look" "Washington might want to leave MCCOY in for another week." Scardy cats..

A lot of broadcasters have been doing that with their games.

Shield-Thread Killa

Tribal Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 876.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I AGREE BRONCOS SUCK BUT I LOVE THE MATCHUPS

Got to love these college guys coming onto the NFL board. I figured if they would understand anything it would be rivalries as that is pretty much what college football is based on with so much history. They can't think they are the only group that has that right? Every team has that one team that they just cannot wait to beat. For me even when the Raiders are horrible like they have been for the past 10 years I celebrate probably more than any other win during the regular season when the Broncos beat them. I can't stand that team. It is the same for the Redskins and Cowboys. They can't stand each other even if one of the teams or both of the teams stink. It is a great classic rivalry that has been historically the top rivalry in all the NFL.

Here are a few I can think of, but my favorite is like your favorite...RAIDERS>BRONCOS

RAIDERS>STEELERS
STEELERS>COWBOYS
COLTS>PATS
PACKERS>BEARS>LIONS>VIKES
BROWNS>BENGALS

NEW SCHOOL

NINERS>SEAHAGS
RAVENS>NINERS
COWBOYS>SEAHAGS
PATS>BRONCOS
BOLTS>BEARS:lame:I hate RIVERS N GUTLES:lame:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints/falcons is a great rivalry...been going on since the nfc west days

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Rivers and Cutler as well but not sure that is a rivalry. They only play each other now once every 4 years so most likely in their career from here on out they will be lucky to play 2 more times. Can't really call that a rivalry since Cutler left the AFC West whining the whole way out.

I would also say the Cowboys Seahawks rivalry isn't really a rivalry. It is too young right now to even be close to that. Until they play each other a few more times and maybe at a more crucial part of the season where it is playoff deciding it just can't be that kind of rivalry.

The rest I mostly agree with. You forgot though the Ravens/Steelers rivalry. For quite a few years there that was the best one in football. The last couple since the Steelers have been down a bit haven't been quite as good but man those two teams hate each other and it always seems to come down to the very end for them.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints/falcons is a great rivalry...been going on since the nfc west days

Ah, the good old days, when the geographical centre of the NFC East was further west than that of the NFC West...

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys and Redskins rivalry is a great one. Never heard anyone talk down on this one.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys / Seahawks???

:wtf2: