• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Continue to throw bricks at Fordman's head

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Ron Jaworski wouldn't draft Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "in the first three rounds."

"I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong — and often accurate — opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.

never mention the J word & the Cowboys again Fordman or else :becky:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Ron Jaworski wouldn't draft Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "in the first three rounds."

"I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong — and often accurate — opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.

never mention the J word & the Cowboys again Fordman or else :becky:

I see this as a true thing and I agree.........

But not a good thing ..... I don't want that bitch falling anywhere near where he would even be considered by the Cowboys ...EVEN in the 3rd round

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was interesting when they put all the QB's college highlights side by side. It looked like Manziel had the weakest arm of any QB shown, by far. A lot of the throws he made in college were after he had run around and given his WR's time to uncover. It's hard to imagine him throwing into NFL windows from the pocket. He looks like the kind of guy, that if he were in a spread attack, could get by, but if the team ran any sort of traditional NFL offense, he could be a massive bust

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was interesting when they put all the QB's college highlights side by side. It looked like Manziel had the weakest arm of any QB shown, by far. A lot of the throws he made in college were after he had run around and given his WR's time to uncover. It's hard to imagine him throwing into NFL windows from the pocket. He looks like the kind of guy, that if he were in a spread attack, could get by, but if the team ran any sort of traditional NFL offense, he could be a massive bust

He looks like Tim Tebow

Those windows in college are ALOT larger than they are in the pros .......

I DO NOT see Manziel as an NFL Qb ..... having been saying it for 2 years now

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading about a lot of players in this years draft. The 1st round is seeming pretty scary. Sounds like their will be a bunch of busts in the 1st. It makes me want to trade back even more.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading about a lot of players in this years draft. The 1st round is seeming pretty scary. Sounds like their will be a bunch of busts in the 1st. It makes me want to trade back even more.

This is actually a draft that sets up perfectly for us if we stick to the script. With all the QB's, OL, WR's and LB's being projected early, we may well have our choice of any number of defensive players who look like safe bets to start day one. If Dallas is sitting there at 16, and Jernigan, Donald, Nix, Ealy, Dix and Pryor are all still on the board, why not trade down 4-5 spots like you're saying and add another kid in the 2nd or 3rd round of this deep draft who might have been a 1st rounder in last years weaker draft

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually a draft that sets up perfectly for us if we stick to the script. With all the QB's, OL, WR's and LB's being projected early, we may well have our choice of any number of defensive players who look like safe bets to start day one. If Dallas is sitting there at 16, and Jernigan, Donald, Nix, Ealy, Dix and Pryor are all still on the board, why not trade down 4-5 spots like you're saying and add another kid in the 2nd or 3rd round of this deep draft who might have been a 1st rounder in last years weaker draft
its the big names that could be big busts. Some are very popular names on here. I am not up enough on these players to say they will be. But I do see when everything comes out in the wash a lot of 2nd round picks might very well end up being much better than some of these very popular names. I just see the 1st round this year much more dangerous/risky than other years 1st rounds.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can gives Jaws a lot more credit than the kipers of the world for giving his own evaluations. You ever notice all the so called experts pretty much say the same things. never hear them claiming one of the top names isn't gonna be that good.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I often repeat the same things and I do 100% agree with your premise of "if all else is equal add a pick",,,BUT...it's usually not. Don't assume the team sees these guys the same as you. Fans take a group of guys they like and that they see the mock drafts value around our spot and think they are equal. Or a few guys at the same position of need and think anyone of them will do. We have scouts that spend months looking at every aspect of every player, so I'm guessing if you throw a random group of 4 or 5 guys like that at the team that they don't have them anywhere near equal. They may look at the group you mention and only see one player they think is worth a first round pick. Also, I'd like the team to be proactive and make our pick, not reactive and take whomever the other teams don't want out of the group. Just make the pick is my hope!!!

The more likely scenario for the trade down is when no one they like is there. Biggest thing though is deciding to trade down ahead of time. That would be asinine. You need to wait until the board comes to you to see what's there. When I see fans (not saying you did) say I hope we trade down two months ahead of time, or even a day before I always shake my head unless they are focusing on a particular scenario.

Now me personally, I kind of like all the guys you mentioned. I wouldn't use #16 on Nix, but I do like him. If I am the team with the scenario you posted above I grab Dix and second choice would be Ealy, but my gut tells me the team is going to grab Ealy or maybe Donald if presented with that scenario.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to publicly apologize to Schmoopy for questioning his fandom. I relent :pound:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its the big names that could be big busts. Some are very popular names on here. I am not up enough on these players to say they will be. But I do see when everything comes out in the wash a lot of 2nd round picks might very well end up being much better than some of these very popular names. I just see the 1st round this year much more dangerous/risky than other years 1st rounds.

I think that is possible also. That is one of the reasons I don't think we have to go DL in the first. Yes, we need DL, but it doesn't have to be in the first round. We should be able to find a starting DL in the 2nd and a rotational DL in the 3rd...don't be surprised if one of the top 3 OTs is there if we grab one.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is possible also. That is one of the reasons I don't think we have to go DL in the first. Yes, we need DL, but it doesn't have to be in the first round. We should be able to find a starting DL in the 2nd and a rotational DL in the 3rd...don't be surprised if one of the top 3 OTs is there if we grab one.

My first thought was I don't think Jerry goes OL in the 1st because of the massive defensive needs, then I immediately thought that since his last two 1st round OLmen worked out he may think that's the best option. Ill be honest and say I haven't given OL in the 1st three rounds a thought so I haven't even looked at them yet. Maybe I need too.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought was I don't think Jerry goes OL in the 1st because of the massive defensive needs, then I immediately thought that since his last two 1st round OLmen worked out he may think that's the best option. Ill be honest and say I haven't given OL in the 1st three rounds a thought so I haven't even looked at them yet. Maybe I need too.

I don't think we go there unless the value is too good to pass up. But, the top 3 tackles are being called better than last years top 3 (who all went real early) in some things I've heard. I'll be honest, even though I don't just "watch the ball" during Football games and do watch the OL a lot, I haven't focused enough on these guys to decide if that is true or not so I need to go by the opinions of others. But he also made a comment the other day that our best chance to win is a healthy Romo. I'm still not sold on the right side of our OL right now. You grab a Tackle and make Free and MB fight over a job and it certainly makes our team better. Also, what happens if Smith doesn't want to resign with us (or gets hurt)? I can't ignore DL, but we have more than one pick to look there.

I've never been one to look at the draft as a one year scenario. I'm not taking DL because it's a need right now unless the player we are taking is ALSO a good pick. Luckily for us I think the DL that will be available at #16 this year will also be good value and smart picks. It will be hard for Jerry to screw up this pick. Just sit back and take the guy the guys you pay tell you to.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I often repeat the same things and I do 100% agree with your premise of "if all else is equal add a pick",,,BUT...it's usually not. Don't assume the team sees these guys the same as you. Fans take a group of guys they like and that they see the mock drafts value around our spot and think they are equal. Or a few guys at the same position of need and think anyone of them will do. We have scouts that spend months looking at every aspect of every player, so I'm guessing if you throw a random group of 4 or 5 guys like that at the team that they don't have them anywhere near equal. They may look at the group you mention and only see one player they think is worth a first round pick. Also, I'd like the team to be proactive and make our pick, not reactive and take whomever the other teams don't want out of the group. Just make the pick is my hope!!!

The more likely scenario for the trade down is when no one they like is there. Biggest thing though is deciding to trade down ahead of time. That would be asinine. You need to wait until the board comes to you to see what's there. When I see fans (not saying you did) say I hope we trade down two months ahead of time, or even a day before I always shake my head unless they are focusing on a particular scenario.

Now me personally, I kind of like all the guys you mentioned. I wouldn't use #16 on Nix, but I do like him. If I am the team with the scenario you posted above I grab Dix and second choice would be Ealy, but my gut tells me the team is going to grab Ealy or maybe Donald if presented with that scenario.

I get what you're saying 100%, that's just the way I would handle a trade down. I would be happy with any of those 6 guys in the first round, I think any of the six would have a chance to start next year. Knowing I would be happy with any of those 6, I would let the teams picking 17-21 that I would be willing to move down for their 2nd round pick. If the price were too high, I'd sit tight and take my pick. If they came with their 2nd, it's possible that I could end up with two or three of the guys on the list, because as you said, other teams might not value the same players I do

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bring up some good points about Manziel. I think he needs to adjust his game. I don't see him as tebow, but don't see him as an elite prospect either. Tebow was never able to throw accurately on the run of from the pocket and had a very slow release. Manziel can improvise and throw while on the run. Manziel probably fit on a Chip Kelley type offense and succeed. The main bust I see is Carr.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Manziel fits in a traditional pro offense. Whoever takes him will need to adjust to him or he will fail. Kind of like how Brandon Carr and Claiborne failed last season. Why even have those guys if they don't fit the defense?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel is gonna be a Eric Crouch I think his name was. Only without any speed. If he didnt have that upset on his resume I wonder if anyone would really even know who he was?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel is gonna be a Eric Crouch I think his name was. Only without any speed. If he didnt have that upset on his resume I wonder if anyone would really even know who he was?

He was making waves prior to Bama. His game against OU was a pretty significant one as well.

Was Crouch faster than Manziel?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure seems 99% of the people are so confident that this kid will either ABSOLUTELY be a complete bust or a total superstar...My guess is that it's more likely that it's neither...

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was making waves prior to Bama. His game against OU was a pretty significant one as well.

Was Crouch faster than Manziel?

I honestly don't remember. Think the Rams drafted him, & they tried to convert him to RB or WR. He really wasn't a good QB & think the Rams knew that. Only reason I can think of to draft him anyways if he was fast.