• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Conference Finals: Washington Capitals v. Tampa Bay Lightning

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to hear Mike Milbury's thoughts on the game.

Nah, just kidding

They had a long stretch without him in the studio and it was SO much better. Jones is outstanding and I thought he and Eddie Olczyk were really strong together.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This series is living up to the old cliche, "its not a series until tje home team wins":scratch:
Wait that cant be right, can it?:noidea:

That bodes well for the Caps, tjey have tje road ice advantage:scratch:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the cornerstones I instill in the teams I coach is that hockey is a very fast game of inches. The best you can do is go out and play in such a way that puts the pressure on the other team to make the play to beat you. You only "lose" when you make it easy on the other team.

The Caps didn't give anything away, the Bolts just made the plays when it counted. That includes Vasilevsky.

Shots on goal has pretty much nothing to do with indicating how a game went for a team. You can fire 100 shots from the blue line and get the same number of goals as you do shooting three from just outside the crease. Shots on goal means bupkus if they aren't quality shots. Not saying that all the Caps shots were low Quality last night, but just because the Caps got more shots doesn't mean they played the better game.

Tampa won loose puck battles, covered well on the backcheck and had better zone entries. They kept the attacking Caps to the outside and made them work to get to the danger areas. IMO, Tampa was the better team last night.

And one team can be better without the other being terrible.

I was always under the impression that the team that created the most, and best, scoring opportunities was the team that was playing the best, And that was clearly Washington. One of the stats referenced the most often in hockey is shots on goal, they do that for a reason just as total yards are used in football to show how the game is going.

But what do I know, I never pretended to be a hard core hockey fan so I'll defer to others here.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard hitting analysis.
Here is some for ya....Whoever wins game 5 will most likely win the series. :L

I wonder how many times we are going to hear that statement from Pierre tonight?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always under the impression that the team that created the most, and best, scoring opportunities was the team that was playing the best, And that was clearly Washington. One of the stats referenced the most often in hockey is shots on goal, they do that for a reason just as total yards are used in football to show how the game is going.

But what do I know, I never pretended to be a hard core hockey fan so I'll defer to others here.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh there. It is an indicator, just not one of the prime ones IMO. All you can determine from a high shot total is the shooting team has had possession, not necessarily that they are outplaying the opponent.

Like hits, the only thing you can tell from hit counts is that the team with the higher number doesn't have the puck.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I was a tad harsh there. It is an indicator, just not one of the prime ones IMO. All you can determine from a high shot total is the shooting team has had possession, not necessarily that they are outplaying the opponent.

Like hits, the only thing you can tell from hit counts is that the team with the higher number doesn't have the puck.

Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I was serious when I started it by saying "I was always under the impression..." and was not intending to sound like a smart ass. Like I said I'll defer to the hard cores here but I sure believe what I wrote. They seemed to have the puck in the offensive end a lot more than the Bolts, hence the more shots and more quality opportunities. We saw it on the Pittsburgh series as well, the team that played the best didn't always win the game.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtby is a sieve

giphy.gif

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sirius XM NHL Network is just playing the Tampa radio feed. Espo is hilarious.

It's like he doesn't know he's the color guy, and he's just watching the game with a mic on. The PBP guy is keeping up and at random you hear Espo shout stuff like "NO!", "WATCH THA-good", HOW IS THAT NOT..?"