• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Concussion.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so I see this like the Ray Rice situ. Rice knocked his girl the fuck out. We all heard that Rice knocked his girl the fuck out. When we saw the video, everyone flipped the fuck out.

The NFL hid what they knew about concussions. We all know the NFL hid what they knew about concussions. What changes when this is released? Does it change the facts? Even more so, this is a movie. It will certainly be sensationalized for entertainment porposes. I think that time to rake the NFL over the coals about concussions has passed. They are now atleast giving the appearance of giving a shit about concussions so this movie will not change a thing in my mind about what happened in the past and how it's being handled now. I ask that all of you don't fall in this trap either, especially since this simply a movie.
Ummm,,,no...Let's ignore for a second the COMPLETELY different nature of the tow scenarios (crime versus accusation of the withholding of Medical related information)...One was a video of what really happened, the other is a MOVIE!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have ever thought bashing your helmeted head against another huge guy's helmeted head over and over at high speed would cause damage? Was anyone surprised when doctors finally determined this?

This is something I think most honest ex players would admit they knew but decided it was worth it to play pro ball. Now its a money grab in my opinion not much different than ex smokers saying they didn't cigarettes were bad or fat people suiting MacDonald's because they didn't know fast food was greasy.

Love your post, and I agree.

The only part idk about is this...the NFL handling of concussed players in games and at practice when they knew the potential of long term damage. Regardless of whether a player wanted to go back into a game or not...the league knew enough back then where the concussion protocol that we have today should have been in place 20-30 yrs ago.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm,,,no...Let's ignore for a second the COMPLETELY different nature of the tow scenarios (crime versus accusation of the withholding of Medical related information)...One was a video of what really happened, the other is a MOVIE!!!

not an accusation, a fact. One that has been proven in court and admitted to by some of those who propagated it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is kind of the grey area for me. There is a side representing the NFL and a side that is supposed to represent the players as well called the NFLPA. If the NFLPA suspected their players were being hurt and lied too why didn't they do their own study? I think the main reason why players and their reps didn't look very hard into the problem is because they wanted to be willfully blind to it so they could continue playing and making fat money. All the NFL needed to do was tell the players there is a high risk of concussions if they agree to play in the league, then have they sign a waiver explaining the player was told of the risks. Then it would be on the player and not the league if he got hurt.

Agreed, but they didnt. And they used their power and financial resources to intimidate, buy or discredit anyone who did. And they manipulated medical journals to state that large numbers of concussions had no Long term effects on their players, even though their own scientific results proved otherwise.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have ever thought bashing your helmeted head against another huge guy's helmeted head over and over at high speed would cause damage? Was anyone surprised when doctors finally determined this?

This is something I think most honest ex players would admit they knew but decided it was worth it to play pro ball. Now its a money grab in my opinion not much different than ex smokers saying they didn't cigarettes were bad or fat people suiting MacDonald's because they didn't know fast food was greasy.

Everyone knows hitting your head is bad.
Including the NFL

What makes the NFL a giant pile of steaming hypocritical money grabbing bullshit is two things:
1- Past history of concussions has no affect on likelihood of future concussions. As soon as you stop feeling dizzy, get back out there.
2- Brain damage in retired players is not covered by NFL healthcare, because there is no link demonstrating multiple concussions to long term brain injury.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love your post, and I agree.

The only part idk about is this...the NFL handling of concussed players in games and at practice when they knew the potential of long term damage. Regardless of whether a player wanted to go back into a game or not...the league knew enough back then where the concussion protocol that we have today should have been in place 20-30 yrs ago.

Need a knee replacement at 60 because of football injuries? Its covered by your NFL retiree healthcare policy.

Brain turned to mush at age 60 because of football injuries? Tough titties. Our studies show that brain injuries have nothing to do with brain injuries.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a knee replacement at 60 because of football injuries? Its covered by your NFL retiree healthcare policy.

Brain turned to mush at age 60 because of football injuries? Tough titties. Our studies show that brain injuries have nothing to do with brain injuries.

Fair enough if you are talking about players from 10 or more years back because maybe (and that is a skeptical maybe) didn't know there was a potential for long term brain injury from repeatedly bashing your head over and over playing football. But, anyone who's voluntarily played since the issue was brought to light ought to either accept that the league doesn't pay for brain injuries or find a career that they deem safer. Taking advantage of all the money, perks, women, fame, etc that the NFL has to offer for years on end and then years later just shrugging off the risks with a simple "I didn't know" seems disingenuous to me. There is no way any single player playing right now should be able to claim they were unaware of the risks of CTE. We've already seen some guys quit playing over it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough if you are talking about players from 10 or more years back because maybe (and that is a skeptical maybe) didn't know there was a potential for long term brain injury from repeatedly bashing your head over and over playing football. But, anyone who's voluntarily played since the issue was brought to light ought to either accept that the league doesn't pay for brain injuries or find a career that they deem safer. Taking advantage of all the money, perks, women, fame, etc that the NFL has to offer for years on end and then years later just shrugging off the risks with a simple "I didn't know" seems disingenuous to me. There is no way any single player playing right now should be able to claim they were unaware of the risks of CTE. We've already seen some guys quit playing over it.

Not sure what your point is. Knowing that bashing your brain is bad is synonymous with knowing that your NFL retiree healthcare will cover you when your bashed brain becomes mush.

But the scumbag bean counters at the NFL didn't want to pay out those claims.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what your point is. Knowing that bashing your brain is bad is synonymous with knowing that your NFL retiree healthcare will cover you when your bashed brain becomes mush.

But the scumbag bean counters at the NFL didn't want to pay out those claims.

My point is the NFL doesn't have conscription. Nobody is forced to play in it. You can play or you can work somewhere else. If players today know the NFL is cheap and they won't cover future costs related to brain injuries, yet they decide it's worth the risk anyway and decide to play then I don't think you can blame the NFL at that point is all I'm saying.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's about the size of it...I'm not sure if they ever went back and funded health insurance for the older NFL guys but in '75 a guy gets a concussion in the 1st Qtr...they had you on smelling salts and you'd be back in the game in the 3rd Qtr...today, you're done for a damn a week.

Sure, the players probably would have played the game even if they knew the risks...but imo the reason the league decided to cut checks vs fight this out in court is they know they would have some legal exposure over the handling of concussed players with the information that had on brain trauma.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is the NFL doesn't have conscription. Nobody is forced to play in it. You can play or you can work somewhere else. If players today know the NFL is cheap and they won't cover future costs related to brain injuries, yet they decide it's worth the risk anyway and decide to play then I don't think you can blame the NFL at that point is all I'm saying.

You're either wrong, or don't understand how retiree healthcare works.

The NFL said they would pay for ALL medical care that resulted from ALL old playing injuries.
Brain damage is the result of old playing injuries.
The NFL didn't cover brain damage.

Thus, blame the NFL.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're either wrong, or don't understand how retiree healthcare works.

The NFL said they would pay for ALL medical care that resulted from ALL old playing injuries.
Brain damage is the result of old playing injuries.
The NFL didn't cover brain damage.

Thus, blame the NFL.

Yes, I agreed with you on that point. But going forward from now how can we blame the NFL if people continue to play while knowing they won't be covered? That's on the player as far as I'm concerned.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Today...everything is out on the table in terms of the risk...the league has a much more stringent concussion protocol involving 3rd party doctors that are supposed to be unbiased ...if you end up suffering long term brain damage as a result of the NFL, it will be because you're like Wes Welker....it's all on the players now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not an accusation, a fact. One that has been proven in court and admitted to by some of those who propagated it.
That is your opinion on the summary of the movie. I assume you have seen the whole thing? Any way the point was: One is a video of what really happened and the other is A MOVIE!!! I can only assume you are able to grasp the difference...

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when the vast majority of them say they would do it all over again.
As adults they can make that choice. But some would choose to walk away... as several have recently.
Lying to them about the consequences is reprehensible.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is your opinion on the summary of the movie. I assume you have seen the whole thing? Any way the point was: One is a video of what really happened and the other is A MOVIE!!! I can only assume you are able to grasp the difference...

I'm not even talking about the movie. I don't care about the movie. What it says, or doesn't say has no effect on my opinion of what happened. Testimony of those involved and facts that have come to light over the past decade are what I base my opinion on.

My issue was that you used the term "crime vs accusation", when in fact, they were both crimes. Now, the Rice comparison is a bit of a reach because that was something that unfolded rather quickly because the video "evidence" release caused a stir and removed all doubt. While this took decades to unfold, and even though the evidence now shows that the NFL knowingly spread propaganda for years, people still deny it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agreed with you on that point. But going forward from now how can we blame the NFL if people continue to play while knowing they won't be covered? That's on the player as far as I'm concerned.

Going forward they will be covered.

Because the NFL finally got called out on their bullshit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie leaves out the NFLPA's complicit role in this. Therefore turning this into nothing more than a propaganda hit piece.

Fact

NFLPA wants more money for their players. Pot is only so big. So fuck the retirees.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confused...seems as if you are inferring that Tom Cruise never makes bad movies...

He might have had some stinkers early on in his career....but name a bad Cruise movie in the last 20 years. They might not all be A Few Good Men or The Last Samurai but I don't think he has had a single one where people walk away saying that sucked.