• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Computer buying assistance

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at getting a new laptop and I need some advice. I am not the most computer savvy so I don't really know what I need and what is just an excessive waste of money.

What are some good brands? I think that I get a discount through HP but I am not sure it is so good that I can shop around and find a comparable price on a similar unit from another manufacturer.

I am going back to school so I will mostly be using it for schoolwork although I do plan on burning cd's (possibly dvd's as well but that is not a necessity).

I do like to play music on it but I don't need to stream tv.

Any advice will help me out a lot. I have spent the last week on CNET checking out reviews but most of the technical specs are like reading Chinese to me.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Windows main website has a tutorial about computers and what everything is and does.

You can then tell them what you are using the computer for, and a few other specifics, and they give you a list of computers that would work for your needs.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

oh yeah baby. ITS BACK

C64NewSlide2b.png

It's back... and better than ever! The new Commodore 64 is a modern functional PC as close to the original in design as humanly possible. It houses a modern mini-ITX PC motherboard featuring a Dual Core 525 Atom processor and the latest Nvidia Ion2 graphics chipset. It comes in the original taupe brown/beige color, with other colors to follow.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be fooled into buying a macbook

SO VERY MUCH THIS! They are good machines that have features that 75% of computer users will never benefit from. Not worth it for avaerage users to pay that kind of money.

Also, whatever you pick, don't buy it from Best Buy. They have the exact same brands, they just charge a whole lot more and will spritz hot lava into your eyes if you don't buy their stupid warranty.

I buy most of my computers from here: Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!. It helps that I have a store like 8 miles from my house.

As for good brands:
Dell, if you buy their business models (Latitude). Their consumer models (Inspiron) are built a little cheaper. Their Alienware and XPS machines are great, but like Macs. Unless you have a specific need for the horsepower, it's not worth the money. Check out outlet.dell.com for some deals.

Toshiba - My main laptop is a Toshiba and I friggin love it.

Asus - They used to just make system boards and now they make whole systems. Good quality and not a lot of money.

HP - Pretty bulletproof. Cant go wrong with a company that's been making them for 30+ years.

I would avoid:
Acer, eMachines. They've gotten better now that they are made by Gateway, but they still cut corners making them.

Lenovo - Used to be IBM. But then they got sold to a Chinese company. And it shows. I had one at work and I made them take it back and bought an HP.

Sony - Good machines, but you pay for the name.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toshiba Satellite! Best laptop I've ever had. Bought one in 2002 - still works. I bought another one in 2009. Never had a problem. I think I paid $750 for the one I'm using now.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toshiba Satellite! Best laptop I've ever had. Bought one in 2002 - still works. I bought another one in 2009. Never had a problem. I think I paid $750 for the one I'm using now.

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite to replace my ancient Dell Tower that I had for at least 7 years. So far, no complaints.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friend bought a Toshiba and loves it (he's had it for 2 years I think).

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought my wife a Toshiba Satellite and it has been rock solid for 3 years now.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Mac's and I have heard good stuff about Window's 7. I have a Dell right now and it has been pretty good. I looked at a lot of HP's and I even looked at Lenovo, I may stay away from those now. From the responses in this thread I think I will take a closer look at Toshiba.

What about processors, doing mostly school work and budgeting on it (along with a bit of multimedia) is it worth it to jump up the the new quad core chips or is a dual core going to suffice?

EDIT: I'll stay away from the Lenovo's not the HP's

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately for me I don't need a laptop and just built my computer not too long ago--anyone interested in getting a desktop I strongly suggest you look into building your own. It's much cheaper and isn't hard to do.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the ease of use HP or Toshiba are good choices. I have one of each (wife uses one) and not an issue.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Mac's and I have heard good stuff about Window's 7. I have a Dell right now and it has been pretty good. I looked at a lot of HP's and I even looked at Lenovo, I may stay away from those now. From the responses in this thread I think I will take a closer look at Toshiba.

What about processors, doing mostly school work and budgeting on it (along with a bit of multimedia) is it worth it to jump up the the new quad core chips or is a dual core going to suffice?

EDIT: I'll stay away from the Lenovo's not the HP's

I have a dual core in my desk top and it's great, but I'm sure the quad core is well worth it. I haven't heard anything good about Windows 7, I still use XP and love it.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use W7 at work, but at home I'll stay with XP until I'm forced to.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd recommend mine. It's white and came with a flower design on it.

:whistle:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at getting a new laptop and I need some advice. I am not the most computer savvy so I don't really know what I need and what is just an excessive waste of money.

What are some good brands? I think that I get a discount through HP but I am not sure it is so good that I can shop around and find a comparable price on a similar unit from another manufacturer.

I am going back to school so I will mostly be using it for schoolwork although I do plan on burning cd's (possibly dvd's as well but that is not a necessity).

I do like to play music on it but I don't need to stream tv.

Any advice will help me out a lot. I have spent the last week on CNET checking out reviews but most of the technical specs are like reading Chinese to me.

Have you thought about building your own?

j/k
When asking the same question I have been seriously given that answer.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HP Pavillion dv6tse

2nd generation Dual Core i-5 (2.3Ghz) Processor
6GB Memory
640GB Hard Drive
1GB GDDR5 HD 5490M Graphics (VGA, HDMI)

Now lets see what I can find from Toshiba...