• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Kraken Jokes in Seattle

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they found someone stupid enough to pay 500 mil to get in is astonishing. They really won't find someone to pay 150 mil more, will they?

27-jerry-bruckheimer-top-gun-update.w1200.h630.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the current value of a 50 year old Franchise with 5 cups, including the last two.

And more than 20 of the 31 teams already in existence. 7 of which have won cups as well.

TO START

Forbes' most valuable NHL franchises: Maple Leafs pass Canadiens, still chasing No. 1 Rangers

The fact that they found someone stupid enough to pay 500 mil to get in is astonishing. They really won't find someone to pay 150 mil more, will they?
Considering the Hurricanes were just sold with a valuation of $500 mil, a full $130 million more than Forbes just valued them, I think $130 mil more for a franchise in a market with 2.4 million more people and a deeper corporate base is actually pretty good business.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Murray provide that update via Skype from jolly old England?

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word where an AHL affliate might land.
I figured they must have been saving Sacramento for some reason. They already have a arena and I think they already have a new one in the works ? Reno would be a good backup city

I'd go with the Seattle Chinooks, Seattle could own being a bunch of snooks

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word where an AHL affliate might land.
I figured they must have been saving Sacramento for some reason. They already have a arena and I think they already have a new one in the works ? Reno would be a good backup city

I'd go with the Seattle Chinooks, Seattle could own being a bunch of snooks
Lot can change in the next 3-4 years. My guess is they would look to have one somewhere closer, either Spokane or Portland maybe.

Then again, Vegas' team is in Chicago so maybe Seattle's will be in Atlanta or Tuscaloosa or something.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot can change in the next 3-4 years. My guess is they would look to have one somewhere closer, either Spokane or Portland maybe.

Then again, Vegas' team is in Chicago so maybe Seattle's will be in Atlanta or Tuscaloosa or something.
It seems most of the western teams have reloctaed thier AHL teams to California. I asume it was to bulid a base here and to save money in transportation costs.
Portland ought to have an NHL franchise.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think seattle putting their ahl team in portland would be akin to calgary putting their farm team in abbotsford ... wont work imo

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems most of the western teams have reloctaed thier AHL teams to California. I asume it was to bulid a base here and to save money in transportation costs.
Portland ought to have an NHL franchise.

No. Not on my watch.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think seattle putting their ahl team in portland would be akin to calgary putting their farm team in abbotsford ... wont work imo
The Habs farm team was in Hamilton for 13 years. They were decently successful.

I think having a farm team in a rival's territory can work out if the city is large enough. Abbottsford, like the Sens are finding out with Belleville right now, is too small a town for a rival to try and grow roots of any sort. Portland's huge in comparison.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Habs farm team was in Hamilton for 13 years. They were decently successful.

I think having a farm team in a rival's territory can work out if the city is large enough. Abbottsford, like the Sens are finding out with Belleville right now, is too small a town for a rival to try and grow roots of any sort. Portland's huge in comparison.

I just dont see it ... their whl team is theirs and its well supported. When its a minor league product coming in to town and it represents seattle, i dont see them switching over to support the ahl team ... especially if the ticket is at a higher price point :noidea:

/as far as Abby goes ... when you look at population of that area you have to look at Abbotsford/Langley ... thats over 300K people right there ... it wasnt the size of city that sunk the Heat :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a seattle ahl team in Abby would actually have a better shot at being successful than Calgary did :noidea:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a seattle ahl team in Abby would actually have a better shot at being successful than Calgary did :noidea:

Yup, I agree and it's something that the Moj never understood. Canucks fans can't stand the Flames and vice versa, an AHL affiliate for the Canucks in Airdrie would be a disaster as well. Moj tried to make the analogy with minor league baseball, but baseball doesn't affect people like hockey. It's more on the level of soccer in Europe and you would never have a development team for one team in the backyard of a big rival.

/Unless you enjoy wanton acts of vandalism and occasional violence.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I agree and it's something that the Moj never understood. Canucks fans can't stand the Flames and vice versa, an AHL affiliate for the Canucks in Airdrie would be a disaster as well. Moj tried to make the analogy with minor league baseball, but baseball doesn't affect people like hockey. It's more on the level of soccer in Europe and you would never have a development team for one team in the backyard of a big rival.

/Unless you enjoy wanton acts of vandalism and occasional violence.

a seattle ahl team in Abby would probably only work in the short term because the NHL team rivalry will grow ... the civic/sports rivalry is already there between vancouver and seattle (im cheering for broken legs on both sides for the MLS final game this weekend - lol) but then again there is a higher potential to turn some people in the Fraser valley into Seattle NHL team fans because of the proximity ... there was no way a hockey fan was going to shift allegiances to the Flames organization because of the history ... but shifting support to a seattle hockey team ??? :think: if the canucks continue to shit the bed and seattle gets even better expansion draft terms and builds a good team ??? there are some yokels on the other side of the port mann who have never been across that bridge into the city ... i could see them shifting their support lol

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seattle mayor quote from yesterday ... “We saw the (Vancouver) Canucks are really excited to come here and get beat"

well played lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont see it ... their whl team is theirs and its well supported. When its a minor league product coming in to town and it represents seattle, i dont see them switching over to support the ahl team ... especially if the ticket is at a higher price point :noidea:

/as far as Abby goes ... when you look at population of that area you have to look at Abbotsford/Langley ... thats over 300K people right there ... it wasnt the size of city that sunk the Heat :noidea:
Don't really see why the tickets would jump - London Knights tickets cost $25 taxes in while Marlies tickets go for around $30. The way teams use AHL teams has changed so much that I can't see why a city wouldn't want a team or may not prefer it compared to a CHL team.

Like Groo said, Sacramento may make more sense given where AHL teams are basing these days out west, or they could do like Vegas like I said and just assume a team out east. But given that the Habs have put an AHL team in both Quebec City and the GTA before, or the Flames tried in BC, or Ottawa right now with an AHL team very much in Leafland, it wouldn't surprise at all if they at least tried it.

/Fair enough, but that's still 1/10th of the 3 mil+ people in/around Portland.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read shit in this thread, but as a life long Seattleite this is my feedback:

I think Seattle would be a great city for an NHL team. The MLS team we have got great support. Also, we are a city that loves an excuse to go to a sporting event and spend an excessive amount of money and get drunk. Mariners haven't made the playoffs in 16 or 17 years and the attendance is still very solid for a franchise as pathetic as ours. Half the people who go to Seahawks games don't know shit about football. I don't know shit about hockey, but I'd definitely get really into it if we had a team.

I stopped following the NBA after the Sonics left, but would probably be a huge Sonics fan if they were still here.

Given the proximity to Canada, I'm stunned we don't have a team already. If they came here, I'd immediately learn everything I could find about hockey.

The Sounders set up is why I fear for the friends of mine who do love hockey. The Sounders would've flopped in Seattle or at least been still considered a minor league sport had they stayed at Seattle Center. There are enough fans to generate excitement but without turning casual sports fans into hockey fans it will be a disappointment in Seattle. I don't know squat about hockey but it's not right for hockey fans to get a team and it be treated like a HS sport.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sounders set up is why I fear for the friends of mine who do love hockey. The Sounders would've flopped in Seattle or at least been still considered a minor league sport had they stayed at Seattle Center. There are enough fans to generate excitement but without turning casual sports fans into hockey fans it will be a disappointment in Seattle. I don't know squat about hockey but it's not right for hockey fans to get a team and it be treated like a HS sport.

Trust me, there are enough people in this city who would go just to be cool. I've been given so many Mariners tickets to take clients to, half of them don't even know the rules of the sport. I spend more time explaining baseball to them than I do talking about their account. It's a fashionable thing to go drink at. We have a big audience for that. I think that the NHL would make bank in Seattle.

There are so many nerds in this city who don't want to look like nerds so they go to sporting events.