• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

combine surprises

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone surprised on the combine numbers put up by former ND players? Are you surprised Golson wasn't invited to the combine?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone surprised on the combine numbers put up by former ND players? Are you surprised Golson wasn't invited to the combine?

Not at all. Golson isn't an NFL QB.

6' 195 pounds? That's a big disadvantage in itself. Makes bad decisions, isn't comfortable in the pocket, noticeably loses confidence in himself. Just an all around recipe for disaster.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Fuller put up a 4.32 40, which was the fastest among all wide outs. That's not too surprising.

CJ Prosise measured in at 6' 220 pounds, very good size for an NFL back, and put up a 4.48 40.

Chris Brown weighed in at 194 which is apparently 14 pounds gained since the Senior Bowl, I wonder if that has affected his 40 time at all, since he didn't run it. Not sure if he'll last long in the NFL. I always liked Brown and his work ethic, but his hands are suspect at times.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keivarae Russell measured in at 5'11 192 pounds. I think he's going to get a serious look since good corners are hard to come by in the NFL. Plus being at Notre Dame, he's lined up against good receivers throughout his career.

Elijah Shumate measured in at 6' 216 pounds, great size for a safety. Also showcased his strength with 18 bench press reps which was 4th out of 47 DBs. But only ran a 4.58 40, which didn't rank too well. Obviously more of a physical safety than a coverage/ball hawk.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keivarae Russell measured in at 5'11 192 pounds. I think he's going to get a serious look since good corners are hard to come by in the NFL. Plus being at Notre Dame, he's lined up against good receivers throughout his career.

Elijah Shumate measured in at 6' 216 pounds, great size for a safety. Also showcased his strength with 18 bench press reps which was 4th out of 47 DBs. But only ran a 4.58 40, which didn't rank too well. Obviously more of a physical safety than a coverage/ball hawk.
The scout comments on Shumate were very unfavorable, and they said pretty much what you said, he's good for run support, that's about it, is atrocious in coverage, which is pretty consistent with his college career. He's made great plays at the LOS stretching them out, and saved huge gains on WR screen plays by coming up and making a solid tackle. Got lost in coverage way too often though.

I predict he'll be, at best, a UFA.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the following will get drafted:

Stanley 1st round (pretty much a lock and has been consistently the no 2 OL after Tunsil)

J. Smith 1-2 round (depends on medical reports and whether they believe he'll get back to 100%. Some reports suggest, contrary to earlier statements by Smith, that there is, in fact, nerve damage) If prognosis is full recovery, even if they have to wait a year, I am sure someone will take a flier on him in Round 1. Otherwise, he'll probably fall to second round.

Fuller 2 round. I think he's had a solid combine right now. Has to convince the scouts he can be a more consistent catcher. He's as fast as anyone on the field and he showed it.

S. Day 2-3 round. Day's problem is he's too small to be a DL, too strong to be a DE. He has great skills and use of his hands, but he is going to be considered a "tweener" by scouts. Was surprised to see him graded so low among the DL (barely top 10).

Prosise 4th Round Putting up a 4.4 at his size raised a lot of eyebrows. His WR experience will be valued as well, seeing as he has good hands. May be 3rd round material, but for the late start and under-valuing of RB's.

Nick Martin 4-5 round. Solid prospect, but centers are under-valued as picks.

Russell 6 round -- He had promise, and his year off he really honed his physical skills, but took a step back last season IMO. A lot of that was shaking off the rust of not playing, and some may be on the BVD defense.

These guys should all make the 53 man roster to start the season. As for the following:

Brown 7th or UFA. Good speed, terrible, inconsistent hands, worse than Fuller in this regard.

Shumate, UFA, at best. Good guy, just not a complete player.

Golson: He should consider Canada.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golson: He should consider Canada.
so you're saying he's not a starter so he should transfer.:pound: I agree he'll never play in the NFL.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prosise 4th Round Putting up a 4.4 at his size raised a lot of eyebrows. His WR experience will be valued as well, seeing as he has good hands. May be 3rd round material, but for the late start and under-valuing of RB's.

Prosise is an interesting one for a couple of reasons, great size, really good speed. And, we see running backs hitting a wall at about 30 years old, but since Prosise doesn't have all those carries that other top RBs would have coming out of college, should spike his value.

Plus, how many running backs have made a living being all purpose backs? Forte in Chicago, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James etc. Prosise is a guy who can make those catches coming out of the backfield, and I think he could make a very good career out of it.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you're saying he's not a starter so he should transfer.:pound: I agree he'll never play in the NFL.

Has he ever stated whether he thought transferring to FSU was a good idea.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prosise is an interesting one for a couple of reasons, great size, really good speed. And, we see running backs hitting a wall at about 30 years old, but since Prosise doesn't have all those carries that other top RBs would have coming out of college, should spike his value.

Plus, how many running backs have made a living being all purpose backs? Forte in Chicago, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James etc. Prosise is a guy who can make those catches coming out of the backfield, and I think he could make a very good career out of it.

Darren Sproles'ish? I could see CJ filling that role... we'll see how it plays...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley 1st round (pretty much a lock and has been consistently the no 2 OL after Tunsil)
100% agree
J. Smith 1-2 round (depends on medical reports and whether they believe he'll get back to 100%. Some reports suggest, contrary to earlier statements by Smith, that there is, in fact, nerve damage) If prognosis is full recovery, even if they have to wait a year, I am sure someone will take a flier on him in Round 1. Otherwise, he'll probably fall to second round.
I think a late rd team like the pats or Seattle would take him. To add a talent like that in the late 1st rd is hard to pass up, unless like you said that most doctors dont believe he can bounce back.
Fuller 2 round. I think he's had a solid combine right now. Has to convince the scouts he can be a more consistent catcher. He's as fast as anyone on the field and he showed it.
I see Fuller early 2nd rd. Im hoping my 49ers take him. To be honest I think he is the best WR in this class or at least #2.
S. Day 2-3 round. Day's problem is he's too small to be a DL, too strong to be a DE. He has great skills and use of his hands, but he is going to be considered a "tweener" by scouts. Was surprised to see him graded so low among the DL (barely top 10).
He is samll. Great motor. I see him as a 4th-6th rd pick.
I agree, his size and speed is hard to pass up. Plus he can catch out of the back field. Plus throw in he only has been a RB for 1 year he has potential to grow at that position.
Nick Martin 4-5 round. Solid prospect, but centers are under-valued as picks.
Yea I think he gets drafted in 5th or 6th rd.
Russell 6 round -- He had promise, and his year off he really honed his physical skills, but took a step back last season IMO. A lot of that was shaking off the rust of not playing, and some may be on the BVD defense.
I think Russell gets drafted alot higher then this. I have him in Rd 3 to 4.
These guys should all make the 53 man roster to start the season. As for the following:

Brown 7th or UFA. Good speed, terrible, inconsistent hands, worse than Fuller in this regard.
Have him as a UFA
Shumate, UFA, at best. Good guy, just not a complete player.
Have him as a UFA
Golson: He should consider Canada.[/QUOTE]
He might get a camp invite.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has he ever stated whether he thought transferring to FSU was a good idea.
I would have to say no. I think he knows it wasnt. The funny thing is he would of been our starter if he stayed. We would of never found out about Kizer and I bet Kizer would of been jumped by Wimbush this year. Kizer could of been a never know type of QB. now he is in the Top 10 in the country and still might not be the starter. At least he knows he can play and if he wants to transfer if he isnt the starter a lot of schools would welcome him.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on pro day buzz? I've heard suggestions that Ishaq Williams looked pretty good, Chris Brown put up a 4.4, as did Russell. Farley surprisingly ran a 4.4 as well, which is surprising because he never looked to play that fast.

Golson's measurables were not good. He of course stands 5'11', but his 40 time was only 4.8. He's elusive, but not fast.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golson will not be drafted but will be invited by some NFL team to camp. (If Tommy Rees was invited Golson surely will) No chance in hell he makes an NFL 53 man roster Ever. Russell put up awesome numbers. He might be a steal for anyone that drafts him in the 3rd or 4th round.