• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cold Brew Coffee

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DO you make your own? Im experimenting.

Not sure whether to make concentrate vs straight brew

made some concentrate today, and the other day, tasted horrible, and when mixed, just tasted horrible and watered down.

Was gonna order an exo or toddy system, but didnt feel like spending for what i may not use. The toddy can be had cheaper, but requires lots of filters that can be expensive.

Ordered this

anyone have any tips?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you make it?

I have made it in the past using coffee with chicory.
Put a pound in large tub with about 1/2 gallon of cold water and let it set for 24-30 hours giving it a stir every once in a while. Then filter the grounds out.
It is what I was shown, and is all I know.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you make it?

Put a pound in large tub with about 1/2 gallon of cold water and let it set for 24-30 hours giving it a stir every once in a while. Then filter the grounds out.
Right now I’m using my French press. Using a 5:1 ration. Water to coffee

Let it got 12-16 hours press point dilute as needed.. but I keep reading that moving the beans at the end so f brewing that long releases all kinds of acid and bitterness. That’s why I bought one with a stand up filter? I dunno there’s such controversy on how to best make.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

made some concentrate today, and the other day, tasted horrible, and when mixed, just tasted horrible and watered down.

Was gonna order an exo or toddy system, but didnt feel like spending for what i may not use. The toddy can be had cheaper, but requires lots of filters that can be expensive.

Ordered this

anyone have any tips?
I use one of these (not the exact one but it looks the same). I have found if I use a french roast and mix it with milk it tastes exactly like chocolate milk. It's worth buying one IMO because it tastes great. The instructions say to let it brew in the fridge for 12-24 hours (I typically start to brew it one morning then dump the ground beans the next day).

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have this that I have used a couple times. It makes an ok cold brew concentrate

81FAMRUVXBL._SL1500_.jpg

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use one of these (not the exact one but it looks the same). I have found if I use a french roast and mix it with milk it tastes exactly like chocolate milk. It's worth buying one IMO because it tastes great. The instructions say to let it brew in the fridge for 12-24 hours (I typically start to brew it one morning then dump the ground beans the next day).
how do you start to brew without beans?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use the beans but you have to put the filter part back into the carafe for the lid to fit snug. Therefore, you need to dump the beans and wash out everything once you're happy with the brewing time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also have this one, but I have not used it. Got it as a gift

I don't really drink cold brew...

Toddy-Cold-Brew-System.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That looks more like a pour over than a cold brew.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you make it?

I grew up on chicory coffee. We used the old stove top percolator for everything back then. FWIW, people in this area used okra to make coffee at the end of the Civil War. It tastes as good as it sounds …

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ordered this

anyone have any tips?
Get a Toddy cold brew system. Been with it for over a year now. Only way I drink coffee. I live in GA but originally from MI. I cannot drink hot coffee unless it is in the 20s outside or I am sweating like a fool. Prefer cold coffee anyway

I like mine strong so I do it for 24-36 hours not 12-24 like some recommend. Then each morning I put 1 part coffee to 2 parts water and add whatever you want for taste. Perfection in a cup, o more bitter aftertaste. Pure delicious coffee

Also, I do a full pot, drain all the coffee and then fill it half with water and let it sit for about 36 hours. Still just as strong as first batch and a bit more economical use of the coffee too. We have tried our toddy with multiple types, brands and cost levels of coffee, comes out great each time. And you use normal coffee, some want you buying cold brew only coffee and that gets expensive.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You will love it, I promise!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must've made it confusing because it's super easy.

1. Grind the beans and fill up the metal filter 3/4 of the way full with ground beans.
  2. Slowly fill with water from the top (I always use filtered).
  3. Put it in the fridge.
  4. Wait 12-24 hours.
  5. Dump the beans from the filter because otherwise it will keep brewing.
  6. You're good to go.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use the beans but you have to put the filter part back into the carafe for the lid to fit snug. Therefore, you need to dump the beans and wash out everything once you're happy with the brewing time.
Nm I misread sorry lol