• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dixville Notch - my new alias. Just had a drivers license and passport made in case I need a quick getaway

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will disagree with that. Far too many people like him than I would prefer, but its not a majority.

maybe that is what I mean. but there are enough to be dangerous in putting him back in charge. that to me is what really baffles me.
It's like half of the dumbest half of the country. If the GOP figures out how to keep the smartest half away from the ballot box and they can put him back in charge. But only if they do that. He only won in 2016 because the Dems ran Hillary who more people hated. If Joe had stepped right in, he would have crushed Trump and we'd be talking about his Veep stepping up. 8 years on, people realize there are a lot more reasons to hate Trump.

Only if the people of Dixville were a microcosm for the US.

I know a lot of Repubs who do not want Trump under any circumstances.

Convincing them that the party they profess to follow is, in effect, gone is a losing battle.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Businesses were being affected, people were being harassed on the streets of Ottawa and it was likely only a matter of time before things escalated to a point that someone loses their life. I'd rather have a government be proactive in such a situation to shut things down.

Not to mention the emboldened assholes in Coutts Alberta who were convoy dipshits plotting to assassinate RCMP officer(s).

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the emboldened assholes in Coutts Alberta who were convoy dipshits plotting to assassinate RCMP officer(s).

Yeah, the main focus was in Ottawa, but the stuff happening in Coutts at the border was just as threatening.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And never mind anyhow. I misheard my sister. I thought she said it 'looks very big" but what she really said was "it looks like its wearing a wig".

ugh

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hugh Jorgen likes this
So does this guy:

images

If you know....you know.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like half of the dumbest half of the country. If the GOP figures out how to keep the smartest half away from the ballot box and they can put him back in charge. But only if they do that. He only won in 2016 because the Dems ran Hillary who more people hated. If Joe had stepped right in, he would have crushed Trump and we'd be talking about his Veep stepping up. 8 years on, people realize there are a lot more reasons to hate Trump.

I know a lot of Repubs who do not want Trump under any circumstances.

Convincing them that the party they profess to follow is, in effect, gone is a losing battle.

do you think Trump can win now?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is similar voter turnout in November to what there was in 2020, I think Biden wins. If complacency sets in and voter turnout is low, Trump could certainly win.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well,
If there is similar voter turnout in November to what there was in 2020, I think Biden wins. If complacency sets in and voter turnout is low, Trump could certainly win.
^ that.

If Biden gets on the student debt train and keeps pushing the RoeVWade thing it should turn out young people and women voters. Pushing on health care (specifically lowering costs) and immigration might turn out more. It's all about getting people off their sofas and into the booth.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Businesses were being affected, people were being harassed on the streets of Ottawa and it was likely only a matter of time before things escalated to a point that someone loses their life. I'd rather have a government be proactive in such a situation to shut things down.

If they didn’t use it when the natives shut down rail lines for a month they shouldn’t have used it for this. Every argument they made for using the act here was applicable then - interrupted commerce, interrupted freedom of movement, risk to public safety - but they sat back and watched in 2020 but acted in 2022.

That said, unless this opens up the possibility of people who had accounts frozen etc. suing the government this is so yesterday's news and the best thing the Liberals could do is state disagreement and move on.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn’t use it when the natives shut down rail lines for a month they shouldn’t have used it for this. Every argument they made for using the act here was applicable then - interrupted commerce, interrupted freedom of movement, risk to public safety - but they sat back and watched in 2020 but acted in 2022.

That said, unless this opens up the possibility of people who had accounts frozen etc. suing the government this is so yesterday's news and the best thing the Liberals could do is state disagreement and move on.

Regarding the bolded part, I think they were likely reluctant to invoke the Emergencies Act knowing that there would be considerable backlash, but possibly some lessons were learned from 2020 and they decided they had little choice. As mentioned above, I think the Liberals were trying to avoid the escalation of violence as things were certainly getting heated prior to the Emergencies Act being invoked.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the bolded part, I think they were likely reluctant to invoke the Emergencies Act knowing that there would be considerable backlash, but possibly some lessons were learned from 2020 and they decided they had little choice. As mentioned above, I think the Liberals were trying to avoid the escalation of violence as things were certainly getting heated prior to the Emergencies Act being invoked.
Looked at in a vacuum that makes sense but per the CBC's extracts of the judgment Mosley he seems to be saying the government was reacting to fear of violence and not any actual intelligence that there were violent plots underway. Singles out Coutts too, saying it was resolved and there was no intelligence that there was any other active violent actions being prepared:

"Mosley said the situation created by the protests across the country did not meet the CSIS threshold.

"The potential for serious violence, or being unable to say that there was no potential for serious violence was, of course, a valid reason for concern," he wrote. "But in my view, it did not satisfy the test required to invoke the Act, particularly as there was no evidence of a similar 'hardened cell' elsewhere in the country, only speculation, and the situation at Coutts had been resolved without violence."

I'm sure ten different judges will look at this in ten different ways as to whether or not it met criteria or violated charter rights. The Rouleau Commission said it met the criteria but he had also worked for the Liberals in the past. I've always thought that Biden's call to Trudeau 3 days before the Act was invoked was the real reason he did it and god only knows what Biden said to him.