• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: Chappee's Jays are champs, 3-way tie for 2nd AL WC, other stuff happened

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Harvey only pitching game 1? And no Matz for the NLDS?

Sounds like the Mets season will be over pretty soon

Who knows. There's so much crapshootidity to the post season, you just never know. They're pretty clearly the worst team to make the post season this year, but anything can happen in October. I'm kind of hoping they go all the way.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows. There's so much crapshootidity to the post season, you just never know. They're pretty clearly the worst team to make the post season this year, but anything can happen in October. I'm kind of hoping they go all the way.

I'm not.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're pretty clearly the worst team to make the post season this year,

HEY!

Imo need to see some empirical evidence to support this hypothesis, or I'm calling 'tardery.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Huwaryu_in_exile ...just an FYI in case you missed it....

Today's Mets/Phils game got bumped up to 12 noon eastern time, instead of the 7pm scheduled start, due to the approaching storm on the east coast.

Yeah, I heard last night during the game. Makes the most sense, even if Philly misses out on a few walk-up tickets sold. They STILL might not get it in:

0320101.png

Well, you can't see the towns and cities, but Philly is right in the middle of all that green crap.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the hell is that abc/disney sports network affiliate showing the red sox/yankees game tonight..when they really should be showing the vastly more important, Twins/Indians or Angels/Rangers game(s) instead??

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89 's Yankees stumbling at the worst possible time, pressure must be getting to them.

Or they suck.

The fact that the Yankees can't even beat a Red Sox team that is making vacation plans for next week, tells you all you need to know about this Yankees team. Perhaps they can just turn it on next week when the bell rings, but I see a mediocre/uninspired bunch out there.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh...he's just trolling again....he can't help it.

Actually, I'm talking baseball from an objective stand point.

The 2015 Mets have enjoyed a historically weak schedule, whereby 35% of their schedule has been against three teams with a combined record of 194-280.

What are your thoughts about the facts that the Mets have gone 36-20 vs Atl, Mia and Phi, and 53-49 against the rest of baseball, including 11-26 against the other current playoff teams?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 2015 Mets have enjoyed a historically weak schedule, whereby 35% of their schedule has been against three teams with a combined record of 194-280.

What are your thoughts about the facts that the Mets have gone 36-20 vs Atl, Mia and Phi, and 53-49 against the rest of baseball, including 11-26 against the other current playoff teams?
You didn't ask me, but I don't think that matters at all. :thumb:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say the Mets as of August are much different than the Mets before August because they added Cespedes and got Wright and d'Arnaud back from Injury. Yes they're 1-5 vs the 2 teams they've played who are playoff bound since August 1st, but not the team they're facing in the NLDS(who if we're going by early season numbers they did beat in 4 of 7 games including 2 of 3 in LA). They've certainly had a better record because of the weak division, but I think they have the pitching and offense, assuming Cespedes is good to go, to make it to the NLCS and even the WS.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the Mets as of August are much different than the Mets before August because they added Cespedes and got Wright and d'Arnaud back from Injury. Yes they're 1-5 vs the 2 teams they've played who are playoff bound since August 1st, but not the team they're facing in the NLDS(who if we're going by early season numbers they did beat in 4 of 7 games including 2 of 3 in LA). They've certainly had a better record because of the weak division, but I think they have the pitching and offense, assuming Cespedes is good to go, to make it to the NLCS and even the WS.

They could win the World Series. Any team in the playoffs could.

Of the playoff bound teams, where would you seed the Mets?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit Brandon phillips is a jackass. reds should just sit the veterans the rest of the yr. it is obvious they don't want to be there. embarrassing to watch.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright. So, among the current playoff bound teams, where would you rank the Mets?
I don't think they match up well with the Dodgers at all. I really like the Dodgers' chances with the Mets as an opponent. I'm not a big fan of playoff power rankings or anything like that. Just how the two teams stack up strengths/weaknesses.

In the Mets' case, Matz is really their only lefty pitcher. The Dodgers have been pretty aggressive in their platoons this year, so not having to switch out Ethier (who has been fantastic this year) for a righty is huge, especially given the condition of Yasiel Puig.

As far as I'm concerned, "how you got there" is pretty irrelevant once the playoffs get going. It's a different game. The bullpens are used differently, the leashes on starters is much shorter, teams might bring an extra position player just to pinch run, and so on.

Everything I've read about the correlations between regular season results and playoff results (from a team perspective) always seems to come out inconclusive. There just doesn't seem to be anything there.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, "how you got there" is pretty irrelevant once the playoffs get going. It's a different game. The bullpens are used differently, the leashes on starters is much shorter, teams might bring an extra position player just to pinch run, and so on.

Everything I've read about the correlations between regular season results and playoff results (from a team perspective) always seems to come out inconclusive. There just doesn't seem to be anything there.

Of course the regular season isn't a strong predictor of postseason success, the post season is simply who can win 11 (or 12) games the fastest. I coined the term "crapshootidity" on FN as a way to express the unpredictability of the playoffs.

I'm not predicting anything. I'm ranking the teams heading into the playoffs by who I would consider the "best," and I have a lot of respect for the heft of a 162-game season.