• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics Rebuild

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone says how the Celtics should just completely blow it up and rebuild through the draft, but do we forget how BAD Danny was doing this? He was border line about to be fired before he pulled Ray Allen and KG out of his ass. Rebuilding through the draft didn't work with Danny, so why do people keep saying this is the best option? After the Walker and Pierce era Danny was horrible trying to rebuild. Not sure why we wanna go there. Also, how bad has our luck been in the lottery? Every time we tank, we get screwed. Didn't get Timmy, didn't get Oden/Durant, but everyone thinks this is the best idea.

I'd personally go after Josh Smith in a sign and trade. Have him sign a 4-5 year max contract and send anyone back who would make the salaries work. Not sure the Hawks would wanna take on Bass or Lee's contracts, but hell Danny took on Gerald Wallace contract, so if we throw enough picks at them they would probably take them. Since we have enough picks moving forward, send them a couple of them and try to land a player who can make this team better. If the Celtics go straight rebuild, Danny wont be around to enjoy it because he'll be gone.

Thoughts?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone says how the Celtics should just completely blow it up and rebuild through the draft, but do we forget how BAD Danny was doing this? He was border line about to be fired before he pulled Ray Allen and KG out of his ass. Rebuilding through the draft didn't work with Danny, so why do people keep saying this is the best option? After the Walker and Pierce era Danny was horrible trying to rebuild. Not sure why we wanna go there. Also, how bad has our luck been in the lottery? Every time we tank, we get screwed. Didn't get Timmy, didn't get Oden/Durant, but everyone thinks this is the best idea.

I'd personally go after Josh Smith in a sign and trade. Have him sign a 4-5 year max contract and send anyone back who would make the salaries work. Not sure the Hawks would wanna take on Bass or Lee's contracts, but hell Danny took on Gerald Wallace contract, so if we throw enough picks at them they would probably take them. Since we have enough picks moving forward, send them a couple of them and try to land a player who can make this team better. If the Celtics go straight rebuild, Danny wont be around to enjoy it because he'll be gone.

Thoughts?

Josh Smith is not that good. He has zero work ethic and he does not play smart basketball. His skills don't compliment Rondo at all either. Celtics would be somewhere between 7 to 10 in the East if they went that route and the way some of the young teams keep getting better, they would be primed for 4-5 years of mediocrity.

The thing about a rebuild, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if the goal of the franchise is to be mediocre, then they aren't doing it right. Trust me as a fan of a franchise who has striven to be average for so long. It sucks. The Celtics and their fans deserve better.

When you have a good team that can no longer contend, you either go down with the ship or you start over and build from scratch. If you have young players to build around, great. I know Celtic fans love Rondo and see him as the cornerstone, but he isn't that. He is a good player (not great) and he is in his prime. There is no way he will want to sit through a rebuild during his prime years and he will absolutely bolt in 2015 if not dealt before then.

Building through the draft may not have worked right away for Ainge the first time, but it did provide the assets that were traded for Allen and Garnett. The Celtics don't have the assets to make a move like that now, but they can build them up over the next couple years if they can get their cap situation under control. The process can be really frustrating, but there is absolutely nothing worse than rooting for a franchise that is irrelevant year after year because they don't aspire to build a contending team. That is precisely what signing Smith would do for the Celtics.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There 7-9 in the East without Smith. Smith and Rondo are great friends too, so it would be a nice combo. Rondo can get him a lot of open pick and pops.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Smith is not that good. He has zero work ethic and he does not play smart basketball. His skills don't compliment Rondo at all either. Celtics would be somewhere between 7 to 10 in the East if they went that route and the way some of the young teams keep getting better, they would be primed for 4-5 years of mediocrity.

The thing about a rebuild, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if the goal of the franchise is to be mediocre, then they aren't doing it right. Trust me as a fan of a franchise who has striven to be average for so long. It sucks. The Celtics and their fans deserve better.

When you have a good team that can no longer contend, you either go down with the ship or you start over and build from scratch. If you have young players to build around, great. I know Celtic fans love Rondo and see him as the cornerstone, but he isn't that. He is a good player (not great) and he is in his prime. There is no way he will want to sit through a rebuild during his prime years and he will absolutely bolt in 2015 if not dealt before then.

Building through the draft may not have worked right away for Ainge the first time, but it did provide the assets that were traded for Allen and Garnett. The Celtics don't have the assets to make a move like that now, but they can build them up over the next couple years if they can get their cap situation under control. The process can be really frustrating, but there is absolutely nothing worse than rooting for a franchise that is irrelevant year after year because they don't aspire to build a contending team. That is precisely what signing Smith would do for the Celtics.

Most of your post could be easily applied to the Atlanta Hawks. They try to get one player that they think will fill up Phillips Arena and that is all they care about. They don't want to spend money and they don't want Howard and they didn't want Lebron.

Basically, in a nutshell, the Hawks suck and always will unless current ownership sells the team to somebody who really cares.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it's championship or nothing for Boston fans, but it's up for debate the best way to get there. It's going to take 2-4 years, but what's the best route. Trade and sign free agents or the draft lottery. I'm kinda surprised Celtics fans think the lottery is a good option, when it's never worked for us for quite some time.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of your post could be easily applied to the Atlanta Hawks. They try to get one player that they think will fill up Phillips Arena and that is all they care about. They don't want to spend money and they don't want Howard and they didn't want Lebron.

Basically, in a nutshell, the Hawks suck and always will unless current ownership sells the team to somebody who really cares.

I know it's going to take 2-4 years to be great again, but Idk if it's tanking and trading Rondo.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There 7-9 in the East without Smith. Smith and Rondo are great friends too, so it would be a nice combo. Rondo can get him a lot of open pick and pops.

Smith is a horrible shooter.

In the playoffs, the Heat had a tough time scoring against the Spurs and even more so against Indiana because they sagged off Wade and took away driving lanes. Where are the driving lanes going to be with this group? Rondo has always been surrounded by shooters in Boston and that is why he has been successful.

The Celtics roster right now is more like 8-12 than 7-9. They have 3 good players (Rondo, Green and Bradley).

If you don't believe me about Smith, please take Geneh's word for it. As a Hawks fan he knows exactly what he is about.

Houston might work great for Smith because he can be the 3rd option there, a la Chris Bosh. As a franchise player though, he is inadequate.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics could land Howard or LeBron, I would say go for it. Otherwise, the draft is the only way, at least for now.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is a horrible shooter.

In the playoffs, the Heat had a tough time scoring against the Spurs and even more so against Indiana because they sagged off Wade and took away driving lanes. Where are the driving lanes going to be with this group? Rondo has always been surrounded by shooters in Boston and that is why he has been successful.

The Celtics roster right now is more like 8-12 than 7-9. They have 3 good players (Rondo, Green and Bradley).

If you don't believe me about Smith, please take Geneh's word for it. As a Hawks fan he knows exactly what he is about.

Houston might work great for Smith because he can be the 3rd option there, a la Chris Bosh. As a franchise player though, he is inadequate.

Al Horford is the only player we have had in about the last decade that might be able to contend for an all-star game selection.

Smith got ran out of here after he was supposed to be the great scorer he never was.

The Hawks want to pay out as little money as possible to get one or two guys that might fill up the Arena and get them into the playoffs. The Hawks have NEVER gotten past the second round of the playoffs. They haven't even come close.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Horford is the only player we have had in about the last decade that might be able to contend for an all-star game selection.

Smith got ran out of here after he was supposed to be the great scorer he never was.

The Hawks want to pay out as little money as possible to get one or two guys that might fill up the Arena and get them into the playoffs. The Hawks have NEVER gotten past the second round of the playoffs. They haven't even come close.

I feel bad then. I never thought the Hawks owners were that bad.

I guess I don't know how good Smith is, but when I watch him play he seems legit.

I think it's vise versa with Rondo, people don't understand how good he is. The NBA is a playoff league and when it matters he shows up and the results speak for themselves. No superstar in the NBA shows up for every regular season game. Rondo is great when the stakes are high. Remember when he played with the dislocated elbow. The dude is gutsy as it gets. He has the KG mentality, your with me or against me. Rondo is a little hard to deal with, but he demands so much from everyone. KG has worn off on him. He's our future.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics could land Howard or LeBron, I would say go for it. Otherwise, the draft is the only way, at least for now.

Fuck lebron. I'd rather lose than root for him.

Howard I'd be all for though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I don't know how good Smith is, but when I watch him play he seems legit.

I think it's vise versa with Rondo, people don't understand how good he is. . The NBA is a playoff league and when it matters he shows up and the results speak for themselves. No superstar in the NBA shows up for every regular season game. Rondo is great when the stakes are high. Remember when he played with the dislocated elbow. The dude is gutsy as it gets. He has the KG mentality, your with me or against me. Rondo is a little hard to deal with, but he demands so much from everyone. KG has worn off on him. He's our future.

Agreed. That is why he needs to play for a contender. How will he respond on a 30-40 win club? Will he lead you through the dog days of January and February? Or will he shut down?

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That is why he needs to play for a contender. How will he respond on a 30-40 win club? Will he lead you through the dog days of January and February? Or will he shut down?

He'll play for stats, like most stars on bad teams.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's vise versa with Rondo, people don't understand how good he is. The NBA is a playoff league and when it matters he shows up and the results speak for themselves. No superstar in the NBA shows up for every regular season game. Rondo is great when the stakes are high. Remember when he played with the dislocated elbow. The dude is gutsy as it gets. He has the KG mentality, your with me or against me. Rondo is a little hard to deal with, but he demands so much from everyone. KG has worn off on him. He's our future.

Oh, Smith isn't horrible, he just isn't ever going to be a Lebron, Kobe or anything like that. He has his good games. You just need a coach who can tell when he is sucking so you can sit him and you'll be fine. When he's on, he's really good, but that is rare and it doesn't happen often.

I would use him as a bench player, let him take a few shots and if he isn't hitting I yank him and he sits until the next game, then do the same thing. He will get hot sometimes, just not every game for sure.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks are so pathetic that they air commercials in Atlanta every time popular teams come to town like the Lakers, Heat, Pacers, etc. The only player we have worth spending any money to see is Horford and he aint great.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks are so pathetic that they air commercials in Atlanta every time popular teams come to town like the Lakers, Heat, Pacers, etc. The only player we have worth spending any money to see is Horford and he aint great.

Horford is pretty good, not paying $$$ to see him though.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford is pretty good, not paying $$$ to see him though.

IF i were you I wouldn't worry too much. The Celtics have a class organization and are in it to win. They are nothing like the Hawks' ownership. Your team will do whatever is necessary until they bring another title home to Boston and you can bank on that.

Just don't hang your hat on Josh Smith. You will need to draft some really good players and build around them. I'm sure Smith is only a temporary stop-gap until the Celtics get some really good young players they can do something with.

Anyway, I think Ainge is really good and the Celtics will be back one day.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could a team that had Bird, Parrish, McHale, Havlicek, Russell and the like be doomed to constant mediocrity? It won't happen in Boston like it has in Atlanta.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could a team that had Bird, Parrish, McHale, Havlicek, Russell and the like be doomed to constant mediocrity? It won't happen in Boston like it has in Atlanta.

I know the Celtics will be back, but I just don't know the route there going to take. Danny says he's not trading Rondo, but you can't believe much he says tbh.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 teams in the East. These teams are definitely better than the Celtics:

Miami
Indiana
Chicago
New Jersey
New York
Detroit (assuming they get Gay)

These teams are probably better than the Celtics:

Washington

These teams are definitely worse than the Celtics right now:

Charlotte
Philly
Toronto
Milwaukee (assuming Milwaukee and Toronto look to get rid of pieces)

That leaves the following:

Orlando
Atlanta
Cleveland

Who are on the Celtics level, give or take a couple spots. In other words, they could sneak into the playoffs, or not, but either way they are not doing anything as currently constructed. There simply aren't enough quality players available for the Celtics to elevate themselves higher than 6 or 7 in 2013. If they went that route, it would set them back further in the rebuilding process.