• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can you find a positive in this bad season?

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not getting this clock management thing in the second half. We had the ball 3 times before the first INT. The first possession was 12 plays counting the fg - 6 pass, 5 runs- 6:35 off the clock. The second drive - 1:08 came off the clock- 1st play was a very safe pass that was dropped by Murray. It wasnt a tough catch -high or low, he simply dropped it. 2nd play Inc pass. 3rd play sack. 3rd possession- TD 4:30 off the clock- I think it was 8 passes to 3 runs, maybe 2 but you have to take the points.

The fourth drive- yes I was surprised we came out throwing but we still got a first down. Unfortunately we needed 2. I just dont think you can sit on it right there. Sure we could have ran and made them drive 80 yrds in 2 minutes

I said in another thread that I didn't recall what our time of possession was in the second half, but that I didn't believe it was in our favor. I am surprised that we used up 6:35 on that first possession in the second half, so I stand corrected when I said that one six to seven minute drive would have made the two int's irrelevant. However, the 23-7 pass to run ratio in the second half is what tells the story here and why the game turned out as it did.

That second drive is a case in point. Who cares if it was a safe pass that Murray dropped. Every pass has the potential for incompletion and to stop the clock which is why the ball should be ran more often, especially when the Packers showed no ability to stop the run. Second pass was another incomplete, stopping the clock. The sack, while it provided opportunity for more time to run off the clock, was intended to be a pass play, thus the sack and the need to give them the ball back with very little time run off the clock.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't have been any pass plays at all in the second half, just that there should have been greater balance. Eight passes to three runs on the third drive demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of clock management and game situations, which is why we lost the game.

I'm also not arguing that we shouldn't be trying to get the ball into the endzone. Obviously scoring points is a necessary part of winning the game. However, I think we would have scored even if we had run the ball, perhaps even more often What frustrates me, and many others, is JG's and TR's and BC's lack of understanding how to manipulate the flow of the game and to use the clock to their advantage. It's a recurring problem which hit epic proportions Sunday against the Packers. It didn't even appear that the clock was a part of the game to them until the last drive when they had to score. :gaah:

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO it wasn't just the second half that we dropped the ball on the running game. In the first half they ran the ball until they got into or close to the endzone, then abandoned the run completely. They passed and passed near the endzone to no avail. The results, 4 field goals and 1 TD. Why did they stop running the closer they got to the endzone? As for the clock management thing, if they had ran the ball on that possession where they had two incompletions and one sack, who knows they may have gotten the first down, if not, more than a minute and 8 seconds would have came off the clock. When he threw the first pick, it was 2nd down and 6, Murray had just ran up the middle for 4 yards. What makes you think he couldn't get 6 yards on the next two carries combined? They hadn't stopped him all night. We will never know now.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres always 2 sides to a debate. I usually take the road less traveled. There is no way we will ever know. We did run the clock out vs the Giants a few weeks ago. Just trying to make a case for the other side too

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres always 2 sides to a debate. I usually take the road less traveled. There is no way we will ever know. We did run the clock out vs the Giants a few weeks ago. Just trying to make a case for the other side too

In the other crushing loss to the lions ... we ran the ball 3 times for 5 yards, kicked a field goal. But the lions still only needed a TD and got it with only about a minute left.

And yes, Murray was out and we were not running the ball well that day.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your positive about the negatives, not really what I was looking for. Its no secret our defense stinks, but to be honest I expected it to be less than stellar. Maybe not quiet as bad as it is but bad. It usually happens when you change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or the other way around. Errors with the clock management are easy fixes, and if our defense was better you would never even notice those flaws because they would be a non factor. As long as Jerry is breathing he will be an obstacle to our success, this is nothing new and won't be fixed anytime soon.

Psst...positive has two meanings...I thought that part was obvious when I wrote that...

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psst...positive has two meanings...I thought that part was obvious when I wrote that...

Yes it was obvious, but I was looking for the other meaning. We already know what's wrong with the team, but no one ever talks about what the team has improved on. Just trying to get away from the doom and gloom post, I know that's hard for some to do. It isn't easy for me either, been a fan since the 70's and I'm sick of failure too.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Zone offense has improved. At the beginning of the season the penalties seemed to have improved some but has recently went the other way

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was obvious, but I was looking for the other meaning. We already know what's wrong with the team, but no one ever talks about what the team has improved on. Just trying to get away from the doom and gloom post, I know that's hard for some to do. It isn't easy for me either, been a fan since the 70's and I'm sick of failure too.

Thought it was funny...guess not...

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was funny...guess not...

I didn't say it wasn't funny, and I wasn't responding to be an ass. I think you are a good poster and fan, and I enjoy reading your post.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 positives. The supposed class of the NFC east, the foreskins crapped the bed and the Egals trophy case is still empty.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Best kicker in the game
2 D Harris, best special teams player in the game
3 OL looks to be 1 player away from developing into a solid unit

I would go through negatives, but I've got to be at work in a couple of hours so there's no way I could finish