• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Someone Explain the Logic to This Strategy?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start with 3 things. 1st I am not a college basketball coach, 2nd Oklahoma still won the game and 3rd they are not the only team to do it. But help me out here

The age old debate is whether or not to foul up 3 late. Some coaches never do it, some always do it. The rule of thumb is usually doing it with around 6 seconds left or later.

Kansas in bounded with 14 seconds left and Oklahoma fouled them with just over 9 seconds left up 3. Why??? Not only did Oklahoma just have 2 straight trips to the line making 1/2 but this is welcoming a free throw battle. 9 seconds is so much time.

Unless you have the best free throw shooting team ever, this is just handing the losing team an opportunity to be able to play for the tie.

Kansas made both theirs and then Oklahoma made both theres..still a 3 pt game and still over 7 seconds left. So 2 seconds went off the clock. We could have done that another 2 times at least. Quite the risk.

Of course, OK showed their hand so early, Self just called a time out and ran a genius play to avoid it and OK in foul mode fouled the f'ing 3 pt shooter to let KU tie it that way.

Typically with 14 seconds left KU or any team is drawing up a play to get a quick 2. Play defense..better chance they drive out of control then it is Mason missing 2 free throws.

Too early in my opinion. Good tip by Hield to win it though.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering the exact same thing. Oklahoma also just missed 3 out 5 free throws before they decided to foul. if u r going to foul that early u better have supreme confidence that your players will knock them down too.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the other thing that I don't understand is running the shot clock down in a 1 possession game and 45 seconds left. the other team is likely getting the ball back.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the other thing that I don't understand is running the shot clock down in a 1 possession game and 45 seconds left. the other team is likely getting the ball back.

This is just one of the many examples of teams playing not to lose. Rather than looking for best possible shot, they run it all the way down and usually end up tossing up a prayer.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this same situation occurred in the MSU/Indiana game. Ending was interesting, because of several mistakes made by both sides, all with just 10 or so seconds left, and multiple timeouts...

The discussion was, that you shouldnt foul until the clock gets down to about 4 seconds. Maybe with 6 being the upper limit.

There was talk about the percentages run, and which tactic produced the most wins, etc. Think there was just a small better winning percentage one way over the other, but that over the course of a season, could mean the difference in a game, and that one game could mean you get into the NCAAs or not...

kind of made my head hurt just a bit.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teams should hoist up a shot in 7 seconds or less to get the 2 for 1. Teams are awful at doing math. If you get defensive rebounds 80% of the time, then you should take any shot which goes in around 80% as much as normal (math says 62.5%, but you also lower your chances on shot #2 by minimizing time), which would be any open look.