• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calhoun backing away from 10sec rule change

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, the chairman of the committee said Tuesday that the panel was waiting for the evidence in support of the player safety angle. And that if there isn't any, the rule shouldn't be enacted.

"I think the only way it can or it should become a rule is if indeed it is a safety concern," Calhoun said. "And that can't be something that is a speculation or a possibility. I think there's got to be something empirical there, where you realize, yes, this truly is a health matter in the terms of not being able to get a defensive player off the field."

The proposal is set to be voted on March 6, and Calhoun said the end of the comment period was March 3. Calhoun's sentiments echoed what committee member Rogers Redding said following the proposal -- while player safety may be a legitimate concern, there's currently nothing convincing to support the idea.

Doesn't sound like it's very likely they enact that policy. No one has real data showing it actually protects the health of kids so it will be a dead issue in a couple of weeks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, maybe this link was posted elsewhere, but shit who wants to read through 55 pages of bitching to see if it's there? :noidea:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he decided he didn't want his face ripped off.
He just looks like a fool thinking this rule would pass without notice.
WTF was he thinking.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone really thought this had a serious chance of passing did they? i mean it's fun to taunt duck fans about it or make fun of the two asshat coaches that cried and got this thing drafted, but there were not going to make such a big change to football, and one that favors the defense at that.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was close to passing. According to reports, the majority of rule proposals pass. Plus Beilema said it had backing of the AFCA. The oversight committee is basically a rubber stamp at that point, and this was "for the children" so no one would vote against it......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this was hasty and careless enough to be the exception to the rule. I mean even those running the committees must know the ulterior motives of those who brought it up. Some refuse to let other teams dictate a pace they don't know how to manage.