• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BYU thinking Big 12 soon?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until David Boren steps down as OU president or dies OU will not be joining the SEC, he doesn't believe Oklahoma culture is "southern" in any aspect. He has dreams of the PAC 12 should the Big 12 fold.

that leaves the B12 They are the bottom of the power 5 conferences now and are basically a re-imagined SWC with a few schools outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

OU hasn't been in the SWC since 1919 so the Big 12 is really 5 schools from Big 8, 4 from the SWC and WVU...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right Slaton. But Texas (and OU) make(s) more money in the Big XII than they would have in the PAC 12.

I'm not saying he isn't , but you could point to any conference and make that comment..ie Michigan and Ohio State stir the drink in the Big 10, Alabama, LSU and Florida, USC and UCLA I guess in the Pac12..if those teams jumped then where would those conferences be? All Conference's have anchor schools..

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only conference that will do any expanding anytime soon will be the Big 12, since this conference is only at 10 teams and even then, I don't see the conference expanding soon. If conference realignment happens again, it won't be for another 10-15 years, so this issue is irrelevant, however, it does make for good conversation in the offseason.

With that being said, if the Big 12 does expand to 14 teams, I would like to see the conference add UCF, Cincy, Memphis & Notre Dame. Yes, ND is a realistic possibility only if the football program is forced to join a conference simply b/c ND will be able to keep their network with NBC in the Big 12, unless the ACC makes a special concession for the Domers, which I doubt conference members in the ACC will be in favor of. I don't want the conference to add another private school, although BYU brings much more to the table than Baylor or TCU do. BYU will never agree to play games on Sundays, so forget about it.

Adding the 4 teams I mentioned bring in some pretty good TV markets and that's what this is all about (refer to the B1G adding two schools who bring nothing football wise in Rutgers and MD and really nothing overall, but bring in a couple of good TV markets). Anyway, I enjoy the round robin format the Big 12 has in place currently; don't want to see it go away.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not take 10-15 years, but I see any current changes unlikely. I think every conference now has a grant of rights in place except the SEC and good luck poaching that conference. TV contracts are in place and everyone is making lots of money.

It would really take a conference just voting to disband to dispense with the grant of rights of the conference teams. That would take alot to accomplish. There will be no more poaching of the major conferences.

Notre Dame is still up for grabs, but that is about it unless A&M & Missouri decide they want back in. BYU Cinci, USF, and UConn are potential targets for the B12, but I see little movement to spread the wealth further.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not take 10-15 years, but I see any current changes unlikely. I think every conference now has a grant of rights in place except the SEC and good luck poaching that conference. TV contracts are in place and everyone is making lots of money.

It would really take a conference just voting to disband to dispense with the grant of rights of the conference teams. That would take alot to accomplish. There will be no more poaching of the major conferences.

Notre Dame is still up for grabs, but that is about it unless A&M & Missouri decide they want back in. BYU Cinci, USF, and UConn are potential targets for the B12, but I see little movement to spread the wealth further.

Big 12 members are making more money than SEC members today, grant it, there is only 10 members, so there is more money to be spread around. I know the SEC's 1st and 2nd tier rights are up pretty soon, so that conference will be negotiating a new contract and some analysts say it will be a blockbuster deal, however, I'm not so sure it's going to be as big as some people think, simply b/c there are 14 members now, with the majority of the conference being irrelevant football wise and TV market wise. It will definitely be a very nice, lucrative contract, but not as earth shattering as some people are making it out to be, IMO.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame will never join the B1G, thought they made that pretty clear when they joined the BE, then the ACC over them. They would join the ACC or B12 long before even thinking about the B1G, in which they have no incentive to join (aside from rivalries which we already put an indefinite hold on). Teams like Michigan St and Purdue will never stop scheduling us because it helps them out a ton. The B1G already tried to get its teams to stop scheduling ND back in the day and both schools refused.

BYU is dead in the water, I see them having to join the AAC or something, I'd be surprised if the Big12 wants them.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What keeps Texas in the Big XII is tier 3 rights. Every other conference requires the schools to sign them over. The Big XII does not. How much does LHN pull in for Texas? That's what you all miss. The ACC may be close to paying out what the Big XII does, but that INCLUDES tier 3 rights... Tier 3 is in addition to the Big XII's deal.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What keeps Texas in the Big XII is tier 3 rights. Every other conference requires the schools to sign them over. The Big XII does not. How much does LHN pull in for Texas? That's what you all miss. The ACC may be close to paying out what the Big XII does, but that INCLUDES tier 3 rights... Tier 3 is in addition to the Big XII's deal.

Not one school shares 3rd tier revenue with conference members, not one. Never has been. Read this article, it's an excellent article regarding the LHN and 3rd tier rights and other stuff that went down when conference realignment started. It's lengthy, but a damn good article:

Longhorn Network and Delusion

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame will never join the B1G, thought they made that pretty clear when they joined the BE, then the ACC over them. They would join the ACC or B12 long before even thinking about the B1G, in which they have no incentive to join (aside from rivalries which we already put an indefinite hold on). Teams like Michigan St and Purdue will never stop scheduling us because it helps them out a ton. The B1G already tried to get its teams to stop scheduling ND back in the day and both schools refused.

BYU is dead in the water, I see them having to join the AAC or something, I'd be surprised if the Big12 wants them.

Can't understand why the Irish just do not join the Big 12. It's a perfect fit, from a football point of view, which is what's most important w/conference realignment. ND can keep their network with NBC, plus earn revenue from the TV contracts. Basically, ND could be making Texas Longhorn type of money by joining the Big 12. Plus they would be joining one of the toughest conferences in the country.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only care about one thing, my university staying in a major conference.

Fortunately for me there's Texas. This conference only survives if the Longhorns remain. They run this conference, they are top dogs. They leave this conference, they aren't top dogs anymore running a conference. That is why they will never leave and the B12 will never fold. Doesn't matter how much money, they know they will be second fiddle in another conference. Plain and simple, the B12 is in no danger. I believe it for this reason alone.

So screw adding any new teams.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't understand why the Irish just do not join the Big 12. It's a perfect fit, from a football point of view, which is what's most important w/conference realignment. ND can keep their network with NBC, plus earn revenue from the TV contracts. Basically, ND could be making Texas Longhorn type of money by joining the Big 12. Plus they would be joining one of the toughest conferences in the country.

ND likes to be on their own, and has no reason to join a league as long as they get special treatment. Every bowl coalition, Bowl alliance, BSC, and now playoff has listed as the teams included as "this list of leagues and ND" if they were left out, which may well happen once there are four "super conferences" and only those four champs are included in the "playoff" they will be begging to get in one of those leagues.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ESPN were to pull the plug on the Longhorn network then they would have to do what's best for them.[/QUOTE

There is a 15 year deal with ESPN regarding our Tier 3 rights. ESPN would not be pulling anything for at least another 11 years, unless they want a massive lawsuit filed against them. After the contract with ESPN, if they choose not renew another contract for 3rd tier rights, there would be other major players ready to sign Texas, like IMG who owns WVU 3rd tier rights. When will the Mountaineer Network be ready to go?