• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buck Harless Dead at 94 Tough Loss for WVU

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Businessman, philanthropist James 'Buck' Harless dies at age 94
Harless was known for growing up in poverty in Mingo County, then going on to earn millions in mining, logging and manufacturing.

Courtesy photo
West Virginia coal and timber magnate James "Buck" Harless died on New Years Day at age 94.

Advertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- James H. "Buck" Harless, who worked his way from poverty to one of the state's top businessmen and most influential entrepreneurs, has died at the age of 94.
Harless died 10 p.m. Wednesday at his home in Gilbert, said Bill Raney, president of the West Virginia Coal Association.
While Harless had suffered a number of health problems, he remained active throughout his life, Raney said.
"Buck was an excellent example of all we hope to achieve," Raney said.
"He was humble and absolutely lived his faith. He practiced the golden rule and followed it faithfully. He was so successful that he could have lived and gone anywhere in the world but he chose to stay in his hometown of Gilbert. He was humble and approachable."
He was an active, longtime member of Gilbert Presbyterian Church. He also involved himself in community endeavors.
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin said, "West Virginia has lost a leader in our state's business community with the passing of James Buck Harless. Buck was committed to the people of our great state and the community he was proud to call home. He will long be remembered. Joanne and I extend our heartfelt condolences to his wife, Hallie, his extended family and friends."
Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., said Harless was a friend and an inspiration.
"I will always remember and admire Buck's passion to make West Virginia a better place to work and to live, and his contributions to our state, particularly to our coal industry, state education programs and Boy Scouts of America," Manchin said.
"Gayle and I are deeply saddened to learn of his passing, and we extend our condolences to his wife Hallie, his entire family and to all of those who were touched by his exceptional life."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said, "Buck's concern for his fellow West Virginians was evident in efforts, whether through providing health care resources for thousands, recreational programs for members of the community, or the thousands of jobs he created as a businessman, made immeasurable contributions to communities in our state."
WVU President E. Gordon Gee said, "In Buck Harless, West Virginia and West Virginia University has lost a giant. Buck was a man committed to the state and to higher education, but most important was committed to the common person.
"He made everyone and everything around him better. And, in so doing, he made a difference in the lives of many people who had never had a chance to meet him."
At various times, Harless served on the Board of Governors, the now-defunct University of West Virginia Board of Trustees and WVU Board of Advisors. He was director emeritus of the WVU Foundation Board of Directors.
He worked with twin brothers and physicians John and Jim Brick to get WVU doctors to travel to Mingo County to provide rural health care by hosting clinics. The Brick brothers and their WVU cohorts now host the clinics nearly every month.
West Virginia Republican Party Chairman Conrad Lucas called Harless "a true pioneer, leader, gentleman, philanthropist, and a very committed West Virginian."
He said his influence would continue for generations to come.

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, sorry to hear that. I met with him once when I worked for US Steel. He had a crisp white, perfectly pressed, Italian cotton, shirt with silver cuff links - that was from behind. It was on a strip mine site. I was very impressed until he turned around and there was a moist brown stain down the front of his shirt - tobacco spit!!!! We went back to his office ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL teak wood desk. The entire office was done in various wood - sooooo impressive. He did change his shirt when he got back to the office.

He was quite a character.