• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryon Scott "3 point shooting doesn't win championships"

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Should be interesting...

-----

Byron Scott on 3-pointers: 'I don't believe it wins championships'
By James Herbert | NBA writer
October 17, 2014 6:56 pm ET

Apparently it's Byron Scott day. We've looked at just how extreme the Los Angeles Lakers have been in avoiding 3-pointers this preseason, covered Scott being upset at his players' effort level and discussed the potentially disastrous situation in our podcast. Also, at Lakers practice on Friday, the head coach was asked about his philosophy on 3-point shooting:

@BaxterHolmes

I asked Lakers coach Byron Scott about his philosophy on 3-pointers. "I don't believe it wins championships. (It) gets you to the playoffs."

My, my, my. That's a pretty incredible statement considering what we saw from the San Antonio Spurs last season and the Miami Heat the two before that. In today's NBA, pretty much every organization has accepted that the 3-pointer is an extremely valuable weapon. Not everyone loves this -- Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said a few months ago that he wished all shots were worth two points - but everyone understands that it's how you win. Except Scott, I suppose.

There's irony here in that Scott was himself a good 3-point shooter as a player. Twice, he averaged about seven 3-point attempts per game over the course of a season. It's also unfortunate because, while the Lakers don't have a lot of strengths, this is a roster that could conceivably be decent from downtown. Oh well.

We'll leave you with a couple of fun facts from ESPN's Baxter Holmes:

@BaxterHolmes

In their last 3 preseason games, the Lakers are 1-19 from 3-point range, including going 0-8 in last 2 games, losses by a combined 74 pts.

@BaxterHolmes

Seven of the past eight NBA champions led all playoff teams in 3-point attempts and makes.
3:03 PM - 17 Oct 2014

CBSSports.com APP

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott clarified his position. It's not that he hates 3 point shots per say and is going to forbid them. What he wants is the fundamentals of solid defense which will lead to open shots and good offense which will then lead to open 3 shots. He said in the last game the players weren't positioned and spaced good enough to get 3 point shots off and that's why there were none

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop said you need 3 point shooting to win a championship. 7 of the last 8 champions made and took more 3s than the other team.

I think you interpreted his comments wrong

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right that you're wrong about him being right that he was wrong. :noidea:

I think the Laker haters with the exception of Basketballer are trying to read disaster into a situation that doesn't exist, because that's what they are hoping for and that's what they want. Scott told ESPN radio people that the reason the Lakers took zero 3 point shots was because the players were not positioned to take them and didn't have the spacing right. At this point in the time portal, they are working on the fundamentals of defense and execution. Scott has already said that when they get the spacing correct and set up the positions, they will take some 3 point shots. What Scott does not like is a team living on the 3 point shot

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right that you're wrong about him being right that he was wrong. :noidea:

Pop is right that you need 3 point shooting to win a championship and Scott is wrong about 3 pt shooting not win a championship. Lol

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think what Scott was trying to say is that teams who live & die by the 3 doesn't win titles and that statement is true. In other words the Dantoni system doesn't win titles

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think what Scott was trying to say is that teams who live & die by the 3 doesn't win titles and that statement is true. In other words the Dantoni system doesn't win titles

I honestly hated seeing the Lakers trying to make a living off the 3 point shot last year - we saw where that got them. The Lakers have won titles because of making critical 3 point shots, but I agree, because Scott already told the ESPN sports analysts on 710 am that the players were set up right to be taking 3 point shots and that we was not against them ever taking one - he just doesn't want them to make a living on them and I agree with that

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you, somebody gets it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^Exactly this^^^

Yes, you need to be able to hit 3's to win a title. However, when shooting the 3 is the biggest part of your offense, you're not going to win a title.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni's system didn't include defense. If Scott's game plan from the outset is to take a limited amount of 3's.... then you better play some damn good defense. Going into the half down by 15 because your defense keeps breaking down, then that means to get back into it, you're going need to shoot more 3's.

Not sure if LA has a roster that's going to be able to play consistent defense in order to stay with the game plan of limiting 3's

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni's system didn't include defense. If Scott's game plan from the outset is to take a limited amount of 3's.... then you better play some damn good defense. Going into the half down by 15 because your defense keeps breaking down, then that means to get back into it, you're going need to shoot more 3's.

Not sure if LA has a roster that's going to be able to play consistent defense in order to stay with the game plan of limiting 3's

It doesn't really matter for this season. It will be a bit of an upset for the Lakers to even make the playoffs, let alone contend for a title. The idea this season is to start establishing the identity that Scott wants and figure out who's going to fit that going forward.

I expect that the Lakers will end up averaging approximately 10-15 3's per game which should be just about right for this team and what Scott wants to do. Also, some of the guys that would be shooting 3's (Kelly, Nash, Lin and Henry) have been out with injuries for the last couple of games (Henry hasn't played at all).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except he's wrong. Plus, that not really what he's saying when you keep in mind what he's said all preseason about not wanting to shoot 3s, and to keep it in range of 10 to 15, which is pretty absurd to even be close to 10 a game. So with that in mind his comment translates to "I don't like 3s. You don't win championships with 3s. Therefore I'm justified by not shooting 3s". You are hamstringing your offense as a coach if that's the target number you're going for. Defenses will just pack the paint, the guards will play just hard enough to not give you a wide open 3, and you'll be left with nothing but long 2 pointers, a low percentage shot. You have to scheme 3s in the modern NBA, especially corner 3s. It loosens the defense so they can't play the hybrid zones which were we made legal at the start of the century. This isn't the 80s or early 90s where you can just beat your man off the dribble because everyone is in man to man. It's pretty clear his philosophy and the NBA reality of the last decade doesn't match up. He has to adjust to let LA shoot at least 18 a game if they even want to sniff at being competitive.

And FWIW, D'Anonti's system is actually fairly similar to what Pop has been doing the last 2 to 3 years in SA. So it's not like you can't win titles playing that loose. The major difference is Pop's teams bothered to play defense

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except he's wrong. Plus, that not really what he's saying when you keep in mind what he's said all preseason about not wanting to shoot 3s, and to keep it in range of 10 to 15, which is pretty absurd to even be close to 10 a game. So with that in mind his comment translates to "I don't like 3s. You don't win championships with 3s. Therefore I'm justified by not shooting 3s". You are hamstringing your offense as a coach if that's the target number you're going for. Defenses will just pack the paint, the guards will play just hard enough to not give you a wide open 3, and you'll be left with nothing but long 2 pointers, a low percentage shot. You have to scheme 3s in the modern NBA, especially corner 3s. It loosens the defense so they can't play the hybrid zones which were we made legal at the start of the century. This isn't the 80s or early 90s where you can just beat your man off the dribble because everyone is in man to man. It's pretty clear his philosophy and the NBA reality of the last decade doesn't match up. He has to adjust to let LA shoot at least 18 a game if they even want to sniff at being competitive.

And FWIW, D'Anonti's system is actually fairly similar to what Pop has been doing the last 2 to 3 years in SA. So it's not like you can't win titles playing that loose. The major difference is Pop's teams bothered to play defense

You make it seem like he doesn't like 3's at all. What he is saying, is teams that live and die by the 3, don't win championships. He is right! Spurs might have been a good 3 point shooting team, but there focus was never about shooting a lot of 3s.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it seem like he doesn't like 3's at all. What he is saying, is teams that live and die by the 3, don't win championships. He is right! Spurs might have been a good 3 point shooting team, but there focus was never about shooting a lot of 3s.
The thing is though....it's not like LA has an abundance of legit 3pt shooters to where Scott has to work them into his offense. It's just the opposite.

Why worry about how many 3's are going to taken when you really don't have the roster who shoot's them at a legit %? Or is that why he's stressing less 3's because he know's he doesn't those players who can make em' at a legit rate?

The Spurs can take a lot of 3's if need be cause they play good defense.