• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryce Harper

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're too busy cutting hair.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-6463-1373990733-29.gif

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bryce Harper is on a red-hot streak but the two best under-25 players in terms of statistics and accomplishments are Mike Trout (MVP, 2 runner-ups) and Jose Altuve (could have 800 hits, 180 steals and 2 seasons hitting .340 or better in an era of pitching dominance...crazy). With Altuve having another elite season, anything short of MVP will keep Harper behind Altuve. And it's going to take time for him to be on the same level as Trout. But, according to everything we've heard about him, Harper could end up the best of the lot (Jose Fernandez and Yasiel Puig are two others with bright futures if they can stay healthy).

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it will happen, but if he does have a great season.. Will all the haters still come out of the woodwork?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. People love to say this all the fucking time, but they never bother to cite any actual instances.

I don't think that's true. There have been many documented cases of him being an asshole. Lets not forget he was benched last year for not hustling, the 'That's a clown question, bro,' the 'Where's my ring?' after the Nats signed Scherzer...the little stuff adds up, especially considering up to this year, he's not exactly produced for the amount of pub he gets.

He's definitely crushing it now and has a world of talent, but lets cut the MVP shit until he plays for 3 uninterrupted months.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's true. There have been many documented cases of him being an asshole. Lets not forget he was benched last year for not hustling, the 'That's a clown question, bro,' the 'Where's my ring?' after the Nats signed Scherzer...the little stuff adds up, especially considering up to this year, he's not exactly produced for the amount of pub he gets.

He's definitely crushing it now and has a world of talent, but lets cut the MVP shit until he plays for 3 uninterrupted months.

If those are the kinds of things that make you think someone is an asshole, then you're pretty thin-skinned.

The only thing from him I didn't care for was the whole Matt Williams thing, but to be fair, Williams is a shitty manager.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those are the kinds of things that make you think someone is an asshole, then you're pretty thin-skinned.

The only thing from him I didn't care for was the whole Matt Williams thing, but to be fair, Williams is a shitty manager.

Pretty much it fits into the stereotypical douchebag mold, right or wrong.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you know what the "clown question" was? How that comment can be seen as a negative is beyond me. Like navamind said, I think you're pretty sensitive.

Also, who's said anything about MVP?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it will happen, but if he does have a great season.. Will all the haters still come out of the woodwork?
Imagine I'll dislike him more.

But he'll hurt himself soon, not too worried. Am a little impressed he's discovered it's okay to hit homers with men on base, he's really maturing into the superstar I've been told he is for the last four years.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat heads love this kid. Why do you guys get so defensive aboot this douche as a whole?

(Any of you can answer for the group. Thanks in advance.)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine I'll dislike him more.

But he'll hurt himself soon, not too worried. Am a little impressed he's discovered it's okay to hit homers with men on base, he's really maturing into the superstar I've been told he will be for the last four years.

Fixed.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat heads love this kid. Why do you guys get so defensive aboot this douche as a whole?

(Any of you can answer for the group. Thanks in advance.)

I wouldn't say I get defensive. I think I'm more in the middle, wondering why people hate him so much. I don't love him, but I don't hate him either.

I did like when Cole Hamels drilled Harper to "welcome" him to the majors and Harper just put his head down, took his base, and then stole home. That was badass.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two guys with huge egos played the game of nuance when it came to getting back in the box. of course, that called strike was w-r-o-n-g. harper peeped a little, and the the ump wanted to take a bite out of him. williams comes out, harper plays kind of dumb by putting his one foot on/in the box, and starts pointing with his bat, instead of just stepping back in. i know, he stepped out when the mask came off and williams started jawing. fair enough. but the ump wasn't having his game hijacked by harper. "his game", meaning, what he is responsibly for keeping moving along. it is what it is. two guys wanted to dance, they did, and one was told to grab pine for being clumsy.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think he was somewhat baited. Was he an asshole about sticking his toe in and pointing his bat? Sure. Should he have tossed? I don't think so. From what I've read these two have had a history.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper's an idiot. Shouldn't take long for him to come back down to earth. His WAR is 1.5 higher than Cruz? Give me a f***ing break.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper's an idiot. Shouldn't take long for him to come back down to earth. His WAR is 1.5 higher than Cruz? Give me a f***ing break.

A lot of that stems from defense. dWAR has Cruz at -0.8 while Harper's 0.7.

Obviously Harper will regress, but let's not act like Nelson Cruz won't come back down to earth. He's a career .272 hitter with a .354 BA. His BABIP is currently .386, his career average is .303.