• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce see the value in Price

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce on Price: ‘A good direction for our team’

Jay Bruce said Bryan Price has earned the respect of the entire Reds team. [Getty Images]

I’m, of course, effecting as many opinions on Bryan Price as possible, but here’s some stuff from Jay Bruce, who I talked to a bit this morning about Price.
• ”I’m excited, I’m very excited. Over the past four year he’s been the pitching coach, I’ve obviously had a great relationship with Bryan and I think he’ll do great as a manager. I think the proof is in the pudding with how he’s handled the pitching staff, but something that transcends that, in my opinion, is how he communicates with players and the relationship he has, the respect that he’s gained by being a guy that communicates well and expects a lot out of each person. I think that’s something that is pretty pivotal in leading a team. I’m excited. He’s progressive, he’s intelligent, I believe this is a good direction for our team and our organization.”
• “He does reach out to each player, I guess I can speak for everyone on the team that he does have relationships and he values each relationship. Even if he doesn’t coach you directly, you respect him for the way he goes about his business and the way he handles his job.”
• “He’s prepared. He’s as prepared as any person I’ve ever seen, professionally or even not professionally. I believe preparation leads to a lot of success and that’s why I think he’ll be successful. Bryan, he demands preparation. He demands consistency. I’ve seen that from the outside, how he handles his pitchers.”
• ”I believe that different people respond to different ways of coaching and teaching and I believe he has the personality where he notices that and he does whatever’s necessary to get through to that person. I believe managing in baseball goes back to managing personalities. Everyone up here can play, they’re here for a reason. The better you manage personalities and you understand how to get the most out of that person, the more successful that person’s going to be.”
• “He’s a guy that’s progressive and will do everything in his power to get the most out of our team. I think he’s done enough to earn the respect of all of our players over the last four years.”
• “I think Bryan’s going to be great, I’m really excited about the transition maybe not being so stark and a big deal in spring training. Bryan’s been there. He’s really created a reputation with the team and the organization and the team and everyone involved in this.”
• “I respect him as a person and I imagine the people he brings in will be of the same level of preparation and he’ll expect and demand the same things that he does.”

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much there I didn't expect.
No point pissing off the manager before spring training starts.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prepared...that's a change from "urgency is dangerous".

Progressive...maybe that means the manager might consult the mountain of statistical data available everywhere except in that crossword...might let him know that separating Votto and Bruce in the lineup makes little sense when they face a RHSP for 67% of their at bats, or that they both hit lefties better than Ludwick or Phillips.

Intelligent...meaning he might understand that playing the D in with 2 on and 1b open, with 1 out while pitching to the 8 hitter, with the closer on deck might not be the smartest move in the 9th inning if a playoff elimination game ? Or that saying you're trying to prevent a DP by attempting a steal with 1 out and 2 strikes is like saying youre trying to prevent losing your home to foreclosure by setting it on fire....or that OBP is overrated, the lineup is just a tossed salad, and walks just clog up the bases.

Ever heard Dusty talk about situational play ? Tracy Jones said as a hitting coach, Dusty's advice was "keep your eye on the ball". Dusty's advise on not striking out on breaking balls in the dirt to Drew Stubbs was "hit the fastball first". A real communicator that Dusty.

Time will tell, but Mr.Bruce, Arroyo, and a few others have made positive statements about Price that make obvious contrasts with Dusty. I haven't heard much from Phillips yet, but maybe he's still pizzed he isn't getting Votto's money. Ludwick has been silent too, probably waiting on fans to cheer him into making an energized statement.

I'm still interested in Price's dugout staff...predominantly the hitting coach. Regardless if Dusty's inability to communicate, at least he had swung a bat. Price is out of his core competency there, and obviously, so was Brook Jacoby.

Im happy they finally rid themselves of the millstone around their necks in Dusty, but Walt needs to address a couple of roster questions before this team can go farther.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As well, nobody in the NL-C expects to be worse next year. The division is going to be a dog-fight and the team that blends good offense (scoring runs early) and efficient use of a pitching staff will win 4 games a week.

That might be enough. The Reds are a good baseball team, not a great baseball team.

Brains are necessary and I think WJ and Banana Bob realized that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was moderately shocked they fired Dusty. Im glad, because I feared him surviving other opportunities to rid him were a sign they either didn't see his incompetence, or that something prevented them from acting on it. Although it was apparent to me Dusty completely lost this team about 3 weeks before the end, I wasn't sure anyone else thought so.

There were a few clues that things went south other than just the lifeless play- a few more pointed jabs at Dusty by Reds media, BP's "liar/slap in the face" interview, the Ludwick "fans lack of energy let us down" idiocy statement, the repeated short, stiff, uncomfortable body languages behind the microphone, and the constant "don't worry we're still in the playoffs / urgency is dangerous" statements, without any change on the field, etc. I also remember Bill Cunningham's clubhouse azz-ripping and his telling Dusty (and players) about his/ their bafoonery and if things didnt changehe would ask Bob to fire him.

At any rate, it's a start. They need to fill dugout staff next- hoping a couple of new faces are in hhe cards..

This team isn't that far off talent wise- with the proviso they don't get weaker losing Choo, Arroyo, possibly trading BP...and trying to sell filling THIER spots with Hamilton, Reynolds and a full season of Ryan Ludwick....I'm not buying that chiknschidt sandwich.