• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: BRONZE

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia, Canada, Germany. Those are my three favorite anthems.

I'm surprised to see so much praise for the Russian anthem given its lack of popularity among Russians. I suppose the difference is that to non-Russians the history doesn't mean anything.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised to see so much praise for the Russian anthem given its lack of popularity among Russians. I suppose the difference is that to non-Russians the history doesn't mean anything.

Obviously I don't understand the words, but the sound of the music makes me feel patriotic...and I'm not the least bit Russian. Even the German anthem has some negative vibe because it was used during Nazi reign...and the fact that the lyrics are "Germany over all!", but man it's an awesome song.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More for the melody than anything else in my case...

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Germans must love fratelli d'italia since they get to hear it all the time after big soccer games

/they should change the name of the italian anthem to "more german tears"

As for the bronze medal game ..... Meh

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I don't understand the words, but the sound of the music makes me feel patriotic...and I'm not the least bit Russian. Even the German anthem has some negative vibe because it was used during Nazi reign...and the fact that the lyrics are "Germany over all!", but man it's an awesome song.

The current words are fine, but it's probably tough for some people to hear the tune and not think about the fact that the original lyrics name-dropped Stalin. Which is probably still the fondest memory anyone has about Stalin anyway. The German anthem is probably perceived a little differently in that it had already been the anthem for many years before Hitler came to power.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got this from another board:

Rychel, Laughton, Pelech, Leier, Dumba, Hudon and Anderson......all 94 birth years (19 year olds) combined for 6 points in 7 games.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got this from another board:

Rychel, Laughton, Pelech, Leier, Dumba, Hudon and Anderson......all 94 birth years (19 year olds) combined for 6 points in 7 games.

Rychel (decent)
Laughton (awful)
Pelech (was he playing?)
Leier (had no business in that rink without buying a ticket)
Dumba (garbage in this tournament)
Hudon (should have probably been given more ice)
Anderson (not good enough to be on this team)

I said that this team could have used some more speed.

The good news is there are some good 95+ players who could be returning.

Lazar (one of the best 3 forwards this year; could easily dominate next year if on the team)
Ekblad (was surprisingly solid; could be a beast next year)
McDavid (should be much better next year)
Reinhart (unlikely to not be in the NHL, but it's possible; would likely be on the top line)
Horvat (likely to be here next year; could be dominant)
Petan (could be a really good scorer at next year's tourney)
Fucale (wasn't the problem with this team and should be the starter next year)
Bigras (was not very good but D-men who play in this tournament twice usually do REALLY well in the second year)
Morrissey (see Bigras comments)

I'd say that's a pretty good core. I didn't include Drouin because I doubt that he will be made available.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I CANT see him NOT making the canucks next season

Really??

Not that I don't think he could play in the NHL next year but the Canucks are a good team. I was banking on them not rushing the kid because they don't really need to rush him and his ELC into the NHL.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also say that this year's Team Canada needed guys like MacKinnon, Monahan, Rielly, and Tom Wilson (four guys eligible that were not released by their NHL teams). And yes, I know that other countries also had players in the NHL that were not released for their respective countries. As mentioned earlier, this was a very young Team Canada and they could have used some older guys with NHL game experience on this squad.

/The team looked "frozen in the moment" as Bobby Mac stated yesterday.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also say that this year's Team Canada needed guys like MacKinnon, Monahan, Rielly, and Tom Wilson (four guys eligible that were not released by their NHL teams). And yes, I know that other countries also had players in the NHL that were not released for their respective countries. As mentioned earlier, this was a very young Team Canada and they could have used some older guys with NHL game experience on this squad.

/The team looked "frozen in the moment" as Bobby Mac stated yesterday.

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES DASH ... WE NEED A NATIONAL INQUIRY INTO THIS DISASTROUS DEBAUCLE!!!

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crank those sarc. detectors please

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - Butter says we're too focused on winning games at the grassroots level and not enough on skill development in this country.

Sutter concedes Canada is failing at grassroots level | Hockey | Sports | Calgary Sun

I think I read basically the same article talking about the USAs U18 development.

If you ask me, there might be something to it. Not necessarily that there isn't the skill development, but that kids coming up nowadays have too much free reign thanks to parents screaming that their precious little snowflakes aren't on the "top" team. When daddy gets you on the Select team, you don't feel like you need to work.

Funny though, I have four select kids on my house team. And they say they like my practices better. More fun. Probably because we do more than just 4 drills an hour, and I don't use ice time for chalk talk. Skate, Drill, Small Area Game, Drill, Small Area Game.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like what Bobby Orr has said (and I think wrote in his book) - Too many kids are playing hockey year round these days at the exclusion of other sports. When we were kids, we played hockey during the winter, but when spring/summer rolled around, it was baseball, soccer, football, tennis, golf etc. You need that variety or else things get stale pretty quickly.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the TRUE answers will come out in the public inquiry ... i want to see Butters head on a stick!