• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bronze Medal Game: USA vs. FInland

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I didn't turn it on until early in the second just as Selanne scored (and that one was a little soft by Quick), so I don't know if the US team came out good but after those 2 fast goals, USA hockey should have been embarrassed, to say the least. I get what people say about the all or nothing mindset in North America and yes, the Canadians have done this in the past too, but what I saw was a complete lack of heart and leadership. I know they had to be let down after yesterday's heart breaker but this was a really sad effort by them. Congrats to Teemu Selanne and Finland for the bronze medal. They deserved it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Its called a joke

oops again. thought you were expecting some stats backlash from those who quote 'em, but don't quite understand 'em.
ignore me I am still drunk on bacon.

no wait, I mean:

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I didn't turn it on until early in the second just as Selanne scored (and that one was a little soft by Quick), so I don't know if the US team came out good but after those 2 fast goals, USA hockey should have been embarrassed, to say the least. I get what people say about the all or nothing mindset in North America and yes, the Canadians have done this in the past too, but what I saw was a complete lack of heart and leadership. I know they had to be let down after yesterday's heart breaker but this was a really sad effort by them. Congrats to Teemu Selanne and Finland for the bronze medal. They deserved it.

I don't find it embarrassing. You play your heart out trying to get to the gold medal game, you drop a really tough game (against your rival no less) and you have to turn around less than 24 hours later and get up to play a meaningless game? That's awfully tough. There's a reason MLB, NFL, NHL etc don't have teams play a playoff game/series for third place (the NFL used to and it was a flop). IMO it would be an improvement if they dumped the bronze medal game and just gave both teams that lose in the semis a bronze medal.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to see NHL players in the Olympics in 2018.

Don't worry, they won't be. The only reason the NHL came to these games really was all the Russian players saying they were coming to Sochi regardless of an agreement with the IOC. The NHL's hand was forced. Something tells me they won't have that problem in 2018....

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, they won't be. The only reason the NHL came to these games really was all the Russian players saying they were coming to Sochi regardless of an agreement with the IOC. The NHL's hand was forced. Something tells me they won't have that problem in 2018....

I hope you're right.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't find it embarrassing. You play your heart out trying to get to the gold medal game, you drop a really tough game (against your rival no less) and you have to turn around less than 24 hours later and get up to play a meaningless game? That's awfully tough. There's a reason MLB, NFL, NHL etc don't have teams play a playoff game/series for third place (the NFL used to and it was a flop). IMO it would be an improvement if they dumped the bronze medal game and just gave both teams that lose in the semis a bronze medal.

But they don't give out Bronze Medals to both semi-finals losers, so it's not a meaningless game. If nothing else, it's a chance to show that "We may have lost to those guys, but we can still give you our very best effort" - and, for many on the squad, it's a 1st chance to show whoever picks Team USA for 2018 what they are made of, mentally speaking.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they don't give out Bronze Medals to both semi-finals losers,
so it's not a meaningless game. If nothing else, it's a chance to show that "We may have lost to those guys, but we can still give you our very best effort" - and, for many on the squad, it's a 1st chance to show whoever picks Team USA for 2018 what they are made of, mentally speaking.

Very well put.

I don't see the gm and coach's throwing together a team of Gaylord Fockers' to go out and get participation medals.

Absolutely,no shame whatsoever IMO in getting a bronze.No team in this tourney ,should have been taken lightly,as it doesn't take much to get your game up for any team you face.Canada was given one hell of a scare from Latvia.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame - they'd played well for a pretty mediocre roster after Quick and Kane (the only top-50-in-the-NHL guys on the team and the only two who would have been given a roster spot on Team Canada). The coaches had done well to select a quick team that could at least create scoring chances, even if they couldn't play a lick of defense.

Just be grateful they didn't have to play the Swedes with a healthy Zetterberg and both Sedins - THAT would have been a blow-out, as the Canada match should have been.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they don't give out Bronze Medals to both semi-finals losers, so it's not a meaningless game. If nothing else, it's a chance to show that "We may have lost to those guys, but we can still give you our very best effort" - and, for many on the squad, it's a 1st chance to show whoever picks Team USA for 2018 what they are made of, mentally speaking.

I don't see a difference between getting a medal for losing and not getting a medal for losing. To play a game to determine the better loser after what these guys went through (and knowing they still have an NHL season to finish plus potential playoffs for a lot of these guys) is a joke and a waste and the nature of the game invites uninspired play. I'm not going to deride the players for that and it shouldn't be held against them.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Very well put.

I don't see the gm and coach's throwing together a team of Gaylord Fockers' to go out and get participation medals.

Absolutely,no shame whatsoever IMO in getting a bronze.No team in this tourney ,should have been taken lightly,as it doesn't take much to get your game up for any team you face.Canada was given one hell of a scare from Latvia.

Selanne said today that he would rather win for Bronze than lose for Silver
Fins played like that today.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaming Blysma is the biggest cop out you can make. Yesterday was a disappointing, albeit not horrible, loss...and I'm pretty sure that the team mentally checked out after that. Pat Kane missing twice on penalty shots doesn't help either.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said yesterday after losing to Canada, that we wouldn't win this game.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even bother to watch

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaming Blysma is the biggest cop out you can make. Yesterday was a disappointing, albeit not horrible, loss...and I'm pretty sure that the team mentally checked out after that. Pat Kane missing twice on penalty shots doesn't help either.

Well, Disco Dan is taking a lot of heat for having last change and not trying to get Kessel away from the Toews' line. To be fair, he said he didn't mind the matchup, but aside from the opening minute when he blew by Duncan Keith, I didn't notice Phil very much yesterday.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Disco Dan is taking a lot of heat for having last change and not trying to get Kessel away from the Toews' line. To be fair, he said he didn't mind the matchup, but aside from the opening minute when he blew by Duncan Keith, I didn't notice Phil very much yesterday.

Yep ... Lebrun:

Confusing line matching. Phil Kessel was perhaps the most dynamic offensive player in this tournament entering the semifinals. Not on this night. He was shut down by the Jonathan Toews line with Patrick Marleau and Jeff Carter. What befuddles me is why U.S. head coach Dan Bylsma, having the last line change as the home team, didn't try enough to get Kessel's group away from Toews'. Makes no sense to me at all.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're damned if you do damned if you don't

If he begins to tinker with lines and matchups during the Canada game and the US still gets shutout, he is skewered for tinkering with the most dynamic offense in the tournament up to that point. Canada pretty much played the perfect defensive game and the US just got outplayed.

Plain and simple, the US overachieved in Vancouver and maybe underachieved a little here after starting off the tournament so strong - I know pretty much every US fan I've seen on here had this team up on a pedestal this time a week ago, but it's not like they choked or anything - they just got beat by better teams, plain and simple.