• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Pick 162 Montrell Washington WR Sanford

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to paton and hackett
williams will get the chance to be the returner

he’s a ST pick

you never know if he can catch the ball with 11 full grown men bearing down

We have 4 players with the last name of Williams on our team and I don't think any of them are going to be looked as a returner. (DeShawn, Javonte, Seth, K'uan) so I am going to assume you mean Washington. :)

I don't think there is any doubt any anyone's mind what we drafted Washington to do... We surely did not draft him because we thought we needed him at WR or felt we needed a WR period.. Washington is a playmaker... Now let's see if he can do the same at the NFL level. Low risk/ high reward pick.

I said this before about Spencer. I liked that we could trust him not to put the ball on the turf but other then the Carolina game the year before he really wasn't giving us much excitement on returns. We need to step that up a bit in a division where we are going to need to score a lot of points and any way possible is helpful.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 4 players with the last name of Williams on our team and I don't think any of them are going to be looked as a returner. (DeShawn, Javonte, Seth, K'uan) so I am going to assume you mean Washington. :)

I don't think there is any doubt any anyone's mind what we drafted Washington to do... We surely did not draft him because we thought we needed him at WR or felt we needed a WR period.. Washington is a playmaker... Now let's see if he can do the same at the NFL level. Low risk/ high reward pick.

I said this before about Spencer. I liked that we could trust him not to put the ball on the turf but other then the Carolina game the year before he really wasn't giving us much excitement on returns. We need to step that up a bit in a division where we are going to need to score a lot of points and any way possible is helpful.
LOL - just realized - I just posted about "Williams" instead of Washington.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this way of thinking. #1 especially.

According to who could we have had him as an UDFA? The other 31 team and his agent?

If you like someone well enough you go get him. If we feel Washington is a difference maker, dynamic return man playmaker you go get him. You don't risk the thought of waiting until Round 7 or as an UDFA... If you like him well enough on day 3 you go get that guy. The chances when you are sitting in Round 5 loving on a player worried about taking him too early is the liklihood that at least 1 if not more then 1 of the other 31 teams are thinking/deciding the same thing. Round 5 is not too early for a player you "LOVE" and feel can help your team right away.... Allen Iverson voice "we talking about round 5 here, not round 1, round 2, round 3, we talking about Round 5"... I have no issues with this. Why would you bank on signing someone you really want as an UDFA having no clue what other teams are calling for him? If you love him you get him!

I am excited about this pick. Yeah, he may not give us much at WR (He could though) but most likely is purely a return man... But we are talking about Round 5. If you see a player that fills an important role.. Go get him... Why go out and get an 8th CB or 17th LB just to take a "different" position and risk losing a guy you love?
he himself said he didn’t expect to be drafted

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he himself said he didn’t expect to be drafted

That's fine and all but that doesn't really go with my point.

Why would you let a guy you REALLY want and value slide undrafted???

I don't care what so and so thinks... I care how the staff feels/evaluate.

The Broncos surely were not the only team that was going to offer Washington a contract undrafted. When you let someone slide undrafted he becomes a free agent thus you take a big risk.. It becomes recruiting at that point.... If you draft him, he is yours with nobody to compete against.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Montrell Washington is probably similar comparable to KR/PR Deonte Harris in the NFL... Harris went undrafted and is one of the better returners in the NFL... Round 5... Would I rather draft a impactful KR over some project RT who I will probably end up drafting another RT next year anyway or would I rather get value in a guy who will fill a role in which we don't currently have anyone filling right now? Give me Washington and why risk waiting? That's just me though.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Samford is also a pretty good program. Seems they always produce good WR's and DB's. Not many household names but for a smaller school quite a few have gotten into the NFL. Probably the biggest names being Cortland Finnegan, James Bradbery, Corey White and Jarquarski Tartt. The others were for a small cup of coffee but they made it there. We had Kelvin McKnight and Ahmed Gooden in camp with us a few years back...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Carson Strong thought he would be a Day 1 or 2 pick but alas he wasn’t picked at all.

This was not the year to be a QB if you wanted to be drafted early…

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Carson Strong thought he would be a Day 1 or 2 pick but alas he wasn’t picked at all.

Strong said that? Day 1 not a chance. Day two probably not... Surprised he wasn't a day 3 pick though. I wonder if his knees didn't check out well.

In my head I feel like this is the least amount of QB's I recall being drafted. I remember when I was a youngen there was a draft where Michigan State QB Tony Banks was the first QB taken and it wasn't until the 2nd round (Rams).

I was sorta happy to see Brock Purdy go with the final pick. Two years ago I would have thought he would be a top 3 round pick but he really is just the same QB he was as a FR/SOPH. Never really grew.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like this way of thinking. #1 especially.

According to who could we have had him as an UDFA? The other 31 team and his agent?

If you like someone well enough you go get him. If we feel Washington is a difference maker, dynamic return man playmaker you go get him. You don't risk the thought of waiting until Round 7 or as an UDFA... If you like him well enough on day 3 you go get that guy. The chances when you are sitting in Round 5 loving on a player worried about taking him too early is the liklihood that at least 1 if not more then 1 of the other 31 teams are thinking/deciding the same thing. Round 5 is not too early for a player you "LOVE" and feel can help your team right away.... Allen Iverson voice "we talking about round 5 here, not round 1, round 2, round 3, we talking about Round 5"... I have no issues with this. Why would you bank on signing someone you really want as an UDFA having no clue what other teams are calling for him? If you love him you get him!

I am excited about this pick. Yeah, he may not give us much at WR (He could though) but most likely is purely a return man... But we are talking about Round 5. If you see a player that fills an important role.. Go get him... Why go out and get an 8th CB or 17th LB just to take a "different" position and risk losing a guy you love?

Because the draft is a competition. It's a competition that you're having with all of the other franchises and you have limited resources. The game is to spend those resources wisely and to acquire players that will improve your team. In that particular round the move was to draft Zyon McCollum at 152, and you can see that McCollum was picked at 157 by the Bucs, who traded up to grab him because he was the kind of guy that several teams were interested in and the value was high for the resources spent. Taking McCollum at 152 leaves you to pick Turner-Yell at 162 which is another good move. And Wattenberg is a guy that they probably didn't have to trade up to get.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine and all but that doesn't really go with my point.

Why would you let a guy you REALLY want and value slide undrafted???

I don't care what so and so thinks... I care how the staff feels/evaluate.

The Broncos surely were not the only team that was going to offer Washington a contract undrafted. When you let someone slide undrafted he becomes a free agent thus you take a big risk.. It becomes recruiting at that point.... If you draft him, he is yours with nobody to compete against.

That's what you use 7th round picks on.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what you use 7th round picks on.

Again---- If you like him well enough and don't want to lose him you don't risk someone taking him before you pick in Round 7. It's sorta like Mingo drafting his favorite Broncos every year in fantasy football. It might be a round or two early but there is always that LGM willing to take them early too.

Washington makes an impact on PR duties and he is well worth a 5th rd pick. Quality!

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again---- If you like him well enough and don't want to lose him you don't risk someone taking him before you pick in Round 7. It's sorta like Mingo drafting his favorite Broncos every year in fantasy football. It might be a round or two early but there is always that LGM willing to take them early too.

Washington makes an impact on PR duties and he is well worth a 5th rd pick. Quality!
...and that comes back to how you value your prospects versus how the rest of the league does. The guy was regarded as an UDFA. He, himself, though he was going to be an UDFA. If he was regarded as a 7th rounder then make the moves to get him before someone else does: High in the 7th, or in the 6th.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thought with a different view. Let’s say you have had stinkin thinkin the past few years regarding special teams. Now you bring in a new ST coach to remedy that. And just maybe he says, “this is a dude I’d really, really like on my squad.” As a GM and HC, don’t you want to do something to help this new coach succeed?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and that comes back to how you value your prospects versus how the rest of the league does. The guy was regarded as an UDFA. He, himself, though he was going to be an UDFA. If he was regarded as a 7th rounder then make the moves to get him before someone else does: High in the 7th, or in the 6th.

Regarded by who? We don't know what 31 other teams are thinking. Which is why we spent a 5th rd pick on him. We are talking about Round 5 here, not round 2 or 3 or even 4... The round people do this stuff.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarded by who? We don't know what 31 other teams are thinking. Which is why we spent a 5th rd pick on him. We are talking about Round 5 here, not round 2 or 3 or even 4... The round people do this stuff.
Lol, who? Every media source that ranks prospects and the man himself.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He finishes TD runs like he's Secretariat at the Belmont.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t wait to see these new guys go. Washington has some juice!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, who? Every media source that ranks prospects and the man himself.

But shouldn't we care about the other 31 teams and not the media? The media isn't selecting. The media has ZERO picks in this draft.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But shouldn't we care about the other 31 teams and not the media? The media isn't selecting. The media has ZERO picks in this draft.

You asked, I answered. What we do know is that at least one other team valued McCollum as worth at least a pick in the top half of round 5. Because we passed on him and he was taken shortly afterwards. Which is just a bit later than he was projected to be taken. Going by what we do know and by any reasonable estimation of value...we reached for an UDFA. I wouldn't say Paton shit the bed like Amber Heard in round 5 but I do disagree with the picks he made.