• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Osweiler is Matt Flynn

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Click the link for the full article

From the Mike High Report. It appears this is from a Denver fan or sports writer. What are Denver fans thoughts on this?

Ok, so now we come to Osweiler, the "heir apparent" to you-know-who.

Allow me to slap the ridiculous attempts at "Brock is da best" arguments that I have read over and over again like a doctor slaps a newborn baby's ass.

"Brock beat New England and Cincy": False: The defense beat the Pats and Bengals. Brock helped put the Broncos in 14+ point deficits. The defense helped bail them out. As well as CJ Anderson.

"Brock is 5-2 as a starter": True, but that's like saying "you know who" won the Super Bowl. The Defense did and you all know it.

"This is a 'what have you done for me lately league. Brock has won, so his price is through the roof": False. The last time we saw Brock, he got BENCHED. So in the "what have you done for me lately" league, the answer is "you got benched for a QB that couldn't play dead in a western."

Ok, now onto the crux of my argument: Brock lacks the experience to be given anything but a middle of the road contract. I'm talking in the $10-12 million per year range. If you want to guarantee the money so he takes less, that's fine. If you want to put incentives on it for his performance, that's fine. But to straight up pay him more than that is simply irresponsible.

You say Cousins and Bradford set the market for "average" QB's? I'll see you that and raise you "Brock isn't in their class yet." Don'e believe me? Here, let's break it down, shall we?

Kirk Cousins: 25 starts
Sam Bradford: 63 starts
Ryan Tannehill: 64 out of a possible 64 starts
RGIII: 35 starts
Brock Osweiler: 7 starts

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Click the link for the full article

From the Mike High Report. It appears this is from a Denver fan or sports writer. What are Denver fans thoughts on this?

Ok, so now we come to Osweiler, the "heir apparent" to you-know-who.

Allow me to slap the ridiculous attempts at "Brock is da best" arguments that I have read over and over again like a doctor slaps a newborn baby's ass.

"Brock beat New England and Cincy": False: The defense beat the Pats and Bengals. Brock helped put the Broncos in 14+ point deficits. The defense helped bail them out. As well as CJ Anderson.

"Brock is 5-2 as a starter": True, but that's like saying "you know who" won the Super Bowl. The Defense did and you all know it.

"This is a 'what have you done for me lately league. Brock has won, so his price is through the roof": False. The last time we saw Brock, he got BENCHED. So in the "what have you done for me lately" league, the answer is "you got benched for a QB that couldn't play dead in a western."

Ok, now onto the crux of my argument: Brock lacks the experience to be given anything but a middle of the road contract. I'm talking in the $10-12 million per year range. If you want to guarantee the money so he takes less, that's fine. If you want to put incentives on it for his performance, that's fine. But to straight up pay him more than that is simply irresponsible.

You say Cousins and Bradford set the market for "average" QB's? I'll see you that and raise you "Brock isn't in their class yet." Don'e believe me? Here, let's break it down, shall we?

Kirk Cousins: 25 starts
Sam Bradford: 63 starts
Ryan Tannehill: 64 out of a possible 64 starts
RGIII: 35 starts
Brock Osweiler: 7 starts

Brock Osweiler 6 ft 7 in 240 pounds, has a stronger arm, and is more athletic then Matt Flynn. Brock was drafted in the second round and Matt Flynn was drafted in the 7th round and has a weak arm and no mobility. Yes someone will over pay for Brock but comparing him to Matt Flynn is a joke. Without Brock the Broncos don't win the Super Bowl or would have even made it. I'll take Brock over RG!!!, Tannehill, and Bradford every day of the week.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with the OP. Osweiler was drafted to be the Broncos' next QB. Flynn was never intended to surplant Rodgers and was a 7th round pick. Only a few inflated performances caused him to ever be considered as a starting QB option. Osweiler is the opposite, as a 2nd rounder with solid performances this past season. He got benched because the other option was a returning to health Peyton Manning, not because of failures of his own.

As far as what he's worth? That will be determined by the market. If the Broncos low-ball him, competition for his services will definitely arise.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Osweiler 6 ft 7 in 240 pounds, has a stronger arm, and is more athletic then Matt Flynn. Brock was drafted in the second round and Matt Flynn was drafted in the 7th round and has a weak arm and no mobility. Yes someone will over pay for Brock but comparing him to Matt Flynn is a joke. Without Brock the Broncos don't win the Super Bowl or would have even made it. I'll take Brock over RG!!!, Tannehill, and Bradford every day of the week.
So Brock is Dan McGwire???

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still on the fence about Brock. I think he showed signs of potential but there were some serious red flags there. I certainly wouldn't pay him what Bradford and Cousins got. He's got a lot to prove in my eyes.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Brock a career backup....or he a future decent starter?

No one has seen enough of him to know for sure either way what he is at this point.

But like Flynn, he is hitting the FA market at exactly the right time where some team is going to massively overbid for his services without knowing the answer to that question.

It is not an apt comparison talent wise as they are very different QB's with very different styles....but it is a very apt comparison in terms of being completely overvalued on the FA market.

And Flynn I guess is the modern comparison. Really he is a lot more like Scott Mitchell. Big strong armed QB who learned behind a legend and where some team was forced to invest more than they probably should have based on only a brief period of playing time.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything here, except that last sentence. Seems to me that keeping Oz is going to cost nearly as much as it would to keep Manning. Denver can't really afford that if it wants to sign Miller to a long-term deal, keep Jackson (who is probably gone regardless) and Ware. Might have to let Oz go.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will not surprise me if Brock gets overpaid. Rumors have him wanting considerably more than the broncos are offering. I just hope the broncos are not the ones getting ripped off.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with the OP. Osweiler was drafted to be the Broncos' next QB. Flynn was never intended to surplant Rodgers and was a 7th round pick. Only a few inflated performances caused him to ever be considered as a starting QB option. Osweiler is the opposite, as a 2nd rounder with solid performances this past season. He got benched because the other option was a returning to health Peyton Manning, not because of failures of his own.

As far as what he's worth? That will be determined by the market. If the Broncos low-ball him, competition for his services will definitely arise.

Sounds like a candidate for the non-exclusive tag.

IMO...the writer the OP was highlighting is more right than wrong...idt Osweiler has shown enough to give a long term huge deal without the team having a reasonable out after 2 yrs...any team willing to give him a long term deal with $35-40 mil guaranteed is taking a huge risk.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a candidate for the non-exclusive tag.

IMO...the writer the OP was highlighting is more right than wrong...idt Osweiler has shown enough to give a long term huge deal without the team having a reasonable out after 2 yrs...any team willing to give him a long term deal with $35-40 mil guaranteed is taking a huge risk.

If any team should be willing, it would be Denver. They have been grooming him for years now. If they still aren't sure, then they should move on (or at least try to get him on the cheap and draft another QB).

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With Brock, you don't make the SB, that's why they put a 60% PM back in there.....
And I agree he is better than RG-3, but Tanny and Bradford have shown they can win without a lights out D to set them up to score 90% of the time, so I'd take either of those guys over him......
But all reports are that Elway likes him and wants him to be their starter going forward, that means they have to pay him something comparable to a starting qb to do that and players will have to be cut to make that possible...
As someone already said, Ware,Jackson and Miller need a contract.....
It will be interesting to see what they decide to do in the end....:scratch:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When all is said and done, I think Brock's career will be closer to Matt Cassel than Matt Flynn.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Flynn? If you're going to insult a tall QB 1 hit wonder, call him Scott Mitchell or Derek Anderson.

I think Osweiler is a starter and Demarius Thomas is probably the right type of receiver for him. Broncos pretty much have to sign him imo

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Flynn? If you're going to insult a tall QB 1 hit wonder, call him Scott Mitchell or Derek Anderson.

I think Osweiler is a starter and Demarius Thomas is probably the right type of receiver for him. Broncos pretty much have to sign him imo

Well he will have the whole off season, TC, pre season to get comfortable as the starter and learn the system better, that's a plus.....
But in the end, you have to come out and do it on gameday, when those DE's are coming for your head, and you don't know what game plan the other D has to stop you.....
So I can see their enthusiasm but he has to be paid before they get to see and that ain't a good position to be in for the team....
It may work out, just as much a chance it don't, but it will cost them to find out for sure....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure about that. Might depend on what the team thinks about Trevor Siemian and how much signing Oz costs relative to some of the cheaper free agent QBs. I think that keeping the defense as much together as possible might be a bigger priority than re-signing Oz, particularly if some team(s) makes him a big offer.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about that. Might depend on what the team thinks about Trevor Siemian and how much signing Oz costs relative to some of the cheaper free agent QBs. I think that keeping the defense as much together as possible might be a bigger priority than re-signing Oz, particularly if some team(s) makes him a big offer.
I think Elway has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signings but Ozweiler is certainly an upgrade over Peyton from last year and he has been in the system for awhile. Id say its much riskier to go a different direction.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elway has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to signings but Ozweiler is certainly an upgrade over Peyton from last year and he has been in the system for awhile. Id say its much riskier to go a different direction.

I think the biggest risk is to not keep the defense intact as much as possible. We saw last year that that defense doesn't need great QB play in order to win.