• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Briles is back...as a Texas HS Football Coach

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what Dandy Don Meredith would think about the hire by his old home town HS.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what Dandy Don Meredith would think about the hire by his old home town HS.

Dandy Don would love it.

"Turn out the lights...the party's over."

Don't ya miss him? Hell, don't you miss all of it?

I think of QB's like Bobby Layne and Dandy Don. They were all blue collar folks. And those guys knew how to
battle and drink. Pete Gent was thinking of Dandy Don when he wrote North Dallas Forty.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dandy Don would love it.

Pete Gent was thinking of Dandy Don when he wrote North Dallas Forty.

I'll wade in the Red Sea, but I won't drink from it.

(or maybe that was from another book)

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wade in the Red Sea, but I won't drink from it.

(or maybe that was from another book)

Changing the subject just a bit, but Art Donovan, pretty damn good tackle for the Old Colts, was once talking about Bobby Layne. He told a story about sacking Layne in the 3rd quarter of a Colts/Lions game. He said he could smell
the liquor on Layne. (Bobby never wore a face mask when he played). Donovan said he asked him while laying
on top of him. "Did you do some partying last night Bobby?" and Layne replied..."Nah, I took a couple of shots
at halftime."

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dandy Don would love it.

"Turn out the lights...the party's over."

Don't ya miss him? Hell, don't you miss all of it?

I think of QB's like Bobby Layne and Dandy Don. They were all blue collar folks. And those guys knew how to
battle and drink. Pete Gent was thinking of Dandy Don when he wrote North Dallas Forty.
Yeah. The blue collar of all blue collar guys had to be Sammy Baugh. He lived in the area where I lived until he passed away. In fact, his son coached HS football here for several years. His great grandson was the QB on the HS football team here the last couple of years...just graduated Friday night. The golf course where I play is the Smmey Baugh Golf Course at Western Texas College.

All that aside, there are lots of Sammy Baugh stories around here. He hated any and all things high society...the anti Brodway Joe. Crusty old cantankerous rancher. My mother in law worked at the phone company. Sam would come in to pay his phone bill with cash every month instead of paying by check. She swears he would have snuff infested spit dripping down his chin every time he came in and wiped it on his shirt sleeve if he couldn't spit. Hated banquets...wouldn't go to 'em. His casket was taken to the cemetery in a horse drawn cart when he died. Cuss anywhere and anytime. Now that I think of it Sam migh have been less than blud collar.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The blue collar of all blue collar guys had to be Sammy Baugh. He lived in the area where I lived until he passed away. In fact, his son coached HS football here for several years. His great grandson was the QB on the HS football team here the last couple of years...just graduated Friday night. The golf course where I play is the Smmey Baugh Golf Course at Western Texas College.

All that aside, there are lots of Sammy Baugh stories around here. He hated any and all things high society...the anti Brodway Joe. Crusty old cantankerous rancher. My mother in law worked at the phone company. Sam would come in to pay his phone bill with cash every month instead of paying by check. She swears he would have snuff infested spit dripping down his chin every time he came in and wiped it on his shirt sleeve if he couldn't spit. Hated banquets...wouldn't go to 'em. His casket was taken to the cemetery in a horse drawn cart when he died. Cuss anywhere and anytime. Now that I think of it Sam migh have been less than blud collar.

I love Sammy Baugh stories.

There was one year in the NFL where he had a unique double. He led the NFL in TD Passes and, because he played both ways, led the NFL in Interceptions. (He also led the NFL in Punting)

When you wrote he wasn't high society, it reminded me of a story I read about him once involving the 1940 NFL
Title game that the Skins lost 73-0.

Bill Osmanski (sp?) of the Bears went 68 yds for a TD on the first play of the game. Well, the 'Skins, who were
favored took the ensuing kickoff and marched on down the field. They went for it on 4th down, from inside the 10 yard
line and Charlie Malone, a Washington receiver, dropped a perfectly thrown ball.

After the game Baugh was asked what he thought the score might have been if Malone had caught that TD pass.
Baugh replied..."The way we played and the Bears played today...it would have been 73-7!"

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This High School has no idea what is about to hit them.

The local sports talk show ran a clip of reporters asking the AD about the vetting process, and Briles' past. He wasn't prepared for the shit storm that was about to hit him.

Stay tuned.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This High School has no idea what is about to hit them.

The local sports talk show ran a clip of reporters asking the AD about the vetting process, and Briles' past. He wasn't prepared for the shit storm that was about to hit him.

Stay tuned.
Just how long am I supposed to sit here waiting?