• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Kelly: Doesn't know if ND can get into Playoff...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC losing hurts us. Damn it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I think running the table, with quality wins against USC and Stanford, assuming they both keep winning, would put ND right in the thick of things for the playoff. This is especially true if USC or Stanford win the PAC.

The biggest thing I think is hurting them now is the lack of a quality win. But, that's not on ND. It's unfortunate that Texas and GT are where they are at the moment.
USC isn't a quality win anymore. Only chance is Stanford now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was just speaking the truth. Going to be hard. And as proven last year even if you go 11-1/12-0 the whole not playing in a conference title game can only hurt us. I'll take 10-2 or 11-1 when you consider all the injuries on offense to starters

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a serious waste of energy worrying about what other teams do or don't do. This team just needs to worry about the things it can control, and that is winning its own games. There's no guarantee USC will come in as flat as they played last night. In fact, its a pretty safe bet they'll bring their best game all year. Drunken Coach Cutty Sark said we suck. Would be a shame if he had to eat those words after the performance he put up this week. The saving grace is, his team is, for all its gold-plated 5* talent, they're soft. They fold after one good punch in the jaw, and that's what Kelly needs to do. They got pushed around both sides of the ball. Kessler took a lot of shots, and after every big hit, they were slow to get up off the ground.

Now the bad news. The albatross on Kelly's tenure is the total inconsistency of his teams. I have yet to see them put two back-to-back dominating performances. I think, based on how we handled Ga. Tech earlier, we are both experienced and more physically able to handle Navy, and should play against them like we did in 2011-12 as opposed to 2013-14. A long grinding game is going to mean we're going to be banged up going into next week. But a big blowout win means we'll come in flat next week and, like Clemson, could find ourselves playing from behind very quickly. But, again, the way they play against Navy and USC are the only things I can worry about, I can't worry what other teams do or fail to do. I think if we get to the bye with one loss, and then not let Temple, Pitt or BC treat our game like the Superbowl, the Stanford game will be bigger and more important, espcially because it seems Stanford is an improving team, and, maybe, just maybe, that Northwestern loss wasn't so bad, because Northwestern is a pretty solid team.

UM Fire

The man, the myth, the legend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That loss really hurts. In the best possible situation for the Irish, before the Pac 12 CCG, there would be a 3 loss USC team against a 2 loss Stanford team. The good news, if this comes to pass, it would essentially eliminate the Pac 12 champion from the playoff picture.

At that point, we'd have a B1G champion, SEC champion, ACC champion and possibly a Big 12 champion/co-champions to worry about. I think Clemson being the ACC champion would be the best for ND, but could be used against them since the two already played.

UM Fire

The man, the myth, the legend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a serious waste of energy worrying about what other teams do or don't do.

That's very true, for the team. For us, as fans, that's what makes CFB so much fun. At least that's my opinion.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does USC suck so bad? Do they still not have any depth?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At this point, the key is knocking out the two conferences we need out from the playoff. This game helps in the PAC-12 getting eliminated. If Ga. Tech beats Clemson, and then FSU loses to Clemson I think we are close to eliminating the ACC. I don't think that there are any super teams this year (which means a lot more upsets on the way), so if we close out the year with a big win against Stanford, I think we will make it in.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, the key is knocking out the two conferences we need out from the playoff. This game helps in the PAC-12 getting eliminated. If Ga. Tech beats Clemson, and then FSU loses to Clemson I think we are close to eliminating the ACC. I don't think that there are any super teams this year (which means a lot more upsets on the way), so if we close out the year with a big win against Stanford, I think we will make it in.
This. And I think it helps that both of USC's losses were to Pac 12 North teams. They still control their own fate in their division, and a loss to us does nothing to change that. They can still manage to come back, and a 3 loss USC team that is crowned Pac 12 champ at the end of the year would have no argument over an 11-1 ND team that beat them.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I've said all Note Dame can do is win the games on their schedule and let things fall where they may. The Big 12 still has a lot of games left with Oklahoma vs Baylor, Oklahoma vs TCU, Baylor vs TCU, plus Oklahoma State still has to play all three as well and West Virginia so still plenty of time for the Big 12 to get some losses as well. Also the SEC could have a champion with 2 or more losses as well you just don't know. I do think the winner of Ohio State and Michigan State will get in but neither has looked great and could drop a game before they play.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we can worry about is the teams that we play. Win the rest and I think it will pan out.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean even if Notre Dame doesn't make it to the playoff this season... they have a lot of returning starters next season with Malik Zaire coming back so next year will be a good year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean even if Notre Dame doesn't make it to the playoff this season... they have a lot of returning starters next season with Malik Zaire coming back so next year will be a good year.

Well you never know who will leave early, I would guess Jarron Jones will be coming back now which will help the D-Line, and depending on how Kizer plays down the stretch Zaire may have to work to get the starting spot.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negative, ghost rider.

I, and many others, have been banking on THIS being The Year of the Irish for too long, now.

Just sux that we've lost the starters we've had go down.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does USC suck so bad? Do they still not have any depth?
I just don't get it. Well, actually I do. We hired a coach who had absolutely zero interest in the defense. I really think you need a head coach who thoroughly understands both sides of the ball, but Sarkisian is not a defensively minded individual. We also lack that swagger and attitude that the Carroll teams had. Our offense is loaded, but at times is has no spark and goes into neutral like they did last night in the 4th quarter. It was an entertaining game, but SC just doesn't have what it takes to play a complete, four quarter game.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. Well, actually I do. We hired a coach who had absolutely zero interest in the defense. I really think you need a head coach who thoroughly understands both sides of the ball, but Sarkisian is not a defensively minded individual. We also lack that swagger and attitude that the Carroll teams had. Our offense is loaded, but at times is has no spark and goes into neutral like they did last night in the 4th quarter. It was an entertaining game, but SC just doesn't have what it takes to play a complete, four quarter game.
Interesting :hmm: ... I know another team with the similar 'feature' here.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think moving up 5 spots is big. ND wins out now it should be a lock especially if stanford wins out and we beat them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe USC can help us next year with a win against Utah.