• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Cashman Says Yankees Captain Role Retired With Jeter

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a break!

If we can have Yankee captains after Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig we can have captains after Jeter. The Yanks have gone completely overboard with the retiring everyone's numbers garbage. Jorge Posada? Seriously? Give them a plaque if you want to, but retiring numbers should be for the team's legendary players, and in my book, from this era, only Jeter and Mariano meet that criterion.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donnie Baseball > Derek Jeter. Just on 'stache alone.

The Yankees' arrogance is limitless. This is comical it's so dumb.

Derek Jeter is not bigger than the Yankees, and certainly not bigger than the game of baseball.

End this madness! :lm:

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll bring it back after ARod retires. They just wanted to avoid another awkward conversation.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I didn't realize there was no Yankee captain between Gehrig and Munson...amazed that anybody wanted the job after Thurman with that loss rate.
Babe was only captain for less than a season, he got into too much trouble for a position of responsibility like that.
Doesn't make sense to say it ends with Jetes if they had any after Gehrig, I'd guess the same as WWJ that it will be back at some point. All the Yanks' veterans now are ineffective, disgraced, injured, or all of the above right now.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an overall SS, Jeter's almost as good as Omar Vizquel. Omar was a much better defender. Jeter never once finished top ten in defensive WAR. Never. Omar for a career was tenth best all-time! But playing for 20 years an "all-time great" is bound to amass some records and Jetes did; strikeouts and grounded into double plays among them. To say he's a horrible fielder with a two-step range isn't putting it strongly enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Cashman asked God to retire so he could replace him with Derek Jeter. :L

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have a player on the roster that deserves to be a team captain anyway, Cano would have been the choice had he stayed there but he is not a leader, he was quiet and let his game do the talking. They need someone to step up and take that role if they want to be successful and Cashman is just on Jeter's nuts as usual with his comments but who could blame him. He is where he is today in large part because of him.

Can someone get Cashman a napkin for his chin? He's covered in Jeter sauce again.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is over the top

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the role of Captain in Hockey, and in a sense, football. Does the role have anything beyond ceremony in baseball? The Giants have not had an official captain since Jack Clark in the early '80s.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Rod is the natural choice to take over.

RazorsEdge

Go Local Sports Team
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,626.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. How much more sunshine are they gonna blow up this guy's ass??

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll bring it back in a few years. He should have just said they don't have any plans to name a new captain in the near future.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the role of Captain in Hockey, and in a sense, football. Does the role have anything beyond ceremony in baseball? The Giants have not had an official captain since Jack Clark in the early '80s.

The captain has to wear a peaked naval hat with scrambled eggs all over it.
He also has to stay in the park until everybody else has evacuated in case it should catch fire, dying in the flames rather than saving himself while even a single fan is in peril.

That's about it.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. How much more sunshine are they gonna blow up this guy's ass??

It'll never end; it'll only get worse with time.

I'm expecting rumors to be "leaked" any moment by the Yankees that Mariano is contemplating a comeback.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Yankee fans, Cashman will be fired when the Yankees miss the playoffs again this year and then you can have a captain eventually.

Seriously though, what if the Yankees 10 years down the road got a guy that winds up hitting 1000 home runs? Would that guy not be allowed to be the captain?

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry Yankee fans, Cashman will be fired when the Yankees miss the playoffs again this year and then you can have a captain eventually.

Seriously though, what if the Yankees 10 years down the road got a guy that winds up hitting 1000 home runs? Would that guy not be allowed to be the captain?

Babe Ruth lasted less than a year as captain...responsibility wasn't really his bag.
He was succeeded by Everett Scott, the very man who held the record for consecutive ML games played before Gehrig.

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have a player on the roster that deserves to be a team captain anyway, Cano would have been the choice had he stayed there but he is not a leader, he was quiet and let his game do the talking. They need someone to step up and take that role if they want to be successful and Cashman is just on Jeter's nuts as usual with his comments but who could blame him. He is where he is today in large part because of him.

Can someone get Cashman a napkin for his chin? He's covered in Jeter sauce again.
agree, i think it surely would have been Robbie but the worry may have been his perceived nonchalance style of play having an adverse effect...at the end of the day, it's about the team..i don't know if they should do away with the captaincy, but they can afford not to have one for the time being...

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should also retire the role of SS on the team.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yankees living in the past continues....still selling jeter jerseys in the airport gift shop :dhd: