• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

breaking the mold

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, Goldobin sure breaks the mold.

1. russian.
2. excellent offensive skills.
3. bad defensively and smaller.

This is pretty much the exact opposite of the previous decade of 1st rounders. Seems like dougie figured that taking a risk this year was worth it with 3 more picks in next 32. He seems to think little of the difference between the high end and middle tier players. I thought they might go with Ho-sang, but then again, they never draft as ranked.

Personally, I don't mind going for a potential home run pick this late in the draft. I also figure that if you are gunna bring up a bunch of guys into pros like tierney, mueller, hertl, nieto and co. then you oughta try to get a bunch of solid earlier round picks rather than shoot for just one. I kinda like dougie moving down. Overall, I would say that I am pleased because at least this year they didnt trade up to get a player they could have in the mid 2nd round ;-)

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i could honestly care a less about the draft im more interested in the roster moves via trade, drafting right now, doesnt reflect on anything of the current team going into next season

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Wilson, BLUFFED!?!?!?!?!?!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I actually think the sharks did reasonably well. The only pick that seems a head scratcher is the Noah rod. He is supposed to have a pretty low ceiling, so I thought the sharks might use all the top picks to go after high risk-high reward type guys. Goldobin is obviousy one. It looks like Bergman is a solid selection. Vanier looks like the highest ceiling pick in terms of getting a stud late in the draft. His size, physicality, and scoring ability are a nice combo. Wonder where he goes if he doesnt get hurt late last year.

Either way, getting 8 guys with 6 in north america will give me lots of guys to follow next year.

I am surprised that they didnt get anyone going the NCAA route. The sharks have had alot of nice success letting guys develop well into their 20s in the NCAA like pavs, wingels, braun, nieto, Coyle, Bonino, etc. No boston boys either. I guess they liked the junior kids. The good news is those guys play alot so you can follow it easier and more often.

Personally, I think dougie did well. I'm also not surprised to see no trades for picks. It was a very quiet day, and I think maybe not the most dynamic draft, so trading real players for so-so picks doesnt make much sense.

Besides, if jumbo and/or patty are moved, it will take alot of time with the NTC clauses to sort it out. I also think they may do better after the UFA market since it is so thin and teams that lose out on the few bigger names like stastny will be all the more desperate. Both patty and jumbo are in essence top line centers, and after stastny and to a lesser extend Brad Richards, the trade market for top line C's includes a suspect, overpriced, rental of spezza and that's it. Legwand and Ribeiro arent the kind of players that a team like the leafs or rangers will want. The market and thus return for Jumbo or Patty is likely much higher in mid july than today. I like dougie's patience.