• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING: Jim Irsay and Peyton Manning to hold press conference

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retiring a Colt, most players do this.

He's not officially retiring as a Colt because he already retired as a Bronco and Denver still holds his rights. He's going back to Indy for a special celebration of his career, that's being hosted by the Colts. Irsay will have rainbows and unicorns coming out of his ass on this one. Just another chapter in the Peyton Manning retirement tour.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're having a baby!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either that or one of Peyton's pizza delivery boys is a hardcore drug dealer who has a "Square" payment device on his cell phone and Jimmy doesn't have to go trolling through the ghetto with a ginormous wad of cash looking for his fix? :noidea:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ur de bess paytun!

jim-irsay-mug-03172014.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not officially retiring as a Colt because he already retired as a Bronco and Denver still holds his rights. He's going back to Indy for a special celebration of his career, that's being hosted by the Colts. Irsay will have rainbows and unicorns coming out of his ass on this one. Just another chapter in the Peyton Manning retirement tour.

Christ can you imagine the party in Foxboro??????

Tom, Bill, Mr Kraft, Mr Kraft's new MILF, the ball boys....the list will be huge!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams allow players to sign one-day contracts with other organizations for this purpose.

For example, in 2012, Pat Burrell was a scout for the Giants. they allowed him to sign a 1-day contract with the Phils so he could have his ceremony to retire with them. It was just a ceremonial contract, but it was still a contract, and he was also still an employee of the Giants.

I have seen this sort of thing happen at other times, I just remember the Burrell situation specifically.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams allow players to sign one-day contracts with other organizations for this purpose.

For example, in 2012, Pat Burrell was a scout for the Giants. they allowed him to sign a 1-day contract with the Phils so he could have his ceremony to retire with them. It was just a ceremonial contract, but it was still a contract, and he was also still an employee of the Giants.

I have seen this sort of thing happen at other times, I just remember the Burrell situation specifically.

Don't see that happening in this instance, since the Broncos still retain his rights. I suppose they could officially relinquish those rights for Peyton to sign a one day contract with the Colts but I doubt it. This is being billed as a ceremony to simply honor Peyton. An opportunity for Irsay to kiss and make up with Peyton. He retired as a Denver Bronco & Super Bowl Champion. That must really irk little Jim Bob Irsay.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not officially retiring as a Colt because he already retired as a Bronco and Denver still holds his rights.

Yes, Denver maybe could prevent it but I don't think they have in the past. Dawkins retired from the Bronco's with a year left on his deal and signed a 1 day with Philly a week later to retire as an Eagle.

Sometimes players wait a year, but that is usually the ones still trying to come back.

Most of the time it happens at this point in the first off-season after their official retirement at the end of the previous year as the contract actually does take a roster spot for that day.

So if a player is a camp cut or retires in camp (or is still trying to catch on before the season) they sign the one day most of the time the following year in the off-season so the team doesn't have to make a cut to give them that contract (and that player may still be trying the market). Jerry Rice was like that. Ended in camp, waited till the following off-season to retire a 49er as the 49ers already had their camp roster set.

But those that retire at the end of the season usually get this done before the start of the following season. Saturday retired at the end of the 2012 season under contract for 1 more year (in Jan 2013), signed his 1 day at the start of the new league year. Larry Allen retired at the end of the 07 season with a year left and signed with Dallas for his 1 day at the start of the 08 year. Tim Brown the same..

I can't think of a time when a team didn't allow this to happen. Or when a player tried to use the 1 day contract to skirt his retirement and force a team to lose his rights then return. I don't see a player doing this and ruining it for everyone else from there on out.

Last edited: