• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brats...

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you cook'em?

Boil them?
Grill?
Boil then grill?
Boil in beer, with onions. Then grill and fry the onions?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never really known anyone in the south who cooked them and never done so myself.

Wonder if it's just me.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer them grilled but cooked in beer is good, too.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At my last apartment, we weren't allowed to have grills, so I'd have to get creative with my brats. I would boil them for 10-12 min and then put them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven set to broil for 3-4 min per side. They actually were pretty good for not being able to grill them.

TheRedPlectrum

and you are?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grill mine, then again, I grill most of my meals because then there are no dishes...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always boil then grill......... If you are skipping the boil, then you are either as famished as a grizzly bear or you are lazier than an obese person using the electric cart at Walmart.

Boiling the brats replaces the grease inside/outside the brat. This does 3 things... Removes grease/fat that burns on the grill (chars easily if you don't), decreases its likelihood of the skin breaking & losing deliciousness, and finally it injects more flavor.

I boil brats with a couple of onions and roughly a 50-50 beer/water mixture. Also add in spices if you want, but not necessary. Most prepackaged brats already come with the good stuff packed in there. After boiling for 5-10mins I throw them on the grill for 2 mins per side. Absolutely delicious.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
My wife found a good recipe for gameday.
Cook the brats in a crockpot with onions, yellow, orange and red peppers, can of beer (add water if needed to cover brats totally), bbq sauce and a couple bay leaves for about 5 hours.
Grill to brown and load them up with the veggies and juice from crockpot.

You can also use honey mustard rather than bbq sauce. Both ways are good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife found a good recipe for gameday.
Cook the brats in a crockpot with onions, yellow, orange and red peppers, can of beer (add water if needed to cover brats totally), bbq sauce and a couple bay leaves for about 5 hours.
Grill to brown and load them up with the veggies and juice from crockpot.

You can also use honey mustard rather than bbq sauce. Both ways are good.
Might have to try this... What kind of beer do you use? I assume a light beer that doesn't overpower. Also, for how long do you let them cook? 3-4 hours?

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always boil then grill......... If you are skipping the boil, then you are either as famished as a grizzly bear or you are lazier than an obese person using the electric cart at Walmart.

Boiling the brats replaces the grease inside/outside the brat. This does 3 things... Removes grease/fat that burns on the grill (chars easily if you don't), decreases its likelihood of the skin breaking & losing deliciousness, and finally it injects more flavor.

I boil brats with a couple of onions and roughly a 50-50 beer/water mixture. Also add in spices if you want, but not necessary. Most prepackaged brats already come with the good stuff packed in there. After boiling for 5-10mins I throw them on the grill for 2 mins per side. Absolutely delicious.
That makes good sense, will definitely do this next time.:thumb:

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some this weekend. Brooklyn Bangers. Pretty good, although I generally do not enjoy anything from New York.
Boiled in beer, Blue Moon I think, no onions, about 20 minute slow boil. Then grilled over mesquite charcoal (all they had) 5 minutes each side.

Mmm Mmmm. Good and good for you. BBQ sauce and Mustard.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much work. And way too similar to sous vide. I just throw em on the grill and burn em up good. Get it too hot though and the skin splits and loses all the juices. Don't get 8t hot enough and an even worse disaster happens. It doesn't taste as good if it's not a little blackened. Not charred and charcoaly tasting, just a nice mallard reaction.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like to boil them in beer with onions and red bell peppers. I usually add a clove of garlic and some red pepper flakes in there too. I'll put in enough onions and peppers to have some left over to put in eggs or something too.