• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandon Graham, Justin Houston

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Graham hits the cap for 6 million in 2015 and 5 million in 2016. Then for 7.5 million the next two years, but he is cut-able for dead money of only 2 million and 1 million, respectively. A 26 million dollar deal over 4 years. Drafted in 2010 and listed at 6'2, 265, 27 years old.

Justin Houston's deal is 32.5 million guaranteed, and effectively 52.5 million over the first 2 years (including whatever roster bonuses he gets in march which is technically the beginning of the 3rd year). A 101 million dollar deal over 6 years. Drafted in 2011 and listed at 6'3, 258, 26 years old.

We'll have a few more details on Houston's deal over the next few weeks, but Graham's deal looks to be in line with the market.

Three main points:
1. Houston only dropped in the draft because he tested positive for a plant at the combine.

Houston said he always wanted to stay in Kansas City.

"To me it was very important," he said. "I like Coach [Andy] Reid a lot. He's a great coach. He's helped motivate me and pushed me to become a better player. Anytime you get around that kind of coach, you love playing for him."

3. We needed a new thread in here.

Last edited:

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little shocked that Houston's deal is much better then Dez Bryant's. Really?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little shocked that Houston's deal is much better then Dez Bryant's. Really?

Pass rusher vs wide receiver. Harder to get production out of the pass rushers than wide receivers.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston seems like he is worth it. So is Graham. From a risk vice reward perspective, I like Graham's deal as I think he can be very productive. From the same perspective the Houston deal is scary as there is no real upside to the deal from the team perspective. He will not outperform that contract.

His comments on Reid are typical from a player just handed financial security for several generations. Can't imagine where there is very many people he doesn't love right now.

Dez Bryant and DiMarius Thomas signed very similar deals. Bryant makes 1.5M more in the first three years, but only gets half of his guarantee today and the other half next year. Thomas gets almost all his guarantee immediately. This should guarantee at least one more year of good behaviour out of Bryant...which given that the dude is a punk is probably a very good idea on the part of the Cowboys... the only better idea would have been to DJAX his a$$ out of town.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have that "punk" on the Eagles. He is a more "team guy" than DJAX ever would be. He is a hyper guy, but has great desire. I know you will agree.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham better have a hell of a lot more productivity and consistency before any comparison to Houston is in order. Houston set records as a sacking LB. Graham never even consistently started.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have that "punk" on the Eagles. He is a more "team guy" than DJAX ever would be. He is a hyper guy, but has great desire. I know you will agree.

Police release report involving Dez Bryant's girlfriend

Report: Cowboys hesitant about Dez Bryant contract due to off-field issues - CBSSports.com

Dez Bryants background was worst I had ever seen, an ex-scout says | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Dez Bryant's horrific 'Ray Rice-style' video set to be released today, career in jeopardy [Report] | Sun Times National

NFL Media releases 2011 Wal-Mart incident report involving Dez Bryant | ProFootballTalk

Where there is smoke there is fire. This is a bad guy off the field and its really only a matter of time before it catches up with him. Its a questionable situation to guarantee $45M to a guy like this regardless of how good a player he is.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? He has been growing up a lot. He's good.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? He has been growing up a lot. He's good.

lol . A 26 year old with some growing up to do. Of course he is good and anyone would want that talent and production on your team. My comments are on the business risk. They are investing $45M guaranteed in a guy that has much more potential than the average player to be arrested next week. They thoroughly know this which is why they have a full time security team assigned just to watch out for the guy.

If the Eagles are team injury, the Cowboys are team criminal.

Randle..... Frisco police: Cowboys Joseph Randle arrested Monday, charged with theft | | Dallas Morning News

Bryant.... Dez Bryant of Dallas Cowboys allegedly assaulted mom, police say

Greg Hardy.... What the Dallas Cowboys' Signing of a Man Found Guilty of Assault Says About the NFL

Spillman... Police investigate Dallas Cowboys player in alleged sexual assault - NY Daily News

McClain.... Cowboys LB Rolando McClain suspended 4 games: 3 things to know - CBSSports.com

Collins...On La'el Collins, the Dallas Cowboys, and 'character flaws' - SBNation.com

Gregory.... Charles Haley: Cowboys got a steal with Randy Gregory - NFL.com

Josh Brent.... Josh Brent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not going all moral on this. Criminal records have made these guys available at a bargain price, and that can make for good business. Its a whole other deal though to throw $45M guaranteed at one of these guys. That could very well be bad business.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys unfortunately are poised to make a strong Super Bowl run this season.

You can hate on them, but right now their roster looks far better than ours.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys unfortunately are poised to make a strong Super Bowl run this season.

You can hate on them, but right now their roster looks far better than ours.

That is the prevailing sentiment, which is essentially a lazy analysis based on two things. (1) The Cowboys were better last year, and (2) The Cowboys roster is more stable from last year.

Most emblematic of that analysis is the QB comparison. Everyone feels comfortable projecting Romo to continue to do what he has always done. He has a nine year history of 90+ QB rating and staying on the field. And last year was arguably his best yet.

Meanwhile, the Eagles have a QB who hasn't played much in two years, and hasn't played particularly well when he has.

It really comes down to Team Injury versus Team Criminal. Whichever team puts their players on the field every week will be the better team. Dallas is having some success with that now as Bryant has agreed to play and Hardy's suspension has been reduced to two games. McClain is still on track for 4 games.

But Team Injury is showing positive signs as well. All the Eagles players are currently projected to be available week one and the Eagles have had the most success keeping players healthy of any team in the league over the last two years.

While I have doubts that the Eagles players will suddenly start getting arrested, I do think the injury bug could just as easily hit the Cowboys. So they are at risk for both suspension and injury. Is a 35 year old Romo more likely to play 16 games than a 27 year old Bradford? History would say yes, Age would say no.

If the Eagles start the season 2-0, the analysts will flip flop in a heart beat. They are just predicting based on what they see.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham better have a hell of a lot more productivity and consistency before any comparison to Houston is in order. Houston set records as a sacking LB. Graham never even consistently started.

Yet apparently in many of the more advanced metrics - which try to compensate for differences in playing time, for instance - Graham has been among the best at his position (rushing the passer, as well as in the run game). If Graham manages to perform along those lines, or only has a limited drop-off as a full-time starter, the Eagles possibly/probably have the best set of OLB's (in Barwin and Graham) in the league - and based on what is stationed in the middle (and assuming they return healthy and to pre-injury form where relevant) as a result the best set of LB's, best D-line and best front seven by a HUGE margin within the league.

I came across an article today that suggested that with a little luck, within a season or two Chip Kelly might not be known for fielding the league's best offense, but fielding the league's best defense. For one - not sure if it was posted here already by someone else: of the top 6 DB's over the past two seasons as far as getting their hands on the football (INT's as well as break-up's) in College Football, the Eagles drafted three this year (the nrs. 1, 4 and 6).

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet apparently in many of the more advanced metrics - which try to compensate for differences in playing time, for instance - Graham has been among the best at his position (rushing the passer, as well as in the run game). If Graham manages to perform along those lines, or only has a limited drop-off as a full-time starter, the Eagles possibly/probably have the best set of OLB's (in Barwin and Graham) in the league - and based on what is stationed in the middle (and assuming they return healthy and to pre-injury form where relevant) as a result the best set of LB's, best D-line and best front seven by a HUGE margin within the league.

I came across an article today that suggested that with a little luck, within a season or two Chip Kelly might not be known for fielding the league's best offense, but fielding the league's best defense. For one - not sure if it was posted here already by someone else: of the top 6 DB's over the past two seasons as far as getting their hands on the football (INT's as well as break-up's) in College Football, the Eagles drafted three this year (the nrs. 1, 4 and 6).

I am really, really curious to see how this makeover pans out. There is a chance that Kelly just killed it this year as a talent evaluator.

I do find the Graham thing to be a little curious though. If he is really that good, why wasn't he playing more snaps than Cole? Especially near the end of the year, you would think they would show him some love in the interest of getting him to return?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that he is good now, compared to what he used to be. Has he gotten into trouble the last couple of years?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly a bunch of sensational BS. Dez is a stud and the results speak for themselves.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that he is good now, compared to what he used to be. Has he gotten into trouble the last couple of years?

You make a fair point. Although many of the stories are 2014 and 2015, they all seem to be referencing incidents in 2013 or earlier. He does seem like he has been fairly clean for the last couple of years.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably one of the few interested in the nuances of these contracts. Here is how Bryant and Thomas compare.

Bryant..

If injured gets $45M guaranteed.
$32M fully guaranteed in first two years.
Third year is $13M. decision early in the year
Year to year after that.

Thomas.

If injured gets $43.5M guaranteed
$35M fully guaranteed in first three years
Third year is $8.5M. Decision early in the year.
Year to year after that, but year 4 forces a decision early in the year as well.

What the NFL does right is pay for performance. These guys essentially only get a two year guarantee of employment, although with the way Thomas's contract is structured, he is much more likely to see year 3.

Both these contracts are designed to be somewhat team friendly for the full five year duration.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typo. Thomas is $35M for first two years fully guaranteed. Overall, I favor Thomas's contract a little better (from the player's perspective).

- $3M more in first two years.
- More likely to see year 3
- Forces decision early in NFL year in Year 4.

Really though, it is somewhat nuanced (as you would expect matching 5 year, 70 M deals to be). In all probability, both players will play out these contracts and earn the same amount. And in years 4 and 5, they will likely be viewed as somewhat underpaid.