• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brady Hoke better start wearing a headset

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and attempt to do his job, otherwise he'll be out of Ann Arbor.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
curious what the Meatchicken fans think about him

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought I heard his seat was warm before this game, I bet the temperature just rose.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did wear the headset for a time late in the first half.

Maybe he was ordering wings for halftime.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my take on it:

he is a strong academic orientated, team over individual type of coach. he is a big proponent of traditional big 10/michigan style thinking where he preaches winning the b10 conference/rose bowl, a pro style offense & recruiting out of the midwest. he does a great job of feeding into the OSU rivalry and the "ohio" talk.

while this stuff may seem non important to SEC fans for michigan fans rich rod doing the complete opposite of all the above is what really did rich rod in as that alienated the fanbase as much as winning just 3 games a year.

hoke is a class act is great with the fans, participates in the ann arbor community and I personally like the whole Navy SEALs thing hes been doing. in terms of being a "lovable loser" hoke is as good as it gets and his style is appealing to michigan fans and will buy him a lot more time and a lot more patience than his predecessor.

but as for his actual coaching. he is clearly no meyer, saban or miles. he performs his best when he has rich rod players but as more of "his" recruits join the team the performance has declined. I am curious to see what he can do with peppers & morris on the team and if i was the AD id give him at least 2 more years.

however the problem is not with hoke the problem is michigan. if hoke has a great 5 year run ==> good for him. however what is best for the program as a whole is for michigan to modernize and embrace the new college football landscape like ohio state has. there are two brady hoke mentalities that I love because they are so traditional for the b10 but hate because they are not good mentalities to have.

1. he stated something along the lines of "even though we won a BCS bowl the season is not a success because we didnt win the b10 championship"

-are you kidding me? I can guarantee you that every SEC team from kentucky to alabama thinks the complete opposite of that. in fact some SEC teams have a standard of excellence that says not even a BCS bowl but a national championship game is how they measure a seasons success. how else do you explain florida's "i dont give a damn about this game" attitude when they were #3 and in the sugar bowl?

2. he stated something along the lines of "we will always focus our recruiting efforts primarily in the midwest"

-um hoke ==> in case you havent noticed the south & west are rapidly gaining electoral votes while the midwest is losing them. its not so much the population shift that is killing the midwest recruiting pipeline but that those losses have been mostly in the blue collar sector where football is the most popular. Minnesota, Iowa, & Nebraska combine to produce less d1 signee's than all but 4 b12/SEC/Pac/ACC states . throw in michigan, ohio, indiana, illinois, & wisconsin and you are still talking about a recruiting pool thats 2/3 the size of what alabama, georgia, & florida produce. are you kidding me? that looks nothing like a recipe for success. michigan has just 6 players from outside the midwest in their 2013 class. ND, OSU, & PSU combine for 45!!!!!!

because those 3 schools have managed to figure out what michigan hasnt ==> that midwest high school football can no longer prop up big 10 football and that schools better start looking elsewhere for talent. delany is trying to throw the b10 schools a lifeline when he added the states of NJ & MD which gave the b10 footprint a 20% increase in its recruiting output and yet hoke is to stupid to take it. the b10 states (including MD & NJ) had 534 signee's last year according to rivals. nearly 1/3 of them came from the non midwestern states of NJ, MD & PA. sorry hoke but a program that is a yearly championship contender that recruits entirely within the midwest is not gonna happen.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how class he is considering he has a player lie about why he grabbed a guys face masked and twisted his helmet. Gave that player no penalty. Same player gets in a street fight, beats the crap out of two people, laughs about it, and still gets no penalty. He is a win first coach and gives no care at all about growing these guys as people and having them realize that there are consequences for their actions.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD, Dave Brandon, has his back and the entire coaching staff will be back next year, per Brady Hoke. It's open season if year 4 is a failure.

The Nuts, Sparty or Wisky will take the B1G next year. :yahoo:

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Face it UM fans (and fans of Indian, Ill, etc) In a few years, Michigan will be considered a ''walk-over'' game for the Big Schools like Alabama, USC, Stanford, Florida. They will start scheduling UM early in the season to get that easy win. It is past time for OSU to leave the B1G. They will never get respect playing in that weak conference. Perhaps the bottom feeders in the B1G can merge with the MAC.

(Will the B1G win a bowl game this season?)

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will never understand is how some of these schools (usually blue bloods) go with that whole

"Well he is a Michigan man" or "We need a Michigan man" ----------> total garbage imo.

What the hell does that have to do with anything if you are serious about winning your conference and even more?

* Not trying to pick on you UM fans. Just used as an example and it was appropriate to OPs thread.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Hoke one more year. If they don't win 9 games with that schedule next year though, he should be gone. It has progressively gotten worse at Michigan under Hoke.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will never understand is how some of these schools (usually blue bloods) go with that whole

"Well he is a Michigan man" or "We need a Michigan man" ----------> total garbage imo.

What the hell does that have to do with anything if you are serious about winning your conference and even more?

* Not trying to pick on you UM fans. Just used as an example and it was appropriate to OPs thread.

No offense Mamba, but Oregon is not steeped in tradition. Without Knight's money they would likely still be a PAC bottom dweller, I can see how you don't understand.

I will give you an example as I know it.

Nebraska's defense is known as the Blackshirts. The 'tradition' stems from the early 60's when the equipment manager was sent to a local sporting goods store to buy jerseys for just the starting players. The coaching staff just wanted the starters to wear a different color in practice to monitor them easier. The only color the store had enough of at the time were black. If you weren't a clear starter you didn't wear one so there were only 11 or 12 at the most. Wearing a black shirt in practice became a source of pride and a motivational factor. Nobody's black practice jersey was safe from being taken by a back-up. The black shirts were placed in lockers daily just prior to practice. A player who went to his locker to get suited up and found a black shirt was elated and worked hard to keep it. Back-ups worked harder to try and take it. If there was a position without a clear starter, there was no black shirt for that position in practice, so sometimes there may have only been 9 players wearing black shirts during practice. They were not intended to become a motivational tool, but they became one.

In the Callahan/Cosgrove era, (not Nebraska men) Cosgrove passed them out in practice like candy. Just about anyone on the two/three deep got one (You're on defense, here's your Blackshirt). It got diluted to the point where they were meaningless and no longer a motivational tool. Nebraska's defense was horrid.

Enter Bo Pelino (also not a Nebraska man). Bo looks at the defense as "a unit". Either every starter gets a black shirt or not a single one does. Suh, David, Amukamara etc..did not get their black shirts until over halfway into the season because the defense (as a whole) was not playing up to Pelino's standards. His handling/methodology of the Blackshirts has been a source of contention with the media and fans for years now. Nebraska's defense has been horrid.

Neither of these guys are "Nebraska men" and they don't understand the traditions associated with the program.

All blue-bloods have their own little nuances that the next coach in line needs to embrace.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense Mamba, but Oregon is not steeped in tradition. Without Knight's money they would likely still be a PAC bottom dweller, I can see how you don't understand.

I will give you an example as I know it.

Nebraska's defense is known as the Blackshirts. The 'tradition' stems from the early 60's when the equipment manager was sent to a local sporting goods store to buy jerseys for just the starting players. The coaching staff just wanted the starters to wear a different color in practice to monitor them easier. The only color the store had enough of at the time were black. If you weren't a clear starter you didn't wear one so there were only 11 or 12 at the most. Wearing a black shirt in practice became a source of pride and a motivational factor. Nobody's black practice jersey was safe from being taken by a back-up. The black shirts were placed in lockers daily just prior to practice. A player who went to his locker to get suited up and found a black shirt was elated and worked hard to keep it. Back-ups worked harder to try and take it. If there was a position without a clear starter, there was no black shirt for that position in practice, so sometimes there may have only been 9 players wearing black shirts during practice. They were not intended to become a motivational tool, but they became one.

In the Callahan/Cosgrove era, (not Nebraska men) Cosgrove passed them out in practice like candy. Just about anyone on the two/three deep got one (You're on defense, here's your Blackshirt). It got diluted to the point where they were meaningless and no longer a motivational tool. Nebraska's defense was horrid.

Enter Bo Pelino (also not a Nebraska man). Bo looks at the defense as "a unit". Either every starter gets a black shirt or not a single one does. Suh, David, Amukamara etc..did not get their black shirts until over halfway into the season because the defense (as a whole) was not playing up to Pelino's standards. His handling/methodology of the Blackshirts has been a source of contention with the media and fans for years now. Nebraska's defense has been horrid.

Neither of these guys are "Nebraska men" and they don't understand the traditions associated with the program.

All blue-bloods have their own little nuances that the next coach in line needs to embrace.
You are right one thing the "black shirt" tradition did not do was pigeon hole the team into who they hire. Michigan went with this "Michigan Man" and they may have screwed themselves. They hired a "Michigan Man" who has had a team sanctioned by the NCAA, is an average coach and has show a lack of punishment for his players. That is not a good combination but they got a "Michigan Man".

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win games, stop sucking. That's what I think. There's clearly a huge problem on the offensive side of the ball and I'm not sure what happened to the defense.