• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bracketology - End Of January Edition

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall it off the top of my head, but the committee has a much tougher job with the expansion of these conferences. It was easier for them to avoid it when there were 12 teams or less in every major conference. Now with conferences having 14 and even 15 teams in them its hard to avoid this. Either way given my seed projections at this point UVA could potentially be playing an ACC school in the E8 no matter what. Whether that would be ND as the #2, Louisville as the #3 or UNC as the #3.

Yea, I missed that L'ville was in your midwest. :doh:

I think what they would do is move UNC to UVA's region and move Notre Dame to the South.

The old BE had 5 out of the Top 12 teams on the S-curve in 2009 and here's how they handled it.

2009 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right tho. It might get dicey.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing, loads of interesting matchups there for sure.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seeding really isn't all that important imo. nd would have a cakewalk in their first 2 games compared to duke's if these were the final brackets. look at Wichita st last yr. they got the most talented team in the country in the rd of 32 last yr as a 1 seed

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I missed that L'ville was in your midwest. :doh:

I think what they would do is move UNC to UVA's region and move Notre Dame to the South.

The old BE had 5 out of the Top 12 teams on the S-curve in 2009 and here's how they handled it.

2009 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right tho. It might get dicey.

Yeah I remember 09 very well. Big East was loaded that year. They couldn't avoid the E8 rematch though between Pitt and Nova. Either way there is the possibility of an E8 rematch for UVA whether its against a #2 seed or against a #3 seed(like the 09 Big East)

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the ACC is going to make it interesting this year, not just because of the number of teams but because of the close grouping.

In years past it seemed like the committee really made an effort to avoid repeating regular season matchups, be it a conference team or not. I don't remember specific examples, but I do remember thinking on several occasions that it looked like they moved a particular team down a spot (usually to a better location) or up a spot (usually to a worse location) to avoid a regular season repeat.

I remember they had a particularly tough time a few years ago when the Big East got 17 of their 28 teams in. (only a slight exaggeration) I seem to recall Marquette playing a particularly early game against another Big East team in either the round of 32 or Sweet 16. Syracuse maybe? now I might have to go and look it up.

Yeah same year UConn played Cincy in a round of 32 matchup. Think the big East sent 11 that year. Rather insane.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah same year UConn played Cincy in a round of 32 matchup. Think the big East sent 11 that year. Rather insane.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about that one too. I think the Marquette/Cuse game stuck in my mind because it was a pretty big upset. (sorry jonvi)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the ACC is going to make it interesting this year, not just because of the number of teams but because of the close grouping.

In years past it seemed like the committee really made an effort to avoid repeating regular season matchups, be it a conference team or not. I don't remember specific examples, but I do remember thinking on several occasions that it looked like they moved a particular team down a spot (usually to a better location) or up a spot (usually to a worse location) to avoid a regular season repeat.

I remember they had a particularly tough time a few years ago when the Big East got 17 of their 28 teams in. (only a slight exaggeration) I seem to recall Marquette playing a particularly early game against another Big East team in either the round of 32 or Sweet 16. Syracuse maybe? now I might have to go and look it up.

Yup the year the BE got 11 into the tourney Marquette/Cuse had to play and UConn/Cincy(I believe it was these 2).

Ironically that year the only 2 sweet 16 teams were Marquette and UConn who got there playing a BE team. NOt a good showing for the conference :L

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that's right. I forgot about that one too. I think the Marquette/Cuse game stuck in my mind because it was a pretty big upset. (sorry jonvi)

Booooooooooooooooooo

We beat them earlier that year too!!!

But yeah it was an upset lol

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule. No talking 09 around me.

The Big East had 4 1 seeds and arguably the best one was a 6 seed do to Dom James breaking his foot.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck