• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bracket Morality and social media

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article somewhat focuses on Ohio St and FSU, but of course this is not really about Ohio St or FSU, these things happen with all fan bases. I am sure Alabama and many other popular teams rank right up there with the nastiest.

Anyway, it's a pretty good read. It talks about how fans try to harass reporters and such who report negative stories about teams. Death threats and the like.

It also talks about the double standard you find in fans and their standards and how social media has magnified it. That is something we can see here at the hoop in just about any thread and pretty much everyone is guilty of it.

How #FSUTwitter and other rabid fan bases become so vicious | FOX Sports

I wonder how much ESPN people got harassed last year for being high on the SEC. I bet it was pretty harsh.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen the 30 for 30 on the Sandusky scandal? The Penn State fans went nuts over Joe Paterno being a ********* enabler.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2011 football season didn't happen

Except the Win over Wisconsin that happened everything else tatgate fallout related did not happen.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this the other day. FSUTwitter is cray cray.

JV35

El Chapo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much ado about nothing.

The internet has been full of assholes and trolls since it's origins.

The rise of social media has just given these loons a higher profile.

Although, only the most pathetic losers would give their opinions any credence.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much ado about nothing.

The internet has been full of assholes and trolls since it's origins.

The rise of social media has just given these loons a higher profile.

Although, only the most pathetic losers would give their opinions any credence.

The article is about fans of teams who take things so far they harass reporters and other people who are involved in it, sometimes to the point of graphic r*pe and threats.

It has nothing to do with their specific opinions, it's about their specific actions. The only thing it's mentioning about opinions is in regards to double standards as part of what amplifies things.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article is about fans of teams who take things so far they harass reporters and other people who are involved in it, sometimes to the point of graphic r*pe and threats.
I'm interested in the book (I may even read it.) But it sounds to me like an expose of mob mentality, but in the relatively new-ish venue of the interwebs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fan base's are exceptionally rabid/irrational, and the cyber world is just a new channel for them to make their voice's heard.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true it's "just the internet" in some ways, however what many people don't realize is that it goes beyond the internet often times. The people on the internet are still real people, and things can and do get taken beyond the internet.

And often times that is scary. As was the case with the FSU girl having her information out there and getting harassed. It's especially true with higher profile public people like reporters and stuff. Death threats even over the internet are serious business. Sure the odds are it's bullshit, but you never know.

I've had to deal with such a person before. They actually went as far as calling my work impersonating and detective trying to get my home address etc. Luckily for me my work didn't fall for it, but I got way private on the internet way fast. And this was just some nut who was pissed I wouldn't make them a moderator for a piece of crap game I made when learning how to program.

I know Hammer has had to deal with lots of them. Shit ain't fun even if it's somewhat funny/entertaining to see how bat shit crazy some people are.