• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bored as hell

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like another long season for the Eagles, Sixers will be lucky to win 30 games, and baseball doesn't start for another 5 months. I guess I will be reading a lot of comic books and watching a lot of movies to pass the time this winter.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like another long season for the Eagles, Sixers will be lucky to win 30 games, and baseball doesn't start for another 5 months. I guess I will be reading a lot of comic books and watching a lot of movies to pass the time this winter.

Like I said, next year will be exciting. It's really safe to say that.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is next year going to be exciting?

A healthy roster to start the year and the return of Howard and Revere. Likely improvements in hitting from both Ashe and Ruf. Possible callups of Franco and Biddle. Bullpen turnaround with help of the baseball gods.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A healthy roster to start the year and the return of Howard and Revere. Likely improvements in hitting from both Ashe and Ruf. Possible callups of Franco and Biddle. Bullpen turnaround with help of the baseball gods.
I have to disagree with you - I just don't see it - they need to prove it to me before I can bank on it

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with you - I just don't see it - they need to prove it to me before I can bank on it

Here's how I see it. When the Phils lost 70 hits and 80 runs from 2012 to 2013, and they lost 27 one-run games, it was due in part to their three best hitters, Revere, Howard, and Ruiz each missing 2 - 3 months. It's a no brainer for me that with them back next year, the Phillies are at worst a .500 team, 81-81. That's 8 more wins than 2013. Can they win 9 more games to go 90-72 ? Yeah, but they would not only have to stay mostly healthy, Asche and Ruf have to improve, and the pitching must recover. So it's possible. Vegas odds might be 100-1 that they make the playoffs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I see it. When the Phils lost 70 hits and 80 runs from 2012 to 2013, and they lost 27 one-run games, it was due in part to their three best hitters, Revere, Howard, and Ruiz each missing 2 - 3 months. It's a no brainer for me that with them back next year, the Phillies are at worst a .500 team, 81-81. That's 8 more wins than 2013. Can they win 9 more games to go 90-72 ? Yeah, but they would not only have to stay mostly healthy, Asche and Ruf have to improve, and the pitching must recover. So it's possible. Vegas odds might be 100-1 that they make the playoffs.
None of that matters - they're not a playoff team regardless - they weren't a playoff team before those guys got hurt and they certainly weren't after

Let's face it - they need star talent, not what they have right now - and they need butts in the seats in CBP - the guys they have now don't cut it - I'm not coming to CBP to watch Cody Asche and Darin Ruf - they need to get guys that can be star players and make this team a team that people are going to watch every night

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
attachment.php

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that matters - they're not a playoff team regardless - they weren't a playoff team before those guys got hurt and they certainly weren't after

Let's face it - they need star talent, not what they have right now - and they need butts in the seats in CBP - the guys they have now don't cut it - I'm not coming to CBP to watch Cody Asche and Darin Ruf - they need to get guys that can be star players and make this team a team that people are going to watch every night

Both Asche and Ruf were below the mendoza line with risp and runners on. They'll have to step it up but it's still too early to toss'em out.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it all depends on who they sign and how sandberg is willing to handle things. saying they have no chance at the playoffs and things along those lines are a bit harsh. we still have hamels and lee at the top. gonzalez, who knows what he can do.

as much as i despise howard on this team, he did bat .302 with close to a .900 ops against righties last year, still somewhat hurt. is sandberg willing to pull him and/or sit him against lefties once he starts struggling against them? (basically, after the first week or two is played.)

if franco continues to hit and has a good ST, who knows what happens there? biddle, who knows?

will amaro go after choo? the outfield would look pretty damn good with ruf, revere, hernandez, brown and choo. at 31 years old, i'd love to see amaro overpay him for a 3-4 year deal. no further than that.

how bout some bullpen pieces? can aumont finally do something?

this is baseball for you. plenty of questions. as long as you have enough talent, which the phils do, all it takes is some luck on your side to excel.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it all depends on who they sign and how sandberg is willing to handle things. saying they have no chance at the playoffs and things along those lines are a bit harsh. we still have hamels and lee at the top. gonzalez, who knows what he can do.

as much as i despise howard on this team, he did bat .302 with close to a .900 ops against righties last year, still somewhat hurt. is sandberg willing to pull him and/or sit him against lefties once he starts struggling against them? (basically, after the first week or two is played.)

if franco continues to hit and has a good ST, who knows what happens there? biddle, who knows?

will amaro go after choo? the outfield would look pretty damn good with ruf, revere, hernandez, brown and choo. at 31 years old, i'd love to see amaro overpay him for a 3-4 year deal. no further than that.

this is baseball for you. plenty of questions. as long as you have enough talent, which the phils do, all it takes is some luck on your side to excel.
Phillies won 73 games this season - they have to do a lot to be better next season - they're not winning anything with this current group

The Red Sox made significant moves last offseason to go from 69 wins to where they're at now - they got a competent manager, along with guys like Shane Victorino, Mike Napoli, Jonny Gomes, Stephen Drew, Ryan Dempster and Koji Uehara

Phillies would have to do something like that to get better - they can't make two or three additions(unless they are great players) and be better - they have to get a bunch of guys to improve this team

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Phillies To Sign New TV Deal within the Next Month - The Good Phight

The comment in this article is great - it outlines the guys the Phillies could get with the new TV deal - I would love those moves - and it would make the Phillies significantly better

Even if RAJ is the GM, it is better to have TONS of money than to be where they are at right now - it worked for the Dodgers, they spent a ton of money on guys and I'm sure some had doubts and they were two wins from the WS this season - and they're already getting better by signing Alexander Guerrero

If the Phillies can go the Dodgers route, this team will be significantly better next year - money can buy instant success if they can get the likes of Tanaka, Ellsbury and a couple of trades that can make this team better right now

This is the only way I'll feel good about the Phillies going forward - if they even attempt to try and win with this current core roster it will be an abstract failure of epic proportions - just face it, the team they have now will not win anything - they have to make massive moves to get better

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The comment in this article is great - it outlines the guys the Phillies could get with the new TV deal - I would love those moves - and it would make the Phillies significantly better

Even if RAJ is the GM, it is better to have TONS of money than to be where they are at right now - it worked for the Dodgers, they spent a ton of money on guys and I'm sure some had doubts and they were two wins from the WS this season - and they're already getting better by signing Alexander Guerrero

If the Phillies can go the Dodgers route, this team will be significantly better next year - money can buy instant success if they can get the likes of Tanaka, Ellsbury and a couple of trades that can make this team better right now

This is the only way I'll feel good about the Phillies going forward - if they even attempt to try and win with this current core roster it will be an abstract failure of epic proportions - just face it, the team they have now will not win anything - they have to make massive moves to get better

Let's buy Masahiro Tanaka, 7 years, Japan league, 99-35, 2013: 24-0, 1,238K 235 BB!!!! A replacement for Roy.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three years at the absolute most is what we should give, even though this would be an offer he would probably scoff at.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting article. I agree that having more money gives you a little more room to mistakes with contracts, but that only works if you are willing to admit you made a mistake. Like if Howard, Rollins or Utley is ridiculously underperforming and Franco or someone looks like they are clearly better at this point the GM has to actually be willing to do something drastic, like release a guy who is owed millions of dollars and let him get picked up for the major league minimum by some other team.