• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boise OC Mike Sanford Headed to Notre Dame

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it was just a matter of time. After one season at Boise, his first ever as an OC, Mike Sanford is headed to Notre Dame to join Coach Kelly's staff as their new OC.

As a fan of a smaller school with a smaller budget I get so worn out on this yearly poaching our coaching staff bullshit. Every fucking year this happens. It's a vicious cycle and it's so tiresome, but it's also just the way it goes. I'm sure they tripled or quadrupled his salary and it's a big time opportunity. You can't fault the guy for taking the money and furthering his career.

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, we'll deal with it, but it always stinks to lose the money game to another team looking for the next big thing. We lost Harsin to Texas the same way and eventually got him back :).

Good luck Sanford. (I wonder how happy his wife will be to leave Boise again after being so excited to get back...:whistle:)

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have anything to do with being a small school. It's just the way college football works.

Alabama loses assistant coaches every year and so does every other school. Sometimes they are pushed out/fired, sometimes they leave for better opportunities.

Saban in general encourages these things for the staff to take better opportunities. Lots of focus is put on the player development and advancement of the players, but it also happens with coaches. They grow over time and develop into better coaches and that leads to more opportunity.

The only difference between Alabama and Boise St in this matter is that in this case a better opportunity is the same job title at a different location, while at Alabama better opportunities are generally position advancements(unless pushed out). Not much lateral movement.

Hell, sometimes we have guys leave for a year or 2 and come back and then leave again.

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have anything to do with being a small school. It's just the way college football works.

Alabama loses assistant coaches every year and so does every other school. Sometimes they are pushed out/fired, sometimes they leave for better opportunities.

Saban in general encourages these things for the staff to take better opportunities. Lots of focus is put on the player development and advancement of the players, but it also happens with coaches. They grow over time and develop into better coaches and that leads to more opportunity.

The only difference between Alabama and Boise St in this matter is that in this case a better opportunity is the same job title at a different location, while at Alabama better opportunities are generally position advancements(unless pushed out). Not much lateral movement.

Hell, sometimes we have guys leave for a year or 2 and come back and then leave again.

:agree: The better the coaching staff, the more this will happen. Meyer has already lost a few good assistants in his short time with Ohio State. And if you look back at his staff at Florida, many of his assistants left quickly and some are now head coaches of solid programs.

Really frustrating when guys take jobs in between the season and bowl games, but it's just the way it works. Fortunately for us, Tom Herman did a great job of balancing his preparation for Bama and Oregon while hiring a new staff at Houston. I was worried about that, but he did a great job.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is pretty high on the hire. Sounds good to me. Hopefully we start running the ball more.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Boise State is running a great program somehow. I had thought it was your AD looking at what was happening with the head coaches. I mean Dirk Koetter looked great at BSU, not so much at ASU. Then Dan Hawkins comes in and is phenomenal at BSU and sucks at Colorado. Then Chris Petersen comes in and is amazing, not sure how he will turn out in Washington. But in the mean time you lose your AD for having "too much power", the new AD brings in Harsin and he goes 12-2 with a Major bowl win.

Not sure what they put in the blue kool-aid up there but I wouldn't be too upset over the loss of a OC.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is pretty high on the hire. Sounds good to me. Hopefully we start running the ball more.

You'll like him. He's a pretty innovative guy who's not afraid to take some chances with throws down the field and a few trick plays sprinkled in. He runs a multiple offense with plenty of shifting and motioning and your wish to run the ball will be granted. Jay Ajayi lead the nation in touches last year. They definitely fed that horse last season. That's for sure.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Boise State is running a great program somehow. I had thought it was your AD looking at what was happening with the head coaches. I mean Dirk Koetter looked great at BSU, not so much at ASU. Then Dan Hawkins comes in and is phenomenal at BSU and sucks at Colorado. Then Chris Petersen comes in and is amazing, not sure how he will turn out in Washington. But in the mean time you lose your AD for having "too much power", the new AD brings in Harsin and he goes 12-2 with a Major bowl win.

Not sure what they put in the blue kool-aid up there but I wouldn't be too upset over the loss of a OC.

The AD getting forced out a few years ago was a complete witch hunt. Our President can be a bit abrasive and a bit of a loudmouth sometimes. He spoke up and made some ill advised comments about the NCAA slighting Boise, blah, blah, blah and they responded angrily by shinning a spotlight on the program and not in a good way. They were able to dig up some bullshit about a woman's tennis player who played a few matches when she was techincally ineligble and discovered some in-coming recruits had been given car rides and slept on a few football players' couches over the summertime while they waited for their dorms to become available which is also technically against the rules. The NCAA just jumped at the chance to jack hammer Boise with some bullshit sanctions, harsh ones. Meanwhile the president saw his opportunity to site the AD with a lack of institutional control and jumped out of his shoes at his chance to get him gone. Two strong personalities and the president never liked the AD to begin with who was already there when he arrived. It worked out perfectly for him. But credit the new AD Coyle though. He's doing a bang up job. How the hell he got Florida State and some of the other big boys to recently agree to do home and homes with Boise is beyond me. I have no idea how he was able to pull that one off, but I'm definitely thankful for it.