• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bo Ryan to Retire

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He may be pulling a Brett Favre as we are use to this sort of thing in Wisconsin

The 67-year-old Wisconsin coach left open the possibility he could coach beyond next year Wednesday while speaking with the Appleton Post-Crescent at a charity golf tournament.

“Everybody kind of thinks they know when they’re ready to retire, or step aside; I’m not totally sure," Ryan said. "[Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez] said I could change my mind at any time. I haven’t submitted any papers yet. I haven’t submitted anything. ... So I might stay for another four or five [years].

"I’m like a lot of other people who when they get to this stage in their career, who knows when the right time is? I was just trying to be up front and out in the open. But I wouldn’t be the first guy in the country that ever thought about retirement and then changed their mind. I’m not doing anything revolutionary here.”

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's playing mind games with the Athletic Department to get them to hire Greg Gard. He wants a commitment that Gard is their guy, and he's trying to make it clear that if they won't commit to him, Bo can always come back and retire right before the season starts to force their hands. It's a power play.

I just hope it doesn't get ugly. Those in the know think Bo believes the University owes Gard the job, and that he would feel tremendously guilty if Gard doesn't get the job after Gard's tremendous loyalty. Our recent players unanimously want Gard to be the coach. This has the potential to create a rift between the program and the guys who just led us to the most successful stretch in school history, and I really hope it doesn't come to that.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did hear that he supposedly told Joey Hauser that he wants to coach him.

Hauser is a 2018 recruit for what it's worth.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's playing mind games with the Athletic Department to get them to hire Greg Gard. He wants a commitment that Gard is their guy, and he's trying to make it clear that if they won't commit to him, Bo can always come back and retire right before the season starts to force their hands. It's a power play.

I just hope it doesn't get ugly. Those in the know think Bo believes the University owes Gard the job, and that he would feel tremendously guilty if Gard doesn't get the job after Gard's tremendous loyalty. Our recent players unanimously want Gard to be the coach. This has the potential to create a rift between the program and the guys who just led us to the most successful stretch in school history, and I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't really understand why the administration would automatically want Gard to step in and be the coach after Bo retires? Sure I can understand why Bo wants him to get the gig, but that's not really his call. I can understand if he had been at Wisconsin for 30+ years, but he's only been head coach for 15 years.

Also, the brand of Wisconsin is such that they can go out and hire a big name guy, for example Tony Bennett or somebody of that stature.

Would you want them to hire Gard, with no HC experience, when Alavarez may be able to pull somebody like Bennett or similar stature?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like he aint retiring

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After next season. Hopes for assistant Greg Hard to take over after next season.

Never really like him, but always respected him. He had a great career.

Gotta respect him... not only did he win, he did it with a lot of white players which is amazing in a sport that is dominated at the elite level by African Americans. Nothing racism in my post.. just being honest. That is kind of amazing when you play 4 white guys and don't always have the same athleticism but seem to compete night in and night out.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard that Tony Bennett would be interested in the Wisconsin job if Bo retires.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta respect him... not only did he win, he did it with a lot of white players which is amazing in a sport that is dominated at the elite level by African Americans. Nothing racism in my post.. just being honest. That is kind of amazing when you play 4 white guys and don't always have the same athleticism but seem to compete night in and night out.
He seems to win with average talent year in and year out. Amazing.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsins best player this upcoming season will be black for once. Assuming Nigel Hayes will be their best player.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsins best player this upcoming season will be black for once. Assuming Nigel Hayes will be their best player.

devin harris?