• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blake Beavan signs with Arizona

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that’s it then. You can officially close the book on the Cliff Lee trade.
Justin Smoak is a Blue Jay after years of futility in Seattle. We got nothing for him.
Matt Lawson is in the Indians minor leagues system. We got nothing for him.
Blake Beavan is with Arizona after being kicked off of the Mariners 40-man roster because he sucks. We got nothing for him.
And Josh Leuke? Well that is a bit more complicated, he did get us a bit of value. He was traded for John Jaso, who had a pretty decent year here in 2012. Jaso was then traded in a 3-way deal that brought Mike Morse to town. Morse was good for about 6 weeks in 2013, but otherwise was an oft-injured disappointment. Morse was traded to Baltimore for Xavier Avery who had a decent season in Tacoma last year but failed to make the big club. The Tigers picked up Avery as a free agent this fall. So: Leuke – Jaso – Morse – Avery – nothing.
Great trade.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...the summers that went by thinking just maybe Smoak was going to take off. I had too high of hopes and it's sad and funny that it's been 4 years and we got nothing to show for it, at least the pieces we sent to Philly we garbage to begn with.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...the summers that went by thinking just maybe Smoak was going to take off. I had too high of hopes and it's sad and funny that it's been 4 years and we got nothing to show for it, at least the pieces we sent to Philly we garbage to begn with.

Yep, that's the only consolation we have, knowing another team got as shafted as we did. Hard to believe we wasted a #1 on Phillippe Aumont. That's probably the biggest disappointment in this demoralizing story.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time when Lee knew he was about to be traded, he said in many interviews with Philadelphia press that his only goal was to get back to Philly the next season.

He said the same to Seattle press after he was a Mariner because he knew we were just going to trade him before season's end as well. It's the only reason we brought him onboard for a handful of games.

He said that his heart was still in Philly after we traded him to the Rangers.

And he's been with Philadelphia ever since then.

If you objectively look at what the consensus was about trade-able players at the time, it's hysterical to think we were going to get more than Smoak from Texas or any other club for 15 starts from Lee.

Z isn't good at trades, but this isn't on my list of bad moves by him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you objectively look at what the consensus was about trade-able players at the time, it's hysterical to think we were going to get more than Smoak from Texas or any other club for 15 starts from Lee.

Z isn't good at trades, but this isn't on my list of bad moves by him.

Yea you hit the nail on the head. We were floundering that year and it was obvious we had to move him so we had zero leverage in any trades. The only other package I remember hearing about was to the Yankees for Montero which we ended up doing anyway. Obviously the package we gave up to get Lee was a good trade and the Leuke for Jaso part worked well for us too.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we way overpaid when this went down and that we would regret it for a long time. Other than a post season run, neither team really won from this (though I enjoyed the hell out of the post season run).

The best news is that Lee is stuck in Philly with a shitty team and shitty GM with a shitty unmoveable contract, when coupled with that shitty GM. :pound:

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's the only consolation we have, knowing another team got as shafted as we did. Hard to believe we wasted a #1 on Phillippe Aumont. That's probably the biggest disappointment in this demoralizing story.
But from what was already selected in that draft I guess we missed out on Jason Heyward, but looking at the rest of the names it would have been a wash anyways.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we way overpaid when this went down and that we would regret it for a long time. Other than a post season run, neither team really won from this (though I enjoyed the hell out of the post season run).

The best news is that Lee is stuck in Philly with a shitty team and shitty GM with a shitty unmoveable contract, when coupled with that shitty GM. :pound:

Yeah but he's getting paid, he's comfortable. I doubt he really cares.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaso's production alone paid for 15 starts of Cliff Lee. This is not even counting the production from Smoak, Beavan, etc.

I know we all wanted Smoak to be our switch hitting 1B of the future, but he was a high upside, high risk move. It just didn't pan out. It happens. Like Ackley, he is not what we hoped, but in the process we found Seager and hit on a well above average, steady player. He could get better as well for all we know.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about the Cliff Lee trade yet no rejoicing that we don't have to watch Blake Beaven try anymore?

Good Lord, can you imagine the dingers he's gonna give up in Arizona?!