• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BINGO! Percy Harvin on the trade black

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was only for one year. When was the last time he missed a game because of the migraines? As a matter of fact, how many games has he missed in his career because of the migraines. That medical issue has been under control for more than a year now. What has he said or done to the Vikings that is considered detrimental to that organization? No beat writer is fully aware of what the tension is about but yet you quick to place blame on the guy. You must have some insight on this issue because this the summer I have read different reports on what the situation / rift was all about (him needing more touches; more money; etc.) - all rumors have either been denied by the Vikings front office or Harvin himself. Yet, you seem to have better knowledge on this issue...

He has damn near got into a fistfight with his last two headcoaches, I guess you're choosing to say those were just vicious rumors spread by haters.... hmmmm, OK.

His attitude currently sucks.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viking wideout Percy Harvin may or may not be on the trade block. Despite that vague status, he's worth discussing as it pertains to the 49ers because 1.) San Francisco still is in need of a wideout despite loading up on them last year. 2.) Harvin is a gifted athlete and a true talent who was being talked about as a league MVP before going down with an injury this past season.

Pros
1. Harvin and Michael Crabtree came into the league together in 2009 and seem to complement each other nicely. Crabtree put all diva and prima donna talk far, far in the rear-view mirror this season with his gritty and clutch play, and he emerged -- obviously, if you watched the 49ers final three offensive snaps -- as Colin Kaepernick's favorite target. What the team needs is someone with deep speed, which Harvin possesses.

2. Harvin isn't just a sprinter. He's extremely versatile having played both receiver and running back at Florida. The Vikings used him in a variety of ways as well, and a creative offensive coordinator like Greg Roman is the perfect person to be pulling the strings on how Harvin is utilized in the offense. Can you imagine a system that has Crabtree, Harvin, LaMichael James, Vernon Davis and Colin Kaepernick at the same time?

3.) If the Vikings are looking for draft picks, the 49ers are the team to approach. They are expecting to have 14 in the upcoming draft once compensatory picks are announced, and that number could rise if they can move Alex Smith.

Cons
1.) The Vikings are struggling with what to pay Harvin, who is due for a contract extension. Any team that acquires him -- he'll likely want a top-wide receiver contract -- will have to face the same issue. Meanwhile, Crabtree has one more year left on his rookie contract while Kaepernick is eligible to have his modest rookie deal renegotiated after next season.

2.) While Crabtree is the wide receiver who went into the 2009 draft with a diva reputation, Harvin has been the one with well reported blow-ups at coaches. Randy Moss wasn't happy with how he was utilized in the 49ers offense but kept his mouth shut and was the good soldier. Would Harvin behave? And if he didn't, how would that sit in a locker room led by blue-collar Patrick Willis and Justin Smith?
3.) Harvin missed seven games with an ankle injury last season and has a long history of missing time with migraine headaches. However, it should be noted that while the migraine episodes have knocked him out of practice, he missed only three games in three seasons prior to 2012.

4.) Harvin has special teams ability, but it's as a kick returner, not a punt returner. If the 49ers parted ways with Ted Ginn, their big needs would be on punts. They currently have LaMichael James handling kick returns.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Percy Harvin would fill a 49ers need, but ...

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has damn near got into a fistfight with his last two headcoaches, I guess you're choosing to say those were just vicious rumors spread by haters.... hmmmm, OK.

His attitude currently sucks.

Hmmm. That sounds extremely serious and accurate. I'm assuming he got suspended or fine for doing that. How many games was he suspended for having a sucky attitude?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This would be so awesome!!!

For the right price of course

it is always about the 'right price of course'. :-)

tough call for Baalke for ANY FA this off-season, he has to think ahead to next season too. Kap alone will command a BIG contract.

Hunter and LMJ can bring similar 'short' receiving ability, and run after catch. not the same as Harvin, but if you factor in cap hit, Harvin's value just isn't there?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep, your value system is skewed. Harvin is about as versatile as they come and at an MVP level. RB, WR, KR. We would be getting a multi-dimensional player coming into a system that seems tailor made to fit his strengths, with a WR in Crabtree on the other side that seems to be the perfect yin to his yang...and that's without mentioning VD as a bonafide offensive threat. Worry about contract issues later. Kaep will get paid, we have high priced players are are either going to be traded (Alex) or cut (Akers, Haralyson, Whitner?) so the money is there to re-negotiate contract extensions for those who Baalke and Harbaugh deem worthy.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will turn out to be a steal for whoever gets him. I know Baalke has to be licking his chops knowing it might only take a 3rd and maybe a 4th or 5th.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would be just as frevent as Bingo about trading for Harvin if Mike Wallace weren't a FA.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm. That sounds extremely serious and accurate. I'm assuming he got suspended or fine for doing that. How many games was he suspended for having a sucky attitude?

LOL. Like I said, it's your choice to believe that Percy Harvin is a model citizen and has never actually fought with his college position coach or NFL head coaches.

Teams are not required to suspend players or fine them for internal incidents, that is just an avenue available to them as punishment.

Whoever trades for Harvin and gives him a new contract will probably be very pleased with that move for 1-3 years, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that new team looks to unload him after a few years when he gets into another fight with his coaches.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's another reason I'm so much more hyped about getting Wallace than Harvin.

The Niners have a much bigger need for a traditional, #1 WR who lines up wide every down than they do a guy who can do things out of the backfield. That's why they have Lamichael James. They don't need Harvin to carry the ball even 1 time a game; there's really no need for that.

Harvin is not a guy who's going to line up at wideout almost every snap of the game. THAT is what the Niners need, and that's what Wallace does.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another reason I'm so much more hyped about getting Wallace than Harvin.

The Niners have a much bigger need for a traditional, #1 WR who lines up wide every down than they do a guy who can do things out of the backfield. That's why they have Lamichael James. They don't need Harvin to carry the ball even 1 time a game; there's really no need for that.

Harvin is not a guy who's going to line up at wideout almost every snap of the game. THAT is what the Niners need, and that's what Wallace does.

Totally agree with all this. I've been wanting Wallace for years now

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as acquiring weapons goes, I'd be happy with either one, but I'm also in the Wallace over Harvin club.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm definitely interested in getting Harvin. Much more than I am Wallace (he's not a legit #1, he's a legit 1 dimensional WR).

That being said, with regard to Harvin's clashes with authority, I've read that he was banned from all high school sports for a year in high school for his actions on the court/field.

Here's a link to an article that mentions it.
Which side of Percy Harvin will show up for UF this fall? - Orlando Sentinel

There are lots of reader comments on various articles about it.

Now, that was years ago when he was in HS. He isn't necessarily the same person now that he was at 17 and he may have grown out of it, but with reports of discontent in Minnesota, and the willingness of Minnesota to entertain trade offers suggests there are still some attitude issues in play.

The big question for me would be how his potential attitude issues (let's assume the stories are true for the sake of this) would fit in with guys like Justin Smith, P-Willie, Joe Staley, VD and particularly Jim Harbaugh. Would they straighten him out so to speak, or would he become more insolent?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are just some people in the NFL that I don't want to see this team try to win with and Harvin is one of them. Is that somewhat unfair? Maybe. Possibly somewhat.

Going back to his adolescence days, he's always been very difficult for me to root for or get behind because of the numerous character/personality things that have continued to stick to him.

No, you won't find every single one of his former coaches and teammates bad mouthing him so I don't need another one of his supporters coming at me for the millionth time showing a couple quotes saying that he's a delight, fantastic, wonderful, etc., to work and play with. Yeah, I have a history of going over this with people, especially since I live close to Vikings country. If you were a fan of him prior to the NFL or even one since he came into the NFL I know that you'll probably be more willing to overlook those things and maybe even try to argue that there's no issue there. Again, I've seen it before.

Even if you force me to get beyond all that AND the migraine issue, I still wouldn't want to sink 9-11M per year into him, which is what many seem to believe he'll wind up securing from somebody. No thank you.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He belongs with Tebow.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely interested in getting Harvin. Much more than I am Wallace (he's not a legit #1, he's a legit 1 dimensional WR).

Even though Wallace is more one dimensional, it's one dimension our offense could really use. He also has better durability, and less mental baggage. Wallace taking the top off defenses would really open things up for crabs and VD.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even though Wallace is more one dimensional, it's one dimension our offense could really use. He also has better durability, and less mental baggage. Wallace taking the top off defenses would really open things up for crabs and VD.

Yeah, but for the contract he's going to get, he needs to be more than one-dimensional.

I'm not paying 10M per year to a deep threat.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How about Tayvon Austin vs Percy Harvin? Consider the cost of each as well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, but for the contract he's going to get, he needs to be more than one-dimensional.

I'm not paying 10M per year to a deep threat.

Mike Wallace is kind of 1-dimensional, but it's not like he's Desean Jackson. He's not AJ Green either, but those kinds of WRs are never gonna leave their teams in URFA. Wallace isn't just running go routes. He's great on out patterns (and the Niners actually have a QB who can throw out patterns now), he's great at comeback routes. And with Kaep's arm strength, he can just pull a Wes Welker & find a spot in a zone defense and wait for the ball. Basically, he's not very good at going over the middle. That's what Vernon & Crabby are for. And it's not like he doesn't run routes over the middle; that's just not his forte. Either way, defenses are going to have to keep a safety over the guy because he's probably one of the 2 or 3 fastest WRs in the league. That means you take the safety out of run support to a very large extent.

Wallace is about as good a WR as you're going to find in URFA. He might not be as good as Vincent Jackson, but he's close IMO.

It would be nice if the Cowboys were willing to deal Dez Bryant or something, but they're not. Wallace is the best option, and he would single-handedly make the Niners' offense a top 3 unit in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mike Wallace is kind of 1-dimensional, but it's not like he's Desean Jackson. He's not AJ Green either, but those kinds of WRs are never gonna leave their teams in URFA. Wallace isn't just running go routes. He's great on out patterns (and the Niners actually have a QB who can throw out patterns now), he's great at comeback routes. And with Kaep's arm strength, he can just pull a Wes Welker & find a spot in a zone defense and wait for the ball. Basically, he's not very good at going over the middle. That's what Vernon & Crabby are for. And it's not like he doesn't run routes over the middle; that's just not his forte. Either way, defenses are going to have to keep a safety over the guy because he's probably one of the 2 or 3 fastest WRs in the league. That means you take the safety out of run support to a very large extent.

Wallace is about as good a WR as you're going to find in URFA. He might not be as good as Vincent Jackson, but he's close IMO.

It would be nice if the Cowboys were willing to deal Dez Bryant or something, but they're not. Wallace is the best option, and he would single-handedly make the Niners' offense a top 3 unit in the league.

I think you're greatly overvaluing his route running. He runs a great go route. I don't think I would use "great" to describe any of his other routes. He's not a franchise WR contract player. If we could get him for 7M or so, I'd be in. But for 8 figures, it's a no.

If he's as good a WR as you'll find in FA, then don't look for a #1 WR in FA.

How many WRs in the league would you take over Mike Wallace if everyone were available for their current contract?