• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread Big 12 Tournament

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday, March 7th:
First Round:

#8 Oklahoma State vs. #9 Oklahoma - 7:00 | ESPNU
# 7 Texas vs. #10 Iowa State - 9:30 | ESPNU

Thursday, March 8th:
Quarterfinals:

#4 Kansas State vs. #4 TCU - 12:30 | ESPN2
#1 Kansas vs. #8 Oklahoma State/#9 Oklahoma - 3:00 | ESPN2
#2 Texas Tech vs. #7 Texas/#10 Iowa State - 7:00 | ESPNU
#3 West Virginia vs. #6 Baylor - 9:30 | ESPNU

Friday, March 9th:
Semifinals:

Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner - 7:00 | ESPN2
Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner - 9:30 | ESPN2

Saturday, March 10th:
Championship Game
- 6:00 | ESPN

NCAA College Basketball - Big 12 Tournament Bracket And Analysis - CBSSports.com

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Oklahoma out in the first round. If they make it to the NCAA tournament, that would be a travesty in my opinion. Especially if they don't make it to at least the semi finals. With that said, I have TCU vs. West Virginia in the final with WVU winning.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Oklahoma out in the first round. If they make it to the NCAA tournament, that would be a travesty in my opinion. Especially if they don't make it to at least the semi finals. With that said, I have TCU vs. West Virginia in the final with WVU winning.

OU should be in with a win against Oklahoma State

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU looks to have a pretty decent draw. Alas they will probably lose to Baylor.

Truthfully depending on injuries for Texas Tech, I like Kansas-Texas Tech final with Kansas taking it.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bunch of teams have a chance to get to the final but in the end I think Kansas or WVU takes it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU should be in with a win against Oklahoma State

I would still put Oklahoma State in over Oklahoma. No way 9 Big 12 teams get into the tournament. The resumes and the performance in the conference tourney should speak volumes for Baylor, Texas, OSU and OU. I feel like 6-7 Big 12 teams SHOULD make it. Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State and West Virginia are locks in my opinion.

OSU - 5 wins vs. ranked opponents. Worst losses: vs. Baylor, OU and Texas
OU - 3 wins vs. ranked opponents. Worst losses: vs. Baylor, OSU and Iowa State
Baylor - 2 wins vs. ranked opponents. Worst losses: vs. Iowa State and OU
Texas - 2 wins vs. ranked opponents. Worst losses: vs. Baylor (twice) and OSU

Unless one of these 4 teams wins the tournament, I can't see 8 or 9 teams in from the Big 12. Lunardi has Texas as one of his last four in, yet you have a team like OSU with better quality wins and more quantity of wins against ranked opponents. Not to mention, that 11 game streak for OU where they went 2-9, losing to OSU, Bama and Texas, not to mention getting completely embarrassed by Kansas, that has to leave a sour taste in the selection teams mouth, no?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still put Oklahoma State in over Oklahoma. No way 9 Big 12 teams get into the tournament. The resumes and the performance in the conference tourney should speak volumes for Baylor, Texas, OSU and OU. I feel like 6-7 Big 12 teams SHOULD make it. Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State and West Virginia are locks in my opinion.

Unless one of these 4 teams wins the tournament, I can't see 8 or 9 teams in from the Big 12. Lunardi has Texas as one of his last four in, yet you have a team like OSU with better quality wins and more quantity of wins against ranked opponents. Not to mention, that 11 game streak for OU where they went 2-9, losing to OSU, Bama and Texas, not to mention getting completely embarrassed by Kansas, that has to leave a sour taste in the selection teams mouth, no?

Right now, three teams with below .500 conference records are in the bracket. I'm a person who doesn't think ANY teams with below .500 conference records should get an at large bid.

Yes, those teams are capable of winning a game or two, but so is Nebraska and Western Kentucky.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, 9 teams probably should make it, but I doubt will. Oklahoma has 6 Q1 wins, which is twice as many as a team like Michigan State, they are a lock at this point. The only reason people don't want them to make it is because they've "struggled" down the stretch. I put that in quotes because it's not like they took on any Q3 or Q4 losses in that time frame. Their worst loss was at Iowa State. Texas should feel pretty comfortable with just beating Iowa State and it would probably serve Baylor to get a couple wins to feel absolutely safe.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, three teams with below .500 conference records are in the bracket. I'm a person who doesn't think ANY teams with below .500 conference records should get an at large bid.

Yes, those teams are capable of winning a game or two, but so is Nebraska and Western Kentucky.

I agree 100%. I think Nebraska deserves to be in, but that loss against Illinois looks real bad. They lost to UCF earlier in the season too that probably doesn't look to good. But 13-5 in conference play and right now, they are one of the first four teams out, yet the Big 12, right now, has 3 sub-.500 teams in the tournament? Doesn't sound right to me. I also saw on some brackets that Syracuse is one of the last four in. 8-10 in conference play and their best win probably came last night against Clemson. I really wish the way teams were chosen were thought about differently. Look at some lesser known conferences:

American East: Vermont is 15-1 in conference play, 26-6 overall. If they don't win their conference tournament, they might actually miss the tournament.
Big Sky: Montana is 16-2 in conference play and will miss the tournament if they don't win the conference tournament and right now, Montana is a 16 seed.
CAA: Northeastern and Charleston are 14-4 and Charleston is undefeated at home this year. Won't make the tournament unless the conference tournament.
Conference USA: Could argue they should have 3 teams in the tournament. MTSU, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky.
Horizon: Northern Kentucky and Wright State should be in the tournament, not a 3rd sub-.500 Big 12 team.
MVC: Loyola-Chicago only has 5 losses this year. They MIGHT miss the NCAA tourney if they don't win the conference tourney. That would be a REAL shame.
Summit: South Dakota and South Dakota State should both be in the NCAA tournament over a 9th ACC team that JUST beat it's first real team.

Who has Louisville beaten to get in the tournament as the 8th ACC team? Who has LSU beaten to get in the tournament as an 8th SEC team? Who has Seton Hall beat to get in the tournament as a 4th or 5th Big East team? Butler has 1 win over the RPI top 20 and they are an 8th seed in the NCAA tournament with a record of 19-12? I get the "better competition" in the ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, but I just with that the NCAA tourney would be a little more open to teams from the lesser known conferences. I feel like it would be a much better tournament experience. All these ranked losses by these big conference ranked teams, doesn't mean shit because you still have about 10 teams with between 12-14 losses that won't finish in the top 5 or 6 of their own conference who will be at least an 8, 9 or 10 seed in the NCAA tourney, while a 27-5 regular season AND conference tournament champion is gonna be LUCKY to be ranked 12th. It's a shame in my opinion. Rant over, sorry! lol

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, 9 teams probably should make it, but I doubt will. Oklahoma has 6 Q1 wins, which is twice as many as a team like Michigan State, they are a lock at this point. The only reason people don't want them to make it is because they've "struggled" down the stretch. I put that in quotes because it's not like they took on any Q3 or Q4 losses in that time frame. Their worst loss was at Iowa State. Texas should feel pretty comfortable with just beating Iowa State and it would probably serve Baylor to get a couple wins to feel absolutely safe.

I don't even think 8 teams should make it and I'm having trouble putting 7 Big 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. 6 for sure. Kansas, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas State and Texas Tech definitely. OK State would be the next team in for me but all that depends on conference tournament performance.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think 8 teams should make it and I'm having trouble putting 7 Big 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. 6 for sure. Kansas, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas State and Texas Tech definitely. OK State would be the next team in for me but all that depends on conference tournament performance.

You need to field 68 teams though. I don't think you take only 6 from this conference.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to field 68 teams though. I don't think you take only 6 from this conference.

Well I don't agree with the 68 teams either. But that's another topic for another time.

You can take 6 from this conference if you take out the 7th and 8th team that would get in from the Big 12 that are 19-12 or 18-13 and put in 2 2nd place teams from conferences that have a team that's, for instance 24-6 but lose out on the NCAA tournament because they don't win their own conference tournament.

For instance, Charleston is 14-0 at home and and 24-7 on the year. If they lose their conference tournament, they are in the NIT which is complete bullshit. So put in the conference champion AND Charleston because they deserve that spot more than an 18-13 Oklahoma team right now.

Or, you put in 3 Conference USA teams instead of 8 Big 12 teams. Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky deserve to be in the NCAA tournament over teams like Louisville, Syracuse, Oklahoma and Texas.

OR! Put BYU in the tournament instead of an 8th Big 12 team, and put Nebraska in instead of a 7th Big 12 team.

There are much more deserving teams, both in major and minor conferences, over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisville, Syracuse and Notre Dame.

Never gonna happen, I know, but I can dream lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't agree with the 68 teams either. But that's another topic for another time.

You can take 6 from this conference if you take out the 7th and 8th team that would get in from the Big 12 that are 19-12 or 18-13 and put in 2 2nd place teams from conferences that have a team that's, for instance 24-6 but lose out on the NCAA tournament because they don't win their own conference tournament.

For instance, Charleston is 14-0 at home and and 24-7 on the year. If they lose their conference tournament, they are in the NIT which is complete bullshit. So put in the conference champion AND Charleston because they deserve that spot more than an 18-13 Oklahoma team right now.

Or, you put in 3 Conference USA teams instead of 8 Big 12 teams. Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky deserve to be in the NCAA tournament over teams like Louisville, Syracuse, Oklahoma and Texas.

OR! Put BYU in the tournament instead of an 8th Big 12 team, and put Nebraska in instead of a 7th Big 12 team.

There are much more deserving teams, both in major and minor conferences, over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisville, Syracuse and Notre Dame.

Never gonna happen, I know, but I can dream lol

Charleston isn't more deserving though. They are currently 22-7, but have lost to Towson, Drexel and Elon in conference and has a neutral court loss to Cal Poly(who's 7-21). Also, Charleston scheduled like shit OOC, so they shouldn't get any benefit of the doubt. I'm all for giving mid-majors a chance, but not what would be an 8 loss team from the CAA, with FOUR sub 150 losses on their resume.

I do think a team like MTSU deserves it this season, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them make it. ODU(awful OOC SOS) doesn't and neither does WKU(too many losses/bad losses). There honestly just aren't that many deserving mid-majors out there, which is why teams that have compiled a bunch of losses are more deserving to make it.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oklahoma (18-12) gets left out I won't complain. They have some really impressive wins this season (Wichita St, Kansas, Texas Tech), but they've looked like shit for most of the second half of the season. It could be as simple as their game vs Oklahoma St. Win and in, lose and out.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia. Get it done Huggy Bear!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm more hard lined than you are. I'm not for more than a couple from each conference getting at at large bid...depending on ties int he standings etc. Especially a conference like the Big 12..who played a true double round robin and decided it on the court. None of that well team X played team Y on the road, and avoided team Z.....etc.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say at least 8 or 9 BIG 12 teams get in the tourney. Best conference this year with some really good individual players.

Texas Tech have a very big team that runs the floor with the best of them.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say at least 8 or 9 BIG 12 teams get in the tourney. Best conference this year with some really good individual players.

Texas Tech have a very big team that runs the floor with the best of them.
Big 12 had some very underwhelming basketball this year. Definitely not the best conference this year for me. I will be very shocked if 9 Big 12 teams make it in, barring any non lock winning the tournament. I can get behind Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU and West Virginia. I think Oklahoma State should be the next one in, then Oklahoma, then Baylor. The loser of the Oklahoma/Oklahoma State game should be left out of the NCAA tournament.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im guessing ISU wins

Seems like this league just throws games to get as many teams in as possible.