• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Title Game in '16

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU, UCF off the top of my head would be great additions......now if your looking for perfect regional picks....I do not think they exist.

BYU great national following
USF great market and I bet if you put the Big 12 tag on them their program would explode.

Going down this road and for the sake of argument and using this rationale...the only teams that make sense ..and I am totally against it...BYU and Houston...I think if you were to ask the Big12 schools they are less than excited at the additional travel costs coming to Wv...adding a Florida as another long travel destination is going to meet resistance...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there was a 3 way tie, the BE used to make a mini-conference of the 3. If one team went 2-0, it was declared champion. If all 3 went 1-1, then the highest ranked team was determined to be the BCS rep.

In a 2 way tie, the H/H winner was given the BCS berth.
ok, I thought the BCS ratings came in to play in some scenario

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going down this road and for the sake of argument and using this rationale...the only teams that make sense ..and I am totally against it...BYU and Houston...I think if you were to ask the Big12 schools they are less than excited at the additional travel costs coming to Wv...adding a Florida as another long travel destination is going to meet resistance...

Maybe we can throw LSU a lifeline :noidea::whistle:

LSU drafting 'academic bankruptcy' plan in response to state budget crisis | NOLA.com

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why this really matters. Everyone already knows who won the head to head and the "other champion" was just on paper.

Who thinks that if this new rule was in place that it would have swayed the selection committee towards the Big 12 for the playoff teams.

Seems to be a lot to do about nothing except everyone was making fun of the "one true champion" thing. And anyone with half a brain saw that coming way before last year.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well… obviously the leaders of the Big 12 didn't see that the PR slogan was going to bite them in the ass.

I agree with you that everyone understood who won the Big 12. However, it makes no sense to not have a tie-breaker rule to determine the champion of the football season.

The CFP made it very clear it was going to look at conference champions. The Big 12 did not have a current means to declare one true champion… only a tie breaker to determine who'd earn a BCS bowl berth… a system no longer in existence.

It made the conference look foolish…

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup this should have been addressed last spring by the conference. Everyone knew it was going to be a dog eat dog race for those 4 playoff spots and we (meaning the B12) needed our leadership to cover every base that they could, they failed at that task. I cut them some slack on some things because nobody knew just exactly how everything would work but a tiebreak imo was a no brainer, ESPECIALLY like outofyourmind was referring to, having that "one true champion" on the front door.
A rule needs to be passed about stronger scheduling as well to force Baylor to have some balls for once. Even with the Big12 schedule being as tough as it is I don't think requiring at least 1 P5 ooc opponent is too much to ask. IMHO you put a win over a ooc P5 on Baylors schedule last year plus the H2H over TCU and the Big12 would have had no problem naming then our "one true champion" and they were in, however the Big12 knew full well that Baylor had zero shot after the committee put TCU so much higher than the bears in their rankings just before ccg week.
Baylors yellow streak cost every one of our conference members money by not having a strong enough sos to get in, screw them!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article written by David Ubben sharing his thoughts on this topic.

He makes some valid points.

Title game return spells trouble for short-sighted Big 12 | FOX Sports

I agree with this guy 100%.
I would let it play out a few more years before I made a knee jerk reaction to last season.
It isn't going to work out well.
And as he said, one of the two best BigXII teams is assured a loss the last game of the season, and that does nothing good for Bowl placement outside of the playoff.
And why not play a 3rd game, you know just to make sure you got it extra right. You wouldn't want 2 games to end with each team winning once.
Fucking retards is what we have running the show.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never a fan of the rematch. A CC game is only good if you are split into divisions. Until we are able to add some quality teams the CC game makes little sense.

The real problem with the B12 is parity. We will have 2-3 teams that could be called weak, any of the rest could win the conference. We have Kansas and Iowa State. Parity hurt the SEC this year also. Meanwhile, Florida State was able to roll through the ACC with little problem, Oregon was able to dominate the Pac, and OSU had no challenges going through the B10. all of these teams were able to bypass good teams in the conferences other division, making their paths easier.

The B12 already plays 9 conference games and teams go through a gauntlet unmatched in College football. To ask the team that makes it through on top to play one more tough game, only makes the path to the playoff more difficult.

I also have to question whether a conference championship game would have mattered this year after the woodshedding OSU gave in their CC game. Florida State would not be denied and the SEC would not be denied

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely agree… once tOSU took Wisky to the woodshed…. the deal was done. Even if the Big 12 Championship forced TCU and BU to play each other again, I think the outcome of the OSU game would have pushed them into the 4th spot. 59-0 over the 11th ranked team was damn impressive.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely agree… once tOSU took Wisky to the woodshed…. the deal was done. Even if the Big 12 Championship forced TCU and BU to play each other again, I think the outcome of the OSU game would have pushed them into the 4th spot. 59-0 over the 11th ranked team was damn impressive.
And from the playoff results... Well, it was the right call.