• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Title Game in '16

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just expand already.....good grief

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a HC in the Big 12, I'd hate having to face off against one of my conference mates for a 2nd time... especially if we beat them the first go-round.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a HC in the Big 12, I'd hate having to face off against one of my conference mates for a 2nd time... especially if we beat them the first go-round.

That is my biggest dislike about the whole thing. I hate the thoughts of a rematch every year and I agree Im sure the coaches hate it as well.

If the thinking is take the money that will be paid for the rights of a CCG now with our 10 teams then at the end of the TV deals in place now add a few programs in good markets to set up long term then capitalize on all of it then.... Sure

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's christmas in the Big12!!...they absolutely will not expand now.......no reason to do it....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we keep a round robin schedule, the B12 will have the toughest road to the playoff. It is a big advantage to conferences who play less conference games to post good records. With a CC game now as it stands there will be another conference foe who has to be beat again.

If we go the CC game route, we should ditch the round robin. Play just 6 conference games per year and schedule ACC or B1G teams to pad the rest of the schedule. This would also allow WVU to have some more games close to home.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if the Big 12 goes to a CCG, they would have to model the SEC, to a certain extent, through expansion. The only problem now is there isn't enough good programs out there to make it to their benefit. I haven't heard anything about Clemson & FSU still being disgruntled. The Big 12 would still need to add another 2 to 4 teams.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU, UCF off the top of my head would be great additions......now if your looking for perfect regional picks....I do not think they exist.

BYU great national following
USF great market and I bet if you put the Big 12 tag on them their program would explode.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it before and I will say it again...

I think the best route for expansion in the Big 12 is Florida.

Add USF and UCF. This would allow a geographic Big 12 split North and South AND would place Oklahoma and Texas in separate divisions. They could still play every year, but would allow both schools the opportunity to meet in the Title Game. Like it or not, those two schools have the largest national exposure, and an OU v. UT title game on occasion is best for the entire conference.

SOUTH: USF, UCF, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
NORTH: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St. WVU

I'm going to speak borderline blasphemy here, but after that expansion, if , and that is if, we can garner Florida St. and Clemson, I say we add two other schools. the first one is a no-brainer to me: Cincinnati. I think the second school should be.... NORTHERN IOWA. On the surface it sounds goofy, but... they have a powerhouse in FCS and would make the jump well, PLUS they have a large fan base. Also, they have an excellent Basketball and Baseball program. I'd avoid BYU if possible. Then for basketball and baseball only, I think a four division solution would be best, playing your own division twice and everyone else once.

Four Divisions of the Big 12 Basketball with 16 schools.

South: Florida St., Clemson, Texas, Baylor
Gulf Coast: UCF, USF, TCU, Texas Tech
Plains: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St.
Central: Northern Iowa, Iowa St., Cincinnati, West Virginia

The reason to have Baylor and Texas with FSU and Clemson.... BASEBALL.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big XII needs to expand at its earliest convenience. Two schools with good programs and TV market. I would love to see a major coup and steal a school from another major conference. (I'm looking at you ACC)

Let's face it, expansion is not over. Sooner or later the bigger conferences will look to size up again. I, like many others, see this ending with 4 major "super-conferences". What better way to ensure our survival than by wounding the competition while bolstering our own strength?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big XII needs to expand at its earliest convenience. Two schools with good programs and TV market. I would love to see a major coup and steal a school from another major conference. (I'm looking at you ACC)

Let's face it, expansion is not over. Sooner or later the bigger conferences will look to size up again. I, like many others, see this ending with 4 major "super-conferences". What better way to ensure our survival than by wounding the competition while bolstering our own strength?
I agree MAC, the B12 better get on with it ASAP, because when the PAC decides to expand, they will be looking first at the B12, some claim the ACC is the weakest of the "power 5" I say it is not, the B12 is the only place for the PAC to look to for name teams, they made a grab a few years ago, and will try again, where else are they going to go? I think the PAC, SEC, B11 and ACC go to 16, taking the cream of the B12, and we will be begging the ACC and SEC to let us in

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, we have been lucky.
Oklahoma has played 3 CCGames that were rematches and have won all 3. Won all 3 the first time we played them too. We are 4-0 in rematches with conference opponents all time. However when we had the BigXII CCG it wasn't necessarily true that the 2nd best team was playing in it, or the 3rd or 4th best team for that matter. In this new set up, the 2 best teams will play again.

I'm no fan of the idea. Just add 2 more schools. They won't be super big names so maybe just be the first conference to go to 16 schools and be done with it.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we have been lucky.
Oklahoma has played 3 CCGames that were rematches and have won all 3. Won all 3 the first time we played them too. We are 4-0 in rematches with conference opponents all time. However when we had the BigXII CCG it wasn't necessarily true that the 2nd best team was playing in it, or the 3rd or 4th best team for that matter. In this new set up, the 2 best teams will play again.

I'm no fan of the idea. Just add 2 more schools. They won't be super big names so maybe just be the first conference to go to 16 schools and be done with it.

I like that idea a lot but if adding 2 would hurt the payouts to our members right now then 6 would put us in a bad place financially, especially with all the changes coming down the pike in the near future. Once these TV deals begin to get close to being over and its time to renegotiate then things are going to get very interesting imo.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that idea a lot but if adding 2 would hurt the payouts to our members right now then 6 would put us in a bad place financially, especially with all the changes coming down the pike in the near future. Once these TV deals begin to get close to being over and its time to renegotiate then things are going to get very interesting imo.

Yeah, the money thing. I was thinking that some of that might be offset by some basketball money but I don't know how much that brings in or if it would offset the difference enough. Cincinnati and Louisville come to mind in that regard. BYU would bring money to the table and wouldn't cost anything. Central/South Florida could maybe make it up with the television markets, and maybe pull in a big name school like Florida State. Might just be able to put something like that together and not cost any teams a dime. Maybe not. Just thinking outloud.

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just listening to Dana on Tim Brando. Brando asked if Dana would be for a CCG if the B12 stayed at 10. Dana was all for it even though it would mean playing one team twice. He also said that he was sure that every other coach in B12 would be for it as well. Guess we know Dana's take on a CCG now

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just listening to Dana on Tim Brando. Brando asked if Dana would be for a CCG if the B12 stayed at 10. Dana was all for it even though it would mean playing one team twice. He also said that he was sure that every other coach in B12 would be for it as well. Guess we know Dana's take on a CCG now

Some more takes form the Big12 coaches:
Big 12 coaches weigh in on whether league should bring back title game - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

I think I tend to side with Paul Rhodes. Id also like to see a rule passed that forces all members (looking at you Baylor) to play at least 1 P5 program ooc and I think Id like to see the conference also use one of the old BigEast methods ( at least I THINK I remember this being the tie break with the 8 teams) of naming the highest ranked team in the committee poll as champion in the event of a tie. If memory serves I think the old BigEast used the BCS standings when there was a tie (which seemed to happed regularly) and sent the highest raked team to the BCS game.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there was a 3 way tie, the BE used to make a mini-conference of the 3. If one team went 2-0, it was declared champion. If all 3 went 1-1, then the highest ranked team was determined to be the BCS rep.

In a 2 way tie, the H/H winner was given the BCS berth.