• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Players You Watched

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was lucky in my youth to have a family that loved to go to all sporting events. It might be the Rams in the Colisium or Dodgers in the Colisium and then Chavez Ravine or Lakers mostly at the Forum, we spent time watching the greats of the games. I could go on and on about all the sports like Russell, Reed and West in the NBA or Koufax, Drysdale, Mays or Gibson in the MLB but for the Rams page, I will throw out some names that I watched early in my life. Not mentioned would be the Rams and other teams greats in the 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond. I am going to go on about guys I saw early, so might be familiar some not but they all had an effect on me growing up.

Jim Brown-Browns, LeRoy Kelly-Browns, Paul Hornung-Packers, Sam Huff-Giants, Bart Starr-Packers, Y.A. Tittle-Giants, Ron Yary-Vikings, Willie Davis-Packers, Mike Ditka-Bears, Gino Marchetti-Colts, Ollie Matson-Rams, Fran Tarkenton-Vikings, Gale Sayers-Bears, Johnny Unitas-Colts, Carl Eller-Vikings, Dick Butkus-Bears, Lou Groza-Browns, Jim Taylor-Packers.

It was always the blue and white with the horns for me growing up but all of these guys made me a football fan then as it is now. Feel free to add any guys you all saw growing up including the like of Eric Dickerson, Harris, Dorsett, Montana and others. This is built for us and our memories.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue: Deacon, Merlin, Rosey, Lamar Lundy, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Bob Brown, Roman Gabriel, Johnny Unitas, Pat Sumerall, Bob Lilly, Ron Yary, The purple People Eaters, Fuzzy Thurston, Joe willie Namath, and Darryl Lamonica.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Allen and Derrick Brooks are the two best I have seen play. I list them because I saw most of their games in college and the pros as well as in person. Bruce Matthews was another great I was lucky enough to watch for most of his career.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if I was older, this would be a difficult question because the eras are so very different. I am 30 so Ive seen Montana, Marino, Elway, Rice, LT, Young, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Primetime, Emmit, Barry, etc. But I didn't get to see OJ Simpson or Dickerson run or Unitas throw.

All I know is that the QB play has gotten significantly better since Ive been watching and Oline play has gone downhill. RB seems to be deeper but the top end running backs of the previous eras would dominate in today's game, as well.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton, I think you are right about the top QB play. Montana was one of the guys that did not have the strong arm but the aim and game management was near perfect. Starr, Tittle and guys of the 60s had a different game to play, they were game managers at most. That doesn't take anything away from them, it was just a different game. I also agree that Jim Brown, LeRoy Kelly, Gale Sayers, Paul Hornung among others would still be successful today but add to the fact that players are just plain faster today. Defensive players like SS and OLBs run as fast as RBs did in the old days plus the DLmen are just bigger. Break away speed is always an A factor in Sayers, Brown and Kelly, they would break away today still. O Lineman I think are just as good, it is that the defensive scheme and speed on the other side of the ball is just that much better today. It is why it is always difficult to put ages together and pick who is best ever.

RAM-N-IT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen plenty, I was in Denver and watched Elway just totally go pass happy against the RAMS.

One of the best passing days Elway probably had against one team. He made the RAMS look foolish that day.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to see Dickerson run a few plays in a pre-season game. Pretty meaningless in the scheme of things, but it was a big day for me at the time.