• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Ideas for a College Playoff

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that the realignment chatter has calmed, pitch your best scenario for a college playoff. I thought this was a good, unbiased, thought-provoking article:

Chatelain: Playoff should reward conference champions - Omaha.com

Let's limit options to a +1 or a 4-team playoff since it seems that 8+ team playoffs are off the table for the immediate future.

I think a good compromise for a 4-team playoff would be as follows:

1. Take the highest ranking conference champs that fall in the top 6 from conferences that play a conference championship game
2. Take the highest ranking conference champs that fall in the top 6 from
conferences that DO NOT play a conference championship game
3. Take the rest of your 4 spots by ranking of teams that didn't meet criteria for points 1 and 2. Rankings are by the average of all computer rankings. No polls should play into ranking at all.

Depending on who ends up without a CCG, you could also schedule a play-in game between conferences without a CCG (i.e. Big 12, MWC)

I think having the conference champs as PART of it is important because of some of the good points in the article.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and if anyone has some real information on which conferences get to weigh in at these meetings, who is leaning towards what, whether it's based on votes (or what weight each carries), we'll probably get a better idea of what may happen ... or we'll at least have something to talk about.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ccg means those teams should fall into #3

By his way, would Bama have been left out?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Lsu
2. Okie st
3. Bama
4. Stanford

Thinking about last year

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah .. seems so but oregon actually would've been given the nod .. They were the Pac champs and in the top 6, even though Stanford was ranked higher. There has to be a little "in" for the Alabama of last year.

I've got another little caveat. A conference shouldn't be able to have more than two teams in the playoff period, unless there's no other Top 10 team that fits the bill.