• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Golf Courses in every state

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came across this link on Yahoo,
http://golf-courses.wanderbat.com/s...edium=sponsored&utm_campaign=ao.ss.yh.mx.5531
http://golf-courses.wanderbat.com/s...edium=sponsored&utm_campaign=ao.ss.yh.mx.5531

and decided to see what the writer had to say.

I have never played the course chosen for NH, however I have been to the Mt Washington area many times. It is definitely beautiful up there and the Grand Hotel is spectacular.

The_Best_Golf_Course_in_Every_State_7318_5531.png

but, I've never heard anyone in my golf circle say it was the best course in NH. Of the courses I've played I would choose Owl's Nest in Campton, It has some spectacular mountain and lake scenery and is an excellent layout.

Kinda curious to see what you golfers have to say about the choice for your state.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came across this link on Yahoo,

and decided to see what the writer had to say.

I have never played the course chosen for NH, however I have been to the Mt Washington area many times. It is definitely beautiful up there and the Grand Hotel is spectacular.

View attachment 85208

but, I've never heard anyone in my golf circle say it was the best course in NH. Of the courses I've played I would choose Owl's Nest in Campton, It has some spectacular mountain and lake scenery and is an excellent layout.

Kinda curious to see what you golfers have to say about the choice for your state.

No question Augusta National takes GA imo, but there are some other tracks that rival it...I mean really rival it...Ball Ground, Georgia Club are outstanding tracks...never played any of them but walked them.

What I have played on their list... Black Mesa...NM...Paako Ridge was the #1 course by a big margin in NM...both are striking, but Black Mesa is not as friendly to play for a 1st timer...far too many blind tee shots. We played Paako like 5 or 6 times (back then 36 a day was a gimme)..the others only once.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interlachen Country Club in Minnesota is private, so I'll never know.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't actually played Coeur d'Alene, ID yet. I know many people that have and most prefer the nearby Circling Raven (Indian Res) course. Coeur d'Alene is purported to be immaculately manicured and the floating 14th green is said to be pretty damn cool (my Dad claims they were moving the green while he was hitting..). I live in the southern part of the state and we have several good public courses in the area. Another one that is said to be amazing is about 100 miles north of me in McCall:
"Whitetail Club’s award-winning 7,200 yard, par-72 course was designed by two-time U.S. Open winner Andy North and veteran golf architect Roger Packard. One of their design goals was to incorporate the natural environment of the area, so the course’s 18 holes include trout-filled ponds, old-growth Ponderosa pines, and large granite boulders. The result is a Golf Digest “America’s 100 Greatest” course that’s both challenging and stunningly beautiful."
th?id=OIP.M11859f8c3295902012cb66d4fd9267d2o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

th?id=OIP.M739fff2f8a80a8b48dfebe9caebfebe6o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg
I have contacts up there, but for some reason I haven't played there yet. My folks have a place on the Municipal course up in McCall (27 holes) so I generally play that one when I go up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interlachen Country Club in Minnesota is private, so I'll never know.

Same here...a good bit of them I'm guessing.

Back in 1998 we started going on an annual golf trip, and the second yr was kind of disappointing...not a bad courses but not much better than what we play every weekend...so we decided to us a higher standard...Golf digest had been publishing a top 100 in America Golf course list...from '00 until our last trip in '12 we mostly picked courses off their list that didn't cost $400 a rd like Pebble for our little trip...every one was outstanding.

Ocean Hammock, Palm Coast FL was the most expensive but entirely worth it...imo, it's better than TPC Sawgrass which was a little more actually.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just rename that "the most well known course for each state". The Home Course is a much nicer course than Chambers Bay as far as actually going out to play golf. I just walked Chambers Bay during the US Open and it's just brutal. The amenities are non-existent as well. It's probably a better test for PGA pro's but how often are they actually going to show up and play there? TPC at Snoqualmie's another course that I'd rate above it as well as far as bucket list courses in WA.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massachusetts: Best In State Rankings | Golf Digest

1. (1) The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill †
  2. (3) Boston G.C., Hingham †
  3. (2) Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth †
  4. (4) Kittansett Club, Marion †
  5. (6) Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton
  6. (5) Essex County Club, Manchester
  7. (9) Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham
  8. (8) Nantucket G.C., Siasconset (above)
  9. (7) Salem C.C., Peabody
  10. (11) TPC Boston, Norton
  11. (12) Winchester C.C., Winchester
  12. (19) Taconic G.C., Williamstown ★
  13. (15) Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro
  14. (10) The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton
  15. (17) Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port
  16. (14) Charles River C.C., Newton
  17. (16) Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset
  18. (20) Worcester C.C., Worcester
  19. (18) Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville
  20. (-) International G.C. (The Pines), Bolton

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. (1) Augusta National G.C. (above), Augusta †
  2. (2) Peachtree G.C., Atlanta †
  3. (3) East Lake G.C., Atlanta Holyoke Δ
  4. (4) Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands), Johns Creek Δ
  5. (5) Ocean Forest G.C., Sea Island Δ
  6. (6) Atlanta C.C., Marietta Δ
  7. (8) Sea Island G.C. (Seaside), St. Simons Island Δ √ ★
  8. (14) Atlanta Athletic Club (Riverside), Johns Creek
  9. (7) Hawks Ridge G.C., Ball Ground
  10. (9) Ansley G.C. (Settindown Creek), Roswell
  11. (12) G.C. of Georgia (Lakeside), Alpharetta
  12. (10) G.C. at Cuscowilla, Eatonton √ ★
  13. (15) Augusta C.C., Augusta
  14. (11) Champions Retreat G.C. (Bluff/Island), Evans
  15. (-) Great Waters at Reynolds Plantation, Eatonton √ ★
  16. (-) G.C. of Georgia (Creekside), Alpharetta
  17. (20) The Creek Club at Reynolds Plantation, Greensboro
  18. (16) The River Club, Suwanee
  19. (19) The Standard Club, Johns Creek
  20. (13) The Farm G.C., Rocky Face
The is the GA list from GD and I've been lucky enough to actually play a few...noted in Bold. I'm surprised TPC Sugarloaf and Crabapple are not on this list.

Settindown is a very difficult golf course...I think it's been a USO qualifier. Sea Island might be the highest ranked public access track, but lake Oconee has the best collection of public access golf in the state...pricey but most are worth it...Cuscowilla is the working man's Augusta National...Ben Crenshaw clearly was influenced by AN when they designed the green complexes.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. (9) Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham
Played here a few times pretty good course.... The par 5s always F me though... They get into my head... Never done well on them. I usually f up my drive into the woods and then it's all downhill from there

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question Augusta National takes GA imo, but there are some other tracks that rival it...I mean really rival it...Ball Ground, Georgia Club are outstanding tracks...never played any of them but walked them.

What I have played on their list... Black Mesa...NM...Paako Ridge was the #1 course by a big margin in NM...both are striking, but Black Mesa is not as friendly to play for a 1st timer...far too many blind tee shots. We played Paako like 5 or 6 times (back then 36 a day was a gimme)..the others only once.

Hawks Ridge may have a Ball Ground address, but I assure you, it is in Free Home.

You're talking to a guy that spent his first 21 years old life in Ball Ground.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't actually played Coeur d'Alene, ID yet. I know many people that have and most prefer the nearby Circling Raven (Indian Res) course. Coeur d'Alene is purported to be immaculately manicured and the floating 14th green is said to be pretty damn cool (my Dad claims they were moving the green while he was hitting..). I live in the southern part of the state and we have several good public courses in the area. Another one that is said to be amazing is about 100 miles north of me in McCall:
"Whitetail Club’s award-winning 7,200 yard, par-72 course was designed by two-time U.S. Open winner Andy North and veteran golf architect Roger Packard. One of their design goals was to incorporate the natural environment of the area, so the course’s 18 holes include trout-filled ponds, old-growth Ponderosa pines, and large granite boulders. The result is a Golf Digest “America’s 100 Greatest” course that’s both challenging and stunningly beautiful."
View attachment 85290

View attachment 85291
I have contacts up there, but for some reason I haven't played there yet. My folks have a place on the Municipal course up in McCall (27 holes) so I generally play that one when I go up.
Played it a dozen times (usually company events) and it is fun. It is an expensive round. I think the last time was about 10 years ago and it was still $130. When Hagadone had the coarse built he wanted it to be a positive experience for all visitors. Most all of the fairways slope into the center. Usually very friendly pin placements as well. But all the fluff, from caddies, drink carts that offer the next round before anyone could finish a 20 oz Bloody Mary, to personalized bag plaques, that makes for a first class golf experience.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks Ridge may have a Ball Ground address, but I assure you, it is in Free Home.

You're talking to a guy that spent his first 21 years old life in Ball Ground.

I was up there for the SR tour guys event a couple of years ago...awesome track. Several Braves are members up there I understand...Chipper, Glavin, probably Smoltz.

Thx on the fish cleaning tip btw.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was up there for the SR tour guys event a couple of years ago...awesome track. Several Braves are members up there I understand...Chipper, Glavin, probably Smoltz.

Thx on the fish cleaning tip btw.

John Smoltz lived there at one time. The Red Sox flew in on a helicopter to sign him to the one year deal for his last season(big mistake BTW) and Javy Lopez still lives there as far as I know.