• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best conference?

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the theory is that because every team in the B10 has the capability of beating every other team in the B10 that the conference has gotten worse??? I think you guys are having a different argument than what you think you are having. If you are talking about which league is best AT THE TOP then the ACC has a case. If you are speaking to the conference in its totality its still the B10 or the B12 with the P12 also having an argument IMO

This is part of the "associative theorem" where the following holds true:

If the SEC football can't use that excuse, it isn't allowed in basketball.

:) Seriously... the SEC had the same issue in the past 6 years as we in the B1G are having in basketball this year. My loyalty crosses over both conferences, so I can't get a win here!

This highlights the problem with human polls and too much value being put in wins and losses and not the quality of wins and losses with all factors considered.

Example: If the #1 team in the nation (regardless of who they are) have 3 of their top 5 players unavailable (regardless of why) but they will be available for the remainder of the season... and they lose a close game to another top ranked team, should they fall in the polls?

My opinion: No, but that is not the way our system works. Wins and Losses are more important than quality of wins and losses ... *cough* Wichita...

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the inclusion of the Big East in 1979:

FF by conference

ACC: 29
B1G: 23
Big East: 20
SEC: 20
Big 8/12: 13
PAC-10: 10

National Championships with runner ups In Parentheses

ACC: 10 (6)
Big East: 7 (5)
SEC: 6 (3)
B1G: 5 (3)
PAC-10: 2 (3)

That says it all for the most part. Although the ACC now has Cuse and Louisville (next year)

Hopefully that puts it in perspective.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is part of the "associative theorem" where the following holds true:

If the SEC football can't use that excuse, it isn't allowed in basketball.

:) Seriously... the SEC had the same issue in the past 6 years as we in the B1G are having in basketball this year. My loyalty crosses over both conferences, so I can't get a win here!

This highlights the problem with human polls and too much value being put in wins and losses and not the quality of wins and losses with all factors considered.

Example: If the #1 team in the nation (regardless of who they are) have 3 of their top 5 players unavailable (regardless of why) but they will be available for the remainder of the season... and they lose a close game to another top ranked team, should they fall in the polls?

My opinion: No, but that is not the way our system works. Wins and Losses are more important than quality of wins and losses ... *cough* Wichita...

The only difference between SEC football and B1G basketball is that SEC football teams always dominate preseason rankings. Not to mention, there are several B1G basketball schools who played excellent OOC schedules this year, so they deserved their ranking boost.

Wisconsin OOC: Florida, SLU, Virginia, Green Bay
Michigan St. OOC: Kentucky, UNC, Georgetown, Texas
Michigan OOC: Duke, Arizona, Iowa State, Stanford
Nebraska OOC: Creighton, Cincinnati, UMass

Teams in the B1G beating other teams in the B1G doesn't make the conference as a whole any better or worse. If you're going to rate the quality of a conference as a whole (not just the top tier) OOC Record along with OOC SOS are the most important factors to look at.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the inclusion of the Big East in 1979:

FF by conference

ACC: 29
B1G: 23
Big East: 20
SEC: 20
Big 8/12: 13
PAC-10: 10

National Championships with runner ups In Parentheses

ACC: 10 (6)
Big East: 7 (5)
SEC: 6 (3)
B1G: 5 (3)
PAC-10: 2 (3)

That says it all for the most part. Although the ACC now has Cuse and Louisville (next year)

Hopefully that puts it in perspective.

We've got 4 of THOSE, 1 of THOSE, and another of THOSE.

I'll take it, since I don't give a flying fuck about anything else or anyone else in our conference.

Hoping to add 1 more of THOSE, and one more of THOSE, and NOT one more of THOSE to our total this year

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got 4 of THOSE, 1 of THOSE, and another of THOSE.

I'll take it, since I don't give a flying fuck about anything else or anyone else in our conference.

Hoping to add 1 more of THOSE, and one more of THOSE, and NOT one more of THOSE to our total this year

I only watch Zona from the PAC too.

I still remember Simon and Bibby, 97 right?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only watch Zona from the PAC too.

I still remember Simon and Bibby, 97 right?

Yessir. Only team ever to beat 3 #1 seeds on the way to the title because, well you know, that's hard

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only difference between SEC football and B1G basketball is that SEC football teams always dominate preseason rankings. Not to mention, there are several B1G basketball schools who played excellent OOC schedules this year, so they deserved their ranking boost.

Wisconsin OOC: Florida, SLU, Virginia, Green Bay
Michigan St. OOC: Kentucky, UNC, Georgetown, Texas
Michigan OOC: Duke, Arizona, Iowa State, Stanford
Nebraska OOC: Creighton, Cincinnati, UMass

Teams in the B1G beating other teams in the B1G doesn't make the conference as a whole any better or worse. If you're going to rate the quality of a conference as a whole (not just the top tier) OOC Record along with OOC SOS are the most important factors to look at.

Yeah, but they value wins and losses in the early season... but late in the season what I love about basketball is they start valuing level of competition which football doesn't do as good of a job doing.

Early in the season when Florida lost to Wisky, all we heard was "a loss is a loss... no excuses half your team wasn't there..." which was fine. But I have heard about 20 interviews lately including one from a committee member and they are all given Florida credit for being undefeated since they have a full team. Which I know will annoy you, but that diminishes the Wisky position a bit. Add to that SLU has struggled a bit losing to Duquesne this past weekend which looked really bad.....Virginia is Jekyl and Hyde (I think Tenn beat them, but a fair margin.. and Green Bay... VCU.).

So you can't just cherry pick the stats that support.. you also have to subtract as we move into March.

Wisky is still a dangerous team... I am not saying otherwise, but looking at the above... Michigan has the most impressive OOC with wins against Zona and Duke.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but they value wins and losses in the early season... but late in the season what I love about basketball is they start valuing level of competition which football doesn't do as good of a job doing.

Wisky is still a dangerous team... I am not saying otherwise, but looking at the above... Michigan has the most impressive OOC with wins against Zona and Duke.

All that is spot on and I agree Michigan, of the teams mentioned has the legit OOC wins; the rest are skewed.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Early in the season when Florida lost to Wisky, all we heard was "a loss is a loss... no excuses half your team wasn't there..." which was fine. But I have heard about 20 interviews lately including one from a committee member and they are all given Florida credit for being undefeated since they have a full team. Which I know will annoy you, but that diminishes the Wisky position a bit. Add to that SLU has struggled a bit losing to Duquesne this past weekend which looked really bad.....Virginia is Jekyl and Hyde (I think Tenn beat them, but a fair margin.. and Green Bay... VCU.).

So you can't just cherry pick the stats that support.. you also have to subtract as we move into March.

Yeah, UVa lost to VCU, Green Bay and Tennessee, but all those teams have RPI's under 53. Not bad losses by any stretch.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan lost both those games. Best OOC win for Michigan is Stanford.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big12. they had an amazing OOC this yr. they are beating up on each other. I don't know how to judge the big 10. It is either really tough or really average. the rest of the conferences are top heavy.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big12. they had an amazing OOC this yr. they are beating up on each other. I don't know how to judge the big 10. It is either really tough or really average. the rest of the conferences are top heavy.

Eh... Wisconsin and MSU have more OOC top 25 RPI wins than the entire B12 does COMBINED. Not sure how amazing that is... LOL

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... Wisconsin and MSU have more OOC top 25 RPI wins than the entire B12 does COMBINED. Not sure how amazing that is... LOL

yet the big 12 has more wins over the top 50 in the rpi with 2 less teams

Last edited by a moderator:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet the big 12 has more wins over the top 50 in the rpi with 2 less teams

Again, it's the great coaches that are willing to jeopardize games early in an effort to get their teams playing team ball. I would be more interested in top 50 wins that come after January 1 as opposed to the wins that the now losing team homers are citing as something that makes their team look better and them feel better. Virginia, Louisville and North Carolina all had stupid loses early against teams they can now easily beat. That's just good coaching by people who are just a little better at what they do than the rest.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rmilia1, I just saw a great comparison of the type you like to do. It showed Oklahoma States numbers, compared with another mystery team.

Oklahoma State's looked about the same; the mystery team was Iowa.

Then they talked how OSU was a bubble team, yet Iowa was a 6 seed (projections as of now).

Thought it was an interesting comparison, of the type you do, trying to guess the team by the numbers.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rmilia1, I just saw a great comparison of the type you like to do. It showed Oklahoma States numbers, compared with another mystery team.

Oklahoma State's looked about the same; the mystery team was Iowa.

Then they talked how OSU was a bubble team, yet Iowa was a 6 seed (projections as of now).

Thought it was an interesting comparison, of the type you do, trying to guess the team by the numbers.

no doubt man. OSU is getting a bad rap IMO. The hit a terrible stretch but their resume itself is still wayyy more tourney worthy than most teams a lot of people have solidly in as of now.