• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best and worst Seahawks draft picks

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the midget secondary we had before Pete showed up.:lol:

I know! Pete didn't waste much time addressing that issue.... I remember that secondary getting torched over and over back then ...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know! Pete didn't waste much time addressing that issue.... I remember that secondary getting torched over and over back then ...
Damn it was horrible, especially playing the Cards with Fitz. It was like a full grown man playing against teenage kids.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think "The Boz" was your worst first round pick ever(still better than the Rams worst ever lol). Mirer at least performed well for a little while. Considering the hype Boz came in with, he did crap. All that everyone remembers him for is getting run over by Bo Jackson on his way to the end zone...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson, but my #1 and #2 best for this list are Walter Jones and Cortez Kennedy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson, but my #1 and #2 best for this list are Walter Jones and Cortez Kennedy.
I could meet you half way, Wilson and Walter Jones.:suds: Cortez was awesome also, but I really think Wilson is going to be, IDK..... someone very special for Seahawks fans for generations.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could meet you half way, Wilson and Walter Jones.:suds: Cortez was awesome also, but I really think Wilson is going to be, IDK..... someone very special for Seahawks fans for generations.

Wilson is still young, and I always have a hard time putting a player 4 years in above guys who were the top of their positions for a decade, especially since Wilson isn't even considered to be at top 3 QB. Wilson's been great - and his future is as bright as anyone's right now, but until he can be at QB what Walt and Tez were for OT & DT, I just can't say he was a better draft pick (yes I know he was a 3rd rounder, but that's a two-edged sword with being a steal as well as not having to deal with expectations early).

Now, if in 6 years his career numbers are around 35,000 yards with 250 TDs and a QB rating still around 100, I'll be a lot more satisfied that he belongs in the conversation, but 4 years is a short time to be saying he's a better draft choice than Seahawk icons. Just my opinion.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that I agree that Rick Mirer isn't our worst draft pick - that Dan McGwire was, which isn't something I see many who do these articles agreeing with me on.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed... Someone who get's overlooked for the Hawks is Kevin Mawae... I'd put him 3rd with WJ and Tez 1st & 2nd...

upload_2016-4-21_22-49-4.png

Regarding LJ, this is one of the reasons our franchise has been so successful... We get rid of guys when they don't look like they're going to pan out instead of hanging onto them because they're paid a certain amount or drafted in a certain spot... We moved a 1st rounder in just 2 seasons...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that I agree that Rick Mirer isn't our worst draft pick - that Dan McGwire was, which isn't something I see many who do these articles agreeing with me on.

Agreed... For one, he at least had a good season... Secondly, he netted us a 1st round draft pick that we used to move up in the draft to get, Shawn Springs who turned out to be a very good player for the Hawks...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson could definitely end up being our best but he was a 3rd rounder... I think this was only for 1st round picks...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it was horrible, especially playing the Cards with Fitz. It was like a full grown man playing against teenage kids.

Yep... I remember that Green Bay playoff game also when we were spotted 14, then Favre smiled and dissected our secondary all game long.... That was NON existent defense...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boz is the low hanging fruit for worst pick, but injuries was the reason he didn't work out -- not ability. Despite the one play vs Bo Jackson that he is know best for, Boz was a good LB in the NFL.

If you look at how to judge the best by whether the high expectations of the pick were met, I think you have to rule out guys like RW, Sherm, and Kam. Expectations were minimal on those picks.

The first great pick for me (that I can vividly remember) was Ken Easley. He was the original Kam Chancellor but with better speed & athleticism. Brought instant attitude and toughness to the whole team and was one of the best defensive players in the NFL almost immediately.

Curt Warner is probably next. Our team was absolutely terrible before he showed up, and his arrival coincided with immediate playoff appearances. He could take over games in an era where the RB was already the star of the team. ACL injuries were not common in those days (probably for lack of technology to diagnose properly) and fully recovering from them was even less common, so that put a huge dent in what could possibly have been a HOF type career. Instead, he's probably just the "other" Curt Warner now, but he was an incredible player.

Walter Jones has to be in the top 3 best. Best LT of his era, did it for a long time, first ballot HOF. Just completely shut out even the top pass rushers in the game for almost his whole career. Hard to top that.

Worst? For me, it's probably somewhere in the group of Mirer, Owen Gill, and Dan McGwire.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... For one, he at least had a good season... Secondly, he netted us a 1st round draft pick that we used to move up in the draft to get, Shawn Springs who turned out to be a very good player for the Hawks...

I think we had the Springs pick (1.3) and moved up for Big Walt (1.6).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I would have loved to have seen what Springs would be like playing with the front 7 of the past 3-4 years.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owen Gill. Heh. I feel old. :)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash