• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals to tag kicker Mike Nugent

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think you understand the tag. One of its main advantages is to allow you to keep a (relatively) valuable player for one additional year while you

1) determine if he is worth signing long term (assuming he hasn't consistently shown he's a keeper), or

2) probably as is our case, try to find a replacement without losing that (relatively) valuable player, being left with garbage, and making your team even worse.

Who gives a crap if he makes more money than he deserves for one year. This is about looking out for the interests of the Bengals not only long term, but also short term.

There is no reason not to lock Nugent up long term. None.

Rep since we actually agree on something.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean that Lowery would sign a 1 year deal - Just that I think he would be an upgrade and if we wanted to improve the position through FA that would be one place to look.

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see how it's only one year of overpaying, but I'm not gonna make Reggie Nelson sound like a freakin All-Pro. He was decent, it'd be a stretch to say solid. I don't wanna pay him that kind of money. I'd rather use our money somewhere else on defense. A solid pass rush would make up for a under-average secondary.

Looking at the FA Safeties, I can see what you mean, though. I didn't realize how thin they were.

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Free Agents - Safeties

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We had a good pass rush last year and our safeties KILLED us at times. I'd rather have Nelson than another pass rusher and Taylor Mays starting.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see how it's only one year of overpaying, but I'm not gonna make Reggie Nelson sound like a freakin All-Pro. He was decent, it'd be a stretch to say solid. I don't wanna pay him that kind of money. I'd rather use our money somewhere else on defense. A solid pass rush would make up for a under-average secondary.

Looking at the FA Safeties, I can see what you mean, though. I didn't realize how thin they were.

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Free Agents - Safeties

You're saying that as if we're going to get anywhere near the salary cap limit. What we would pay Nelson with the tag would have no bearing on any other potential acquisitions.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there is a reason to not lock up Nuge for a long term deal. Do you forget who is running this team? Mikey Boy and Co. probably low balled Nugent and he refused to sign, so they put the tag on him.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuge had a pretty good year, but kickers are a dime a dozen....Nelson is not good, but compared to Mays he's an all pro.....I would have franchised Nelson instead.....

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kicker is the most franchised position in the NFL this offseason. I believe there have been 4.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to see Rackers back in stripes:popeye: