• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bell wants 17 million a year

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben threw it 47 times yesterday...I suppose the Steelers are throwing his arm off too...lol.

Yes sir...now we want to cap touches. O brother. Here's to Bell going to PHI so can make $17 mil a yr and have more rational touches....lol
What's the solution? Steelers were going to abuse Bell and not pay him for it. A very seedy practice. Pay per touch? Bonus pay per production? Extra days off? Have a solution?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the solution? Steelers were going to abuse Bell and not pay him for it. A very seedy practice. Pay per touch? Bonus pay per production? Extra days off? Have a solution?

The solution has always been there...the CBA...it paid him the highest at his position for 2018 via the franchise tag.

The team tried to pay him $15 mil + per on a long term deal...nothing seedy about it...Bell did not feel it was adequate for his services.

A per touch bonus laden contract is a bit tricky imo, because on the one hand there is wear and tear talk...the other is enough touches to accomplish said incentives.

Bell has 3 seasons to max out his income from a guaranteed $ perspective, and if he stays healthy as a 30/31 y/o, maybe he can extend his career as a 3rd down RB but not as a top paid player. Knowing how PIT has taken care of their star players, if Bell had signed the 4/60 offer in '17 it's likely his deal would've been restructured adding more guarantees and he would've cashed most all of that contract much like AB, Heyward, Ben, many other key players.

Whatever he signs, I will be curious to see if he surpasses $60mil when it's all cashed in.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost always side with the player, they have a small window and teams rarely show loyalty so get as much as you can while you can. But not this time, Bell is a selfish idiot. I too did the math and have concluded he will never recapture the money he left on the table for this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I want a pony.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost always side with the player, they have a small window and teams rarely show loyalty so get as much as you can while you can. But not this time, Bell is a selfish idiot. I too did the math and have concluded he will never recapture the money he left on the table for this year.

I'm a player guy as well...the window is extremely short and even more so for RBs. I'll never understand his logic of passing on $14.6 mil...you take that and invest in a injury insurance policy so if 2018 was somehow his last season due to injury, he still gets paid enough for a comfortable life the rest of your days...heck, he's a big enough brand that he probably could've gotten the team to fund a portion of the premium.

He'll get a 3rd yr guarantee (PIT was giving him 2)...but I'm struggling to see how he will recoup the money he passed on.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The solution has always been there...the CBA...it paid him the highest at his position for 2018 via the franchise tag.

The team tried to pay him $15 mil + per on a long term deal...nothing seedy about it...Bell did not feel it was adequate for his services.

A per touch bonus laden contract is a bit tricky imo, because on the one hand there is wear and tear talk...the other is enough touches to accomplish said incentives.

Bell has 3 seasons to max out his income from a guaranteed $ perspective, and if he stays healthy as a 30/31 y/o, maybe he can extend his career as a 3rd down RB but not as a top paid player. Knowing how PIT has taken care of their star players, if Bell had signed the 4/60 offer in '17 it's likely his deal would've been restructured adding more guarantees and he would've cashed most all of that contract much like AB, Heyward, Ben, many other key players.

Whatever he signs, I will be curious to see if he surpasses $60mil when it's all cashed in.
That's the team's story. They have a PR department and a lot of local and national influence.

They got you hook, line and sinker.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a player guy as well...the window is extremely short and even more so for RBs. I'll never understand his logic of passing on $14.6 mil...you take that and invest in a injury insurance policy so if 2018 was somehow his last season due to injury, he still gets paid enough for a comfortable life the rest of your days...heck, he's a big enough brand that he probably could've gotten the team to fund a portion of the premium.

He'll get a 3rd yr guarantee (PIT was giving him 2)...but I'm struggling to see how he will recoup the money he passed on.

So by not showing up for week 8, or whatever it was, he lost a year towards free agency right? Won't he be in the same exact situation next off season? Only this time I doubt the team offers him the money of the franchise tag. So there's that.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Only if I cared at all.
You don't care that it's a crafted media campaign, but you use it as evidence anyway??

Clearly you have some soul searching to do. You are an independent man. Act like one.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't this the same player that cried last year when he wasn't getting the ball enough after losing to Jacksonville in the regular season in an attempt to put up a monster year that is now crying he was overused in 2017?

I can't wait to see who ponies up the big bucks for him. Wants more that Gurley but:

1. Has had 2 drug suspensions with the next likely costing him a season
2. Is 2 1/2 years older that Gurley without the baggage and wear and tear
3. Decided to skip the AFC Championship game walk through and showed up late to the game
4. Played with one of the best OL's and WR plus a future HOF QB
5. Sat out a season because he was unhappy with 14.5 million.
6. Wouldn't even return a phone call from Tomlin

Also, a portion of the guarantee that Gurley received is a yearly roster bonus. In the even he gets hurt with a career ending injury, he would lose a decent size of that guarantee which I think is 22.5 million over 4 years. It is a sweet deal if he plays through 2023.

I would expect Bell to receive a good deal but fall short of Gurley money and never recoup the 14.5 million he walked away from. In fact I doubt his offer will be much better that the Steelers reported off of $70 million over 5 years with around 33 million guaranteed.

With his obsession with the guaranteed # I would worry he may get his big payday and lose motivation especially if he goes to a perennial losing franchise.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want 1 million every 10 years and I"m a happy @#^#@ ucker .....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers will forever get the last laugh on Bell. 1500 touches in just 62 games. A workload like that a running back old prematurely. Steelers used him all up and now some other idiot franchise is going to pay him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't care that it's a crafted media campaign, but you use it as evidence anyway??

Clearly you have some soul searching to do. You are an independent man. Act like one.

LOL...all this time I'm thinking I'm providing you with the "other side" of the story. I've long ago heard Bell's side and the team's side and formed my opinion. You seemed to be running with every tweet Bell put out so I thought you needed a more balanced perspective. Now that you have both, I don't care which side you take.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers will forever get the last laugh on Bell. 1500 touches in just 62 games. A workload like that a running back old prematurely. Steelers used him all up and now some other idiot franchise is going to pay him.
Your solution? WRs that catch less than Leveon are making over 15 million per year on their current deals.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...all this time I'm thinking I'm providing you with the "other side" of the story. I've long ago heard Bell's side and the team's side and formed my opinion. You seemed to be running with every tweet Bell put out so I thought you needed a more balanced perspective. Now that you have both, I don't care which side you take.
We know the Steelers' side.

The Steelers want the RB market to remain suppressed. The Steelers want to be able to abuse RBs financially, getting more in production than they are paying for. It's a problem and they don't have the courage or cap wherewithal to do something about it, instead telling their elite RB to go fuck himself.

We knew that all before you recited the Steelers' Public Relations department's literature.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know the Steelers' side.

The Steelers want the RB market to remain suppressed. The Steelers want to be able to abuse RBs financially, getting more in production than they are paying for. It's a problem and they don't have the courage or cap wherewithal to do something about it, instead telling their elite RB to go fuck himself.

We knew that all before you recited the Steelers' Public Relations department's literature.

Okay then, we both know the player's side and the team's side and we've formed an opinion.

I don't really think you knew the Steelers position based on some of your comments, but you do now so my work is done here.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He can maybe get a big payday from some desperate team and so be it. It is what it is. The one thing that comes out of all of this (maybe) is something might change regarding the franchise tag down the road. I don't know for sure though. And it may help get some of the younger guys a good payday down the road but I don't think there is any altruism in this move by Bell. I think he's a douche but that's just my personal feelings, not based on any facts.
One serious question I have about all of this though. I'll preface this by saying Bell has been a great dual threat back for the last few years and is a game changer but do you guys think he's still in the conversation as one of the best out there. I'm having trouble keeping him top 5 after a full season off. I'd definitely put Gurley at the top and maybe Kamara, Hunt, Gordon and Barkley. Even Zeke. I'm not jumping on the Connor bandwagon yet though. Good kid having a good year tho.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He can maybe get a big payday from some desperate team and so be it. It is what it is. The one thing that comes out of all of this (maybe) is something might change regarding the franchise tag down the road. I don't know for sure though. And it may help get some of the younger guys a good payday down the road but I don't think there is any altruism in this move by Bell. I think he's a douche but that's just my personal feelings, not based on any facts.
One serious question I have about all of this though. I'll preface this by saying Bell has been a great dual threat back for the last few years and is a game changer but do you guys think he's still in the conversation as one of the best out there. I'm having trouble keeping him top 5 after a full season off. I'd definitely put Gurley at the top and maybe Kamara, Hunt, Gordon and Barkley. Even Zeke. I'm not jumping on the Connor bandwagon yet though. Good kid having a good year tho.
This is the biggest thing. There's no way I'm giving a guy elite level money for a RB when he's been away from the league for a full year. That just screams season-ending injury early on in his next season. Not to mention he's another year closer to 30 and has a lot of wear and tear.